time off work in ontario

kitten992107_
on 10/2/14 3:56 am

I have never been admitted to a hospital and i am still in the early stages of getting all my ppointments for the surgery but i am wondering what I would need from the doctor or work or both to qualify for medical leave, I have talked to Canada revenue but looking for what other people did or experienced.

Referral-10/30/2018, Orientation-January/30/2019,

Catw
on 10/2/14 4:19 am - Arnprior, Canada

It would depend on where you work, and what kind of sick leave you have.  Your best bet would be to talk to someone in HR about what is needed/covered.  I just needed a doctor's note, but some need forms filled out.  If you don't have sick leave, then you may need to talk to EI to get forms for short term disability or whatever they call it.

Cathy

Blueiiis
on 10/2/14 5:55 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

Hello, I did not have short term disabikity through my job, but did qualify for EI medical leave.  If you have worked the required number of hours in the last year, all you need is your ROE that indicates that you are on sick leave.  Then you can apply online with EI on your last day worked (to speed up the process) and drop off or mail in your ROE if your employer does not electronically submit it. I qualified for the total 15 weeks but am only taking 7.

There is a two week waiting period where you receive no benefits. 

Good luck.

kitten992107_
on 10/2/14 7:14 am

Thank you for your reply,What is the difference between ei and medical leave?

Referral-10/30/2018, Orientation-January/30/2019,

Karen M.
on 10/2/14 8:14 am - Mississauga, Canada

I think your first place to get information is the Human Resources department at your employer, as some have short term leave and some don't. You need to find out what your work offers and go from there. They will be able to advise you exactly what you need to do.

When speaking with them, keep in mind that your weight loss surgery is NOT designated as an "elective surgery", like plastic surgery would be, because it is completely funded by OHIP. (In case they try to tell you otherwise). Also, you are not required to disclose the type or reason for your surgery, just that you need to have (OHIP approved) surgery.

Good luck.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Blueiiis
on 10/2/14 11:17 pm - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

Under the EI umbrella, you can apply for sick leave benefits, for a certain amount of time.  

Many companies also have short term disability that you may be entitled to. I worked for a small company (10 people) and was not covered by insurance so had to go through EI to receive the sick leave benefits.

(deactivated member)
on 10/2/14 9:13 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

The rules are very different (per Employment Standards Act)  if you happen to work for a company with under 50 employees, like I do. Luckily my employer has been very understanding in allowing me the time off. 

Blueiiis
on 10/2/14 11:19 pm - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

Really? My job had 10 people, I was still entitled to EI as I pay into it.  My job was not protected, but was allowed to take the time off - I had a Doctors note. 

Karen M.
on 10/3/14 12:43 am - Mississauga, Canada

You were lucky. Jennifer ___34 is right with respect to the Employment Standards Act.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Sandra L.
on 10/2/14 10:22 am

Here is the link for EI sick leave.   http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sc/ei/benefits/sickness.shtml

Most Active
Recent Topics