Lotions & Potions?

beme_atlast
on 12/21/14 12:28 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/29/14

Hi All.... Well, we all know that there is no magic cure for loose & sagging skin but I have to ask this question anyway. Having lost almost 150 pounds (and still 100 to go) I have loose wrinkled skin on my face & a lovely turkey neck. I'm not young enough to think it will bounce back. It's too soon for surgery even if I could afford it.  At this point even a temporary improvement will make me feel better. So many products advertise that they improve "the look" of wrinkles and firmness, so what are the best creams/lotions you've tried???

Jane

HW-414, Start Opti-398, PS-369.1,GW-170... SURGERY Dr.Klein-Apr 29/14!!! 

NorthernStar
on 12/21/14 12:50 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

I am huge into skincare and my favourite line is Paula's Choice. I highly recommend wearing sunscreen daily and using a retinol product, either as a serum or in your moisturizer. It does NOT need to be expensive, but retinol is the only ingredient proven to actually reduce wrinkles (it stimulates your skin's own collagen production). I use PC retinol serum. It will make a difference in the overall appearance of your skin but likely won't help the loose skin. Sadly, not much you can do about that outside of surgery. 

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

msmuggins
on 12/21/14 1:22 am - Canada
RNY on 01/05/15

NorthernStar, is that Paula Begoun's skincare line?  I've been dying to try it.  Do you use her whole line or just the serum?  I've been pondering getting some.  I agree with you about Retinol -- I was tempted to go to the Dermatologist to get a prescription cream, but Paula's is an option too. Thanks for sharing this!

~ Per aspera ad astra ☆彡 

NorthernStar
on 12/21/14 1:36 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Yes it is!! I am obsessed with it. Almost everything I use is from her line, and I use almost everything she makes! I've not been a big fan of her sunscreens though, so I use a basic Olay moisturizer with SPF for that. Unless I'm out and about in the summer, then I use some serious SPF 60 or higher.

You can get a retin-A prescription from a derm which is a higher concentration of the retinol in any OTC product. This is also good and when the day comes, I will get one as well but I'm hanging in with the retinol for now.

*Lindsey*

msmuggins
on 12/21/14 2:38 am - Canada
RNY on 01/05/15

Thanks for recommending Paula's Choice -- they have a sale on retinol products today, so I went ahead and ordered some.  I've followed Paula since she wrote the "Don't Go To The Beauty Counter Without Me" series.  I've wanted to try her products for awhile but never took the plunge.  Today I purchased a few of her retinol based products and one C-serum booster.  Looking forward to trying them all when they arrive.

Did you by chance use her scar treatment on your incisions?  If so, let me know if it helped.  I ordered some in any case for a burn mark that I have on my inner wrist, but thought it might come in handy for the surgery scars too once they are healed enough for things like this to be applied...

~ Per aspera ad astra ☆彡 

NorthernStar
on 12/21/14 2:53 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

I didn't, it wasn't available at the time I had surgery. I did use Bio Oil though, I'm not sure how much it helped but my scars aren't terrible so maybe it was ok. I would give Paula's a try though if I had another concern. I love the C-serum booster, I ran out of it and wasn't due to place an order for a while so I went a few months without it. It made a huge difference in my skin! I was glad to get it back, I hope you like it too.

*Lindsey*

Most Active
Recent Topics