Having an issue here...

lauraanne715
on 6/16/08 4:18 am - Pottstown, PA
Hey Everyone-- I just need to vent about how absolutely gross I now find the protein drinks and powders...ugh!!!  I can not do it I just can not do it....I am not able to get my protein in and it sucks... Could I use that Special K protein water stuff instead?  Help!!! I even tried to mizx it in my pudding and it was sooooooo gross....Ugh.  I am doing ok with my 64 oz water..I have to add flavor though...but I manage to get that in but the protein is a killer for me.   Thanks for llistening!!! Much luv!!!

Laura
"Two roads diverged in a wood..and I took the one less travelled by and that has made all the difference." -Robert Frost
Over 176+ lbs lost since surgery!! :-)
See my profile for my OH Blog!!

Pam Hart
on 6/16/08 4:24 am - Easton, PA
Melinda, I have not looked up the info on the special k water.  If it is within sugar and fat guidelines, I don't see why not. Try unjury chicken broth - it's yummy. You are about 3 weeks out, right?  You will be on pureed in no time which helps get protein in. Also - instead of protein powder - you can use 1 cup skim plus milk + 1 packet no sugar added Carnation Instant Breakfast - that is 16gm right there (11 from the skim plus milk and 5 from CIB)  You can add PB or something like that to bump it up if needed. Also - I don't know if you have tried the greek yogurt - sweeten with splenda and sf jam or sf jello crystals or sf davinci syrup.  They are about 13-15gm/6 ounces.  if you do three of those a day - you are getting in a minimum of 45gm protein.  Add it two shakes w/ milk & CIB and you have 77gm with only 5 meals. Also - and probably most importantly - remember - it's ok not to hit protein goals this early out.  It's really really REALLY hard to.  Just make a conscious effort every day. Profect or New Whey bullets are "easy" to get down meaning although I find the taste absolutely disgusting - they are 2.9 ounces - so it's 3 gulps.  I used them when I had to and viewed it as taking medicine that was necessary for me. Hang in there - you'll get through this. Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
lauraanne715
on 6/16/08 4:33 am - Pottstown, PA
Pam-- Thanks..I shoud be going to the store in the a.m so I am going to switch to the Carnation Instant Breakfast.   I am on a countdown till the weekend and pureed foods!!!!  Yay!!   Good idea on the greek yogurt but I haven't been able to find them yet...so I'll keep looking! I'll look at the bullets too that might be better...quick and easy...   Thank you for all the great ideas!!! Much luv!!!! Laura

Laura
"Two roads diverged in a wood..and I took the one less travelled by and that has made all the difference." -Robert Frost

Pam Hart
on 6/16/08 4:43 am - Easton, PA
Are you planning on coming to the Barix post op meeting on Wednesday? If so - I can bring you some yogurt - I'll pack it up in a cooler for you with ice packs and what not - I'll bring you only one or two in case you don't like it. I can also pack up little containers of the sf syrup I use (I have peach, raspberry, chocolate, vanilla, coconut, and irish cream) to add to it if you would like. Just let me know. Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
lauraanne715
on 6/16/08 4:48 am - Pottstown, PA
Aww Pam you are too sweet! You don't have to do all that for me!  But thank you! I should be at the meeting barring any unexpected over time for hubby!  So say a prayer!   Much luv! Laura

Laura

Shannon O.
on 6/16/08 4:59 am - Reading, PA
warning... the special k protein water is NASTY... I bought a box and it was so gross... and so far I can't find anyone that likes it at all...

There is South Beach Living flavor packs that you can add to water... 5g of fiber and 3g of protein to either 16 or 20 oz of water...

But what brand of protein powder are you using... I couldn't stand the nectar stuff from barix... it made me puke! I have used the any whey and a line from GNC that works out great...

But, also look for protein drinks premade like EAS and Adkins... both are sugar free and 17 to 25g of protein (depending on the flavor it seems to change)... you can find them both at BJs in big boxes...

But also when you make the protein drinks how do you do it? I either use my magic bullet or my blender and always add half a banana and ice to it... I even do that to the EAS and Adkins ones to make them a little bit more filling...

Good Luck

(deactivated member)
on 6/16/08 5:09 am - Eastern, PA
You're still early out. It's important to find a protein supplement that you can TOLERATE to help you hit your very important protein levels. Notice I said tolerate and not "enjoy." Protein is not a snack. It's not a yummy treat. It's mandatory. You don't have to like it. But you do have to get it in, one way or another. It's not a negotiable. It's not a maybe. You'll be exhausted and run down all of the time if you don't get it in. Your body will suffer. Compared to drinking something that's a little nasty, I'd say the alternative is much worse. That said, there are TONS of options out there. You'll find all kinds of posts about protein on the main board and the nutrition board. Have you ever tried AnyWhey? It's damn near tasteless and can be mixed with almost any liquid. I used it exclusively for over a year. It's versatile and fantastic.
kimmiep621
on 6/16/08 5:35 am, edited 6/16/08 5:35 am
protien was hard getting it in,  i absoultly can't stand the powder shakes,  right now i can't live without the new-whey protein shots.  they are 42gr of protein so i only drink 1/2 at time then it lasts longer.   the taste is really funky and you kinda just have to swallow it and try not to taste it.  but i found out that if i add the grape to my grape SF kool-aid you can't tell at all.   and i also use the orange one w/orange crystal lite and sometimes i add it to smoothie w/orange crystal lite.   personally i can't drink the fruit punch one, that one makes me soo sick,  plus i hated fruit punches before hand too. good luck, and purree will be here before u know it, but still always keep those shots with you just incase

327/307/192 (-135 lbs)
consult/day of surgery/current 

jdruski
on 6/16/08 9:16 am - Philadelphia, PA

Hi, Sorry that the protein is not working for you, but it is a must.  Try the s.f divinci's syrups.  Try mixing the powder in the blender with ice and some flavorings.  I had RNY in June 06 and my first few weeks it was extremely hot, I had Crystal Light Pink Lemonade mixed with Unjury Strawberry.  I really couldn't taste the protein.  There is also Isopure.  They are fruity and are like drinking juice. If you take all the suggestions, you will probably get in the amount you need.  It will only be a short time before you will be able to get most of your protein from food, but please get in what you need now.  It is so important in the sucess of your journey. Jeanne

New_Beginnings_36
on 6/16/08 11:07 pm - PA
Hi Laura :) Pureed stage is almost here, yeah!! I am tired of drinking 4 protein drinks a day!! If you are coming to the meeting tomorrow, I can bring you in a few scoops of what I have been drinking. It really isn't bad, especially the chocolate. And I don't even have to doctor the protein up, just add water and shake. They taste pretty good. Call me if you need a ride or anything, we can go together :)......Stefanie 

<3 Stefanie    

way-of-life.gif image by SissyLalaSamantha
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1771 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1866 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2549 views