Prenatal multivitamin

fernando0810
on 9/24/19 6:48 am
VSG on 09/16/19

So im over a week after gave my surgery and had my first post-op appointment and the nurse told me that i need to start taking prenatal multivitamins has anyone else been told this doesnt sound right to me

Meggles07
on 9/24/19 8:06 am - Canada

That's what I take -- it has more iron per pill than regular multivitamins. Some people choose to take regular multis and an extra iron but you should definitely check with the clinic if you want to do something different. It also really depends on your blood work and how your levels track over time. Recently my iron has dropped so I've also added Feramax iron.

wrkinprogress
on 9/25/19 5:23 am

You are correct,,, that is what our team told us to take. I buy the Costco prenatal vitamins and my blood work has been good ever since surgery 10 months ago. Meg is right that they just have a few extra nutrients over a regular multi vitamin so I'd follow the instructions they gave you.

selkiem
on 9/27/19 7:11 am

that's absolutely right - we all take them - men and women. All it means is there are larger doses and more vitamins than regular multivitamins and as we are all experiencing malabsorption you need heavier vitamin doses. There is nothing inherently "feminine" about them. Nothing that will affect tetesterone etc - just larger doses of what we need.

OnlineAnnie
on 9/29/19 10:33 pm

Do you get to skip having to take iron if you take prenatal vitamins? My nutritionist suggests centrum select 50+ for me but I'm interested in hearing about what others are taking.

selkiem
on 10/4/19 8:00 am

My GP monitors things like iron regularly - at the moment I don't need it as diet/vitamins seem to be doing the trick. But around every four months he sends me for blood tests. I am almost 4 months post-op.

Kath L
on 10/22/19 10:38 am

I'm surprised they didn't start you on them pre-surgery. I have been on them now since my appointment with the dietician and will be on them for life.

Referral: Feb 14/17; Processed: Apr 28/17; Hamilton Orientation: July 24/17; Pre-Nutrition: Oct 27/17; Re-Do Hamilton Orientation: Apr 29/19; Pre-Nutrition: May 17/19; Nurse: May 29/19; Blood work: Aug 2/19; EKG: Aug 1/19; Allergist: Aug 15/19; Abdominal Ultrasound: Sep 4/19; Dietician: Sept 9/19; Internist Dr. Taboni: Oct 10/19; Social Work: Nov 06/19; Endoscopy Consult: Nov 08/19; Gastroscopy: Nov 21/19; Meet Dr. Gmora: Dec 4/19 Pre-Op and Surgery Class: Jan 09/20 Surgery: Jan 13/20 OMG they moved it up to Jan 06/20

Most Active
Recent Topics