This time next week I'll be on the other side!

tammym
on 1/9/12 2:05 am - Portland, OR
Revision on 01/16/12
 My surgery is next Monday! I am so nervous!  I wasn't able to get much info from OWLS about what to do on Surgery day.  

I've stopped taking advil.  Can I still drink coffee.  I know I have to fast for three days prior, and no meds the day of, but I don't know what time to go to the hospital, where to go when I get there, what to take with me, etc.  

Can I take my husband with me?  Will he be able to stay with me?  Can I take my Ipod?  Owls said someone will call me the day before to answer my questions, but they've never called back when they promised to before, and the day before my surgery is a Sunday so I'm really not expecting them to call.  

I've been so stressed out that my fasting glusose has skyrocketed, even though my A1C is not too bad at 7.6.  

Please, if you have an advice, let me know!!!
Linda_S
on 1/9/12 11:42 am - Eugene, OR
Wow!  Congratulations.  I had my surgery at OHSU, so I'm not sure of the answer to your questions.  I did take my iPod with me.  I loaded it with relaxation sounds - ocean waves, lightning storms, canoe paddling, etc.  It did help me sleep at night.  Most hospital rooms have a guest chair/recliner -- some nurses will kick your family out, some will not.  You might just call the hospital and ask what their policy is.  My best advice is, don't take much with you.  Maybe a chapstick and a pair of slippers.  They'll give you all sorts of toiletries, gown, robe, etc., and you most likely won't be wearing underwear for most of your stay, so just don't take it with you.  If you have a favorite pillow, you might want to have your husband bring it.  You can sleep on it at the hospital, and then you can use it to cushion between your stomach and your seatbelt on the way home.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

OneFinger
on 1/15/12 2:14 am
Best of luck on your surgery. I know this road has been filled with a lot of bumps along the way. So glad you're finally getting this done.

I didn't have my surgery in Oregon so I can't answer your specific hospital questions. But, I know most hospitals prefer to have a relative there. The docs usually come out after surgery while you're still in recovery and give them an update.

At my hospital they wanted me up and walking the halls as soon as possible. I was very glad to have family there to assist and got up and moving.

The suggestion of chapstick is great and I'd definately take your ipod. I'd also recommend that you wear loose fitting clothing that is easy to get into. Specifically a button-up shirt and NOT something you have to pull over your head. I'd also suggest that it be old clothing. I had one of my drains start leaking and there was some blood that got on my shirt.

I'd also recommend that you get some Gas-X strips. They were very helpful for me to get rid of the gas pains.

Best of luck and keep us posted on your success.

High Weight = 310     Surgery Weight = 300   Dr's Goal = 200   My Goal = 190    
Most Active
Recent Topics