I Got Kicked Out of Planet Fitness Today!!

KimZ
on 12/22/08 12:14 pm - PA
As a few of you know - I am a little obsessive with my exercise and never miss a day.  I actually belong to 2 gyms - a local big gym with a pool and lots of classes and Planet Fitness.  As a Black Card member of PF, I can go into any PF club around the country and it is convenient with how much I travel.

The trainer at the PF club in Duluth, GA in October told me that I should start to wear Ankle Weights when I am stretching and doing some of the abdominal exercises.  I have and it has given me some great results.

I am working from home this week and next - so my working out is being done at my home PF gym in Warminster.  Today was no exeption.  I went over - got half way through my work out and sat on the slant bench to strap on the ankle weights.  I had noticed a guy from corporate in and he was talking with the manager.  As I began my ab exercises, the manager approached me and told me that I would need to remove the ankle weights or leave the club.

I finished the set and he repeated himself.  When I inquired further, he told me that they do not allow 'outside' equipment in the gym.  I reminded him of how much I am in there and he acknowledged it, but told me one more time that I would need to either remove them or leave.

Very angrily, I stood up and told him what he could do with his gym membership and went to the locker room to get my things.  The female manager - who has been so awesome followed me into the locker room and asked why I was so angry.  I explained that I wear these at every work out and that they are no different than a weight belt worn by most of the men or a knee or weighted ankle brace.  I also reminded her that it was a PF trainer *****commended that I get the ankle weights.

She said it was the policy as they didnt want me to get hurt.  I got in my car, drove to the other gym - finished the work out and went home.  Once home I typed up my membership cancellation letter and drove it back to PF.   Once there - the manager - with the smuggest of looks on his face asked me how I would like to pay for the $158 early termination fee on my contract.  I had no words to respond to him.

Has anyone else had any trouble like this at any of the Planet Fitness locations?

Kim Z

bobw215
on 12/22/08 1:01 pm - levittown, PA
I have heard stories  about the one in Langhorne.Planet Fitness saids that they do not judge.The way they run their businesses it seeems like they do.I too belong to two gyms and find that I get alot more done at the other gym.
bob
R K.
on 12/22/08 7:35 pm
I would be banging out a bunch of emails to corporate. Since this is either a franchise or company owned they always respond to corporate complaints. So what, no weight belts, outside protein bars or drinks. What next gym authorized workout wear only. If I liked the gym I`d wear the weights and pull my sweats over them.

In your emails be sure to praise the nice employees before you dump the bomb on that arrogant ignorant manager. He doesn`t have the customer service skills to work at McDonalds. Is he between 25 and 35 years old?
"If I only had three words of advice, they would be, Tell the Truth. If got three more words, I'd add, all the time."
Randy Pausch
Ready4 AChange
on 12/22/08 9:22 pm - Upper Chichester, PA
Is this person there all day ? I would try to find out when he isn't there and go then. (maybe hide the weights under your sweats  ) I would just go to make him PO`D not let him know he got under your skin . And definately email, write, call and complain about him. If you can find some "friends" to help you out with the writing campaign all the better. Don't let som A%% get to you. If you do decide to terminate then wish him luck in getting it. If they put it on your charge then dispute the charge that may last a while.
Good Luck,
Sandy

Sandy  

ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange Remember.......  Click to Give .....Hunger, Breast Cancer, literacy, rain f                                                                                         orest, animal rescue and CHILD HEALTH

(deactivated member)
on 12/22/08 9:35 pm
I would buy 5 truck loads of ankle weights and have them dumped outside their front doors in just before the morning rush so no one can get into the club ...and I would hang up a sign that says "how do you like my ankle weights now jackass??"    I would also pay the $158 in pennies...pasted to the ankle weights with super glue.

And his reason is bull****I know people that use other PF's that bring in outside equipment.  If it is policy, then they need to make sure that it is followed across the board, not just where they feel like it. 

HG
Donna_in_PA
on 12/22/08 11:30 pm - Lansdale, PA
I joined "Snap Fitness" in Hatfield, PA.  It's open 24/7 (you need a key card to get in) and you can bring elephants with hip waders into the center with you to exercise with, if you so desire.  It's very inexpensive (for my fiance' and me, it's $52/month total)  never crowded, no contracts and the nicest people in the world.  It's the first gym I've ever joined where I don't feel self-conscious.  I have always hated exercising, but once I get there (which is like 3-4 times a week), I'm always glad I went. 

Donna

JillZ
on 12/23/08 10:09 am - Warrington, PA
That is absolutely ridiculous!  I go to the Warminster PF and now I want to go out and buy some ankle weights!!  Your right it's no different than wearing all the other stuff that the guys wear.  Which guy is the manager?  They all look so young at the desk, good luck getting that $158. if it was me, the e-mails should work, word of mouth is eveything!  Why does life need to be so aggravating though!

KimZ
on 12/23/08 11:11 am - PA
Thanks for the great suggestions.  Its really a ridiculous situation.  Every employee there is probably between 25 - 28 with the exception of one lady and a trainer.  The manager is Pat - tallish blond male.  If you go alot - you will surely recognize him - he is the one that is consistantly running outside with his cell phone taking personal calls.

They never ever pay any attention to what the members are doing.  This was clearly done for the benefit of the corporate guy.  I started writing corporate emails today and will continue to write daily until I get some kind of response.  I will not go back into the club - it just really upset me the way they treated a regular member.

Thanks for the tip on the gym in Hatboro.  I will check it out tomorrow - definately!

This has not deterred my exercise routine.  I have continued working out at B & R and hung a heavy bag in my garage today as well as bought a few more free weights for the house.  I basically have all I need at home, free weights - eliptical - ab lounger - etc.   I just like going out of the house sometimes to work out.

Kim Z

Melanie B.
on 12/24/08 5:35 am - Doylestown, PA
I have a PF black Card too and my home gym is Trevose but I have been to the Warminter one as well. I've never had a problem, but I'd be pissed too. And I know the Pat guy you speak of, I've seen him there.

I say for $19 p/month it's hard to beat that deal.

ohioscott
on 2/2/14 7:47 am

Well it seems that there is variation to the interpretation of their corporate policy. I beleive this pissue has been resolved since 2008. Regarding the early termination fee: I'd tell them I'd bring it in tomorrow. Then I'd walk in with 15,800 pennies, loose, in a wheel barrow, pour them on the floor, and ask them to mail you the receipt.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1768 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1864 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2546 views