Recent Posts

Linda_S
on 6/25/22 6:06 pm - Eugene, OR
Topic: Where is everyone?

I had my RNY Gastric Bypass in 2007, when this page of OH was very busy. There was a group of us from all over the (mostly western) side of the state who would get together monthly. I miss you all. I initially lost 85 pounds of my 100 pounds overweight. I gained back 15, then 20, and have been at this same weight ever since. I did end up with severe hypoglycemia, but if I watched what I ate (I do), it wasn't much of a problem. Earlier this year however, I started to have trouble swallowing. It's not terrible, but I do have to be careful. I had an upper endoscopy and found I have low motility (which means my esophagus doesn't contract properly to help move food along, and I have a hiatal hernia. I figured this wasn't too bad, I could still deal with that, but the report also said I had acid reflux. I thought that was crazy, as I had no symptoms. Well, a few months later and I am plagued with the most horrible heartburn. I've started using Prilosec and have a bottle of tums when that doesn't seem to do the entire job. Does anyone else 15 years after surgery have this problem? I've read that surgery may be necessary, but I've been hoping there is something else I can do. I've changed to a whole food plant based diet (vegan with no oil, salt or sugar), and I try to eat small amounts at a time, although I admit I can eat much more now than I could directly after surgery.

Other than that, how are you all doing? Anybody up for a reunion? It would be really nice to see you all again.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

Linda_S
on 7/27/17 6:56 pm - Eugene, OR
Topic: RE: OHSU

I realize I'm way-late in responding (I don't check in much anymore). Given that the process can often take a long, long time, I'm hoping I can be of help. I had my surgery (RNY) at OHSU. I had Dr. O'Rourke, who is no longer there. I ended up with the very rare side effect of nasidioblastosis (severe hypoglycemia), which is a major bummer, but then again, I just celebrated my 10 year anniversary, and I'm 70 lbs lighter than my original weight. I was 100 lbs overweight, lost 85, and have gained a little back. My weight has been stable for the last 8.5 years. So, all in all, I'm considered a success. They have a great program at OHSU. If he's still there, Dr. Deveney is great. He was going to revise me to a gastric sleeve, but my insurance won't pay for it. I would have helped me eat a bit more normally. I'm doing fine, even living without being able to eat starch or sugar. Good luck!

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

Kathy S.
on 6/13/17 7:46 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with
tammym
on 5/25/17 10:53 pm - Portland, OR
Revision on 01/16/12
Topic: RE: Just starting my Journey

Personally, I believe the RNY is way better. I had VBG (basically the same as the sleeve these days,) which failed, and had to wait years for a revision. I lost not only those years, but also additional years off the end of my life. By the time I had my RNY, too much damage was done. My diabetes will never go away. The nerve damage cannot be reversed. My sight cannot be completely restored. I wont get the feeling back in my hands or feet. There is more, but it doesn't matter now.

Mewildman
on 5/23/17 6:51 am
RNY on 06/06/17

Well, I have not had my surgery yet, but it is scheduled for June 6th. I have lost about 25lbs thus far and my blood sugar levels are pretty good. After that initial meeting with the NP, no one ever tried to persuade me into having the VSG over RNY. I remained undecided until i met with my surgeon a few weeks ago. We talked, I asked a number of questions which she answered as frankly as she could. We agreed that RNY would be the best choice for me to have the best chance for my diabetes to be halted. She did not say the VSG wouldn't give me positive results, she said in my particular instance, I would likely do well with that, but she said the evidence for RNY is better.

tammym
on 5/22/17 8:24 pm - Portland, OR
Revision on 01/16/12

I hope it's not too late, but please please PLEASE do not let a nurse push you into a choice that is easier for THEM, instead of one that is best for YOU. I did that once. It was a disaster and it took me over ten years to get a revision to the correct surgery. I ended up going to OWLS instead of OHSU, because the surgeon there is more experienced with revisions, but both are great clinics. Sadly, my diabetes did not get better, but worse. So expect to lose weight but remember that your health is still in your hands. Surgery is a tool, not a cure.

Wildflowers4mom
on 12/15/16 11:20 am
Topic: RE: fill docs portland

Hi Tina my name is Nina I just moved away from Ashland a year ago but I'm coming back for the spring! I hope you still read this forum. I'd love to know someone with the same experiences with the Lap-Band

I'm curious to know who your doctor is that you go to church with it would be great to know of a good church in the area. I am looking to get a nun fill I'd love to tell you about my experience and connect!

waor97038
on 10/29/16 9:36 am
Topic: OHSU

I'm looking into having bypass surgery at OHSU and I'm looking for others that have had surgery with there. What were the pros/cons and who was your surgeon?

Mewildman
on 10/9/16 11:55 pm
RNY on 06/06/17
Topic: Just starting my Journey

I am just in the beginning phases of this process with just completing the first meetings with a NP, a nutritionist, and Physical Therapist at OHSU in Portland, Oregon. My recorded weight at that time was 292 and I was told I have to lose 5% or 14 lbs. before I can have my surgery. Although losing weight is going to be great, the main reason I am pursuing a surgical option is because of the effects of Bariatric Surgery on Type 2 diabetes and the very high chance that I can get off of all medications. My Doctor was the one who brought to my attention research studies showing that Bariatric Surgery, especially Gastric Bypass, as having a drastic effect on Type 2 diabetes. I went into this process thinking Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass was the way to go, but after meeting with the Nurse Practitioner, I felt as if she was pushing the Gastric Sleeve option, most notably because it has far fewer potential complications. I am now very much confused as to which course of surgery I should pursue. Anyone have any suggestions as to where to look to help me make up my mind?

Most Active
Recent Topics