Question about Vitamins

1HealthyMomma
on 11/5/14 5:44 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 10/07/14

I was just wondering when people started taking vitamins in pill form? I went to my 4 week class and seen the nurse today and they said 3-4 months and some people try earlier so not a clear answer. I was really wondering what some of your experiences where? Thanks so much for any info.

Lisa

Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass On October 7,2014 with Dr. Hagen   

msmuggins
on 11/5/14 6:19 am - Canada
RNY on 01/05/15

Hi Lisa, I'm going through TWH and although their manual suggests that you should use chewable vitamins for 4 weeks before switching to pills, I asked if it would be ok to take vitamins in capsules (gel) from Day 3 onward because I'm not a fan of chewables.  The official response was that it wasn't necessary to take chewables, that a capsule was fine.  I'm still pre-op so obviously I haven't tried this yet, but the clinic ok'd it.  Obviously, I'd proceed with the advice from your centre, but my centre says a pill is ok.

~ Per aspera ad astra ☆彡 

Hollynik
on 11/5/14 8:30 am - Canada

That seems to be the answer I get when I ask anything at HRRH too.  I think because everyone is different they don't want to say go ahead and then you have problems.  I am 12 weeks post op and switched over to pill form multivitamin just before 11 weeks and had no problems at all.  I took senakot a few times around 4-5 weeks but they are very small pills.  Vitamins are quite large so if you decide to try it maybe cut them in half for the first few days then try them whole and see how you feel.

1HealthyMomma
on 11/5/14 10:06 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 10/07/14

Thanks for the replies. I'm only 4 weeks and the last thing I want is any problems but I really dislike the chewable and liquid I have been taking. Thanks again

Lisa

Needanewbeginning
on 11/5/14 11:08 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

I am thru HRRH, I crushed mine for only a few days then took them whole. The rule I was told was if they were the size of a smartee then they were fine.

Annette 👍

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

CCs_mum
on 11/5/14 10:41 pm

I never had issues with pills.

I crushed my vitamins or had the chewable kind for the first two weeks but then just started swallowing them.  I did check with my clinic and they said "as long as you're able to do so, go for it".

Have learned that I can't measure my journey only by what I've lost.  I've gained health and extra time on this earth ... that is most important

1HealthyMomma
on 11/6/14 12:29 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 10/07/14

Thanks again everyone for info.

Lisa

Most Active
Recent Topics