Insurance coverage in ontario

kitten992107_
on 9/25/14 2:04 am

Hi there i have just started process to WLS and want to make sure i have all my ducks in a row to make things easier on everyone I did have a couple questions:

1) Did anyone get denied for the surgury casue i wasnt going to be covered

2) do I have to but in a claim to qualify?

3) how much time should i leave myself to get the insurance part covered?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and please add me as friends to support each other, I have tried this weightloss on my own and its not helping so I am tring to reaching out to people especially to those that have and are in my shoes we know what each other is going through.I will try to help as much as possiable

Karen M.
on 9/25/14 3:28 am, edited 9/25/14 3:29 am - Mississauga, Canada

All surgeries are funded by OHIP. You do not have to apply. You do, however, have to get approved by the bariatric centre that the Bariatric registry assigns you to (you are referred to the registry via your family doctor).

Edited to add: You have a LOT of reading and learning to do. Please read through previous posts and pages of posts on this forum. You will find many, if not all, answers to your beginning questions.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

sarakarolina
on 9/25/14 6:22 am

What are the steps?  My doctor sent in my form and now i have orientation on Wednesday.  What happens next?

Karen M.
on 9/25/14 6:34 am, edited 9/25/14 6:35 am - Mississauga, Canada

I can answer, but please keep I mind that it is second-hand knowledge from reading hundreds of posts here on the Ontario forum - when I had surgery 8.5 years ago there was no Bariatric Registry or Centres.

At the orientation you will receive an overview of weight loss surgery, information on the process, appointments you will have to have (experts you will have to see), etc. You will then advise them whether you wish to continue with the process.

From there you will get a call to set up appointments to see a nutritionist (or dietician), social worker (or psych), nurse, surgeon, internist. (this can take many months)

Once those are all complete, you will be advised if you are approved for surgery and will eventually receive a surgery date. (this can also take many months)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active
Recent Topics