I am new, I am ready to get real help, but I have so many questions

Christeh
on 1/2/22 8:40 pm - Timmins, On

Hi

I'm Christa

I'm in Ontario and considering my options

I'm on odsp for depression.

So I doubt they cover anything or do they?

I'd like to know what my options are my family doctor is not very helpful.

Are there options for people on odsp or, will I have to pay out of pocket?

I have no idea where to even start

I am so unhappy and sad

Any information would be helpful.

sweetpotato1959
on 1/24/22 9:54 am

You have to do your research on what is available in your country.

Gaining information will help you regain control and CAN help with depression.

I suggest you begin with a totally truthful diet diary...to see where you are starting.. If you can write down yesterdays intake.

You have to begin where you are. No one can do this for you. You are worth the effort to begin the journey.

Other ideas:

tip do not drink any thing, or very tiny amounts with your main meal.

cut out all sugars, even artificial ones they make many people more hungry. Get on a good MVI,.. we have one that is in wally world marked "womens 50+", t is the best all around vitamin i have found..

consider intermittent fasting. you may need to approach it very slowly if you have blood sugar issues or PCOS.

Both my husband, who has not required WLS and i ( 25 years post op-an early surgery that is not done now.) are using this with success. go to you tube and put in search bar. "intermittent fasting".. to gain more information on how to begin and how to increase your ability...to fast for certain parts of the day...you control it, hours and days and do not have to do it daily for it to work.

Cut carbs to as close to 20-40/per day. as you can and increase your protein.

Ginnny
on 2/24/22 1:14 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

There are certain criteria you have to meet to qualify for bariatric surgery in Ontario. This procedure is covered by OHIP but the supplements you will need post op are not covered by insurance as the are typically over the counter.

Your doctor will need to make a referral the Bariatric Centre in your area and they will invite you to an information session.

They do ask for your history of dieting and weightloss efforts and there are many appointments before you actually get referred to a hospital for consideration for the surgery.

Good luck.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

Ginnny
on 2/24/22 1:16 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

sweetpotato1959
on 2/24/22 2:12 pm

Christa, Please look below my post to see info someone else has posted.. Hang in there. I had surgery that as an open surgery more than 25 years ago.. I have been close to goal for 23 years...( a couple of stressful times produced a gain, hen stress was relieved eight came down.. Now the surgeries are not as hard, they do require one jump through hoops- go thru a process to get . start counseling for depression now, and also do a diet diary.. You Must know where you are beginning.This is the first step.. begin to make changes one item at a time.You are worth the efforts that become the journey!

Denise
Patm
on 5/7/22 6:42 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

The surgery is covered by OHIP. The costs for you would be travel to the hospital for appointments. Post surgery it is absolutely essential you take vitamins daily. I do not know which hospitals in the north do this surgery but if you can find out the site may have information for you. They usually have an initial information meeting.

Good Luck

Tabs1918
on 6/17/22 7:09 am
RNY on 07/06/22

Hi Christa,

I was on ODSP for years and tried to do the non surgical route. I would have had to pay for all of my vitamins the optifast and everything else out of pocket, but this was 4 years ago.

I would suggest talking to your worker and explaining what you would like to do and the cost associated with it things may have changed but at the time Optifast wasn't cover because it doesn't have DIN number.

Even taking the surgical route you are required to pay for optifast for at least four weeks ($274) where I am and at least $75 for the bariatric vitamins. Plus possible travel depending on where you live (which you can get an advance travel grant for through odsp). Like I said your best bet is to gather all the information on your specific cost and talk to your worker they may be able to access funds to help but from my experience they could not help me.

Blackageofcomics
on 1/22/24 12:22 pm

At the forefront of global style evolution, British fashion designers https://artschool-london.com/ redefine creativity and elegance. From London's streets to prestigious runways, these visionaries leave an indelible mark. Celebrate the artistry, innovation, and influence of iconic designers shaping the world of fashion.

Most Active
Recent Topics