Weight Loss Surgery Cookbooks

Clara2019
on 7/7/19 8:12 pm
RNY on 05/01/19

My surgery is mid-September and I'm concentrating on preparation over the summer, including trying out new to me recipes. No shortage of titles, and some specific to the type of surgery. Are they a valuable resource? Does anyone have a recommendation for any of the WLS cookbooks?

Thanks

selkiem
on 7/10/19 6:38 am

I bought two - FiErst, Fresh Start Bariatric Cookbook (Sarah Kent)- and am REALLY happy with this one. It is a more down to earth cookbook with straightforward recipes- nothing super fancy - deals with from right after surgery through the gamut (i.e. early post-op foods to back to "normal" eating). Has a good introduction- goes into various things about the surgery,what to expect, gives a good breakdown of stages (full liquid to advance to general foods). Then chapters are from BReakfast, Vegetables, Dips and Sides, Vegetarian Dinners, Fish and Seafood Dinners, Poultry Dinners, Pork and Beef Dinners, Drinks and Desserts and Dressings, Sauces and Seasonsings (love this last one and using many of them on a regular basis now). Recipes are basic, easy and use ingredients most of us have in our kitchens - also provides healthy variations on old favourites.

The second I bought was Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery (Patt Levine and Michele Bontempo-Saray. Not crazy about it - but it comes down to prefrence. This second one has a lot of what I would term fancier recipes - lots of use of red and white wine in sauces, an emphasis (to my mind) on seafood/fish - which I hate both (am allergic to shellfish too). There are probably a few recipes I would use in this book and it is helpful that they give the various portions for the type of surgery and stage for each recipe - but not really my cup of tea.

Most Active
Recent Topics