Responsibilites and advice

Lisa H.
on 5/20/11 5:40 am, edited 5/22/11 9:16 pm - Whitehall, PA
So, I've been working on identifying things that need to be done around the house and avoiding conflict as much as possible between Siehara and me.    This is what I came up with.  please tell me if you think it's too much.  I have it so certain things like dusting, kitchen, bathroom gets done twice a week--once by me and once by Siehara (is that necessary?)  or should I just do alternate weeks for those things.  The first section is a contract.  The rest is itemized list of what should be done and when.  

ADJUSTED THE CONTRACT A BIT TO INCLUDE POSITIVE CONSEQUENCES

I know when you belong to a family there are tasks and chores that need to be done around the house. I respect that our family wants our home to be clean and useful. My mom respects that I am becoming a young adult and would like time to myself - not always doing chores. With that in mind, we agree:

1. To keep our own areas picked up and not overly cluttered. This includes no dirty laundry on the bedroom floors, things piled up on shelves and personal items such as shoes, bags, etc., will not clutter up common areas (i.e. Living room, dining room)
  2. I will keep my mother in the loop when a chore has become too complicated for me, for instance if I do not know how to do something. I will never leave a chore undone without talking to my mother.
  3. I will take pride in my work, so that the tasks or chores I have to do will be done to the best of my ability.
  4. I understand that chores are never really fun for anyone, but they are necessary tasks that need to be done in order to live. Therefore, I will not give my mother a bad attitude about getting them done.
    • My responsibilities come first and my chores are my responsibility.  I will not procrastinate and put off my chores until the last minute.

A.     When daily chores ARE done to mom’s satisfaction, computer time will be earned   (1 hour on weekdays, up to 3 hours on weekends)

B.     After successful completion of chores for the week, allowance of $5 will be given.

C.     TV/social time will not be allowed until chores are complete.

D.     Computer, TV, and phone privileges will be taken away if chores are not completed timely and without attitude.

E.      If the chore is not completed to mom’s satisfaction, she will explain what needs to be done to get it right.  If it is not done to her satisfaction, it needs to be corrected until it does.

Signed:

Siehara                                                                         MOM

DAILY RESPONSIBILITIES:

Morning:

Wake up with alarm

Take medicine

Make bed-so that sheets and covers are pulled up fully over bed and pillows are at the head

Feed cat

Make lunch for school

Shower, properly hang towel to dry

Proper hygiene (deodorant, brush teeth, style hair)

Afternoon/evening:

Take medicine

Feed cat

Ensure shoes and coats are stored properly-shoes in bedroom; coats hung in closet

General daily-as needed

Sweep kitchen

Ensure dirty clothes are in basket

Empty garbage/recycling – take to dumpsters

Homework

SHARED RESPONSIBILITIES AS NEEDED:

Load and empty dishwasher as needed

Water plants-inside and out

Groom Skecher (mom will do nails)

Wipe down inside of microwave as messes are made

SIEHARA WEEKLY RESPONSIBILITIES

MONDAY: clean kitchen counters, stove; sweep and mop floors, top of microwave, outside of fridge

TUESDAY: vacuum living room, dining room; including picking up items off floor and under tables

WEDNESDAY: laundry

THURSDAY: finish laundry if necessary; clean bathroom-wipe down toilet, sink, tub; mop floor

FRIDAY: dust living room and dining room, including all table tops, shelves, and tv screens; windex glass table

SATURDAY:

SUNDAY: clean room including closet; make sure everything is in its place; dust and vacuum

MOM WEEKLY RESPONSIBILITIES:

MONDAY: clean bathroom-wipe down toilet, sink, tub; mop floor; change litter boxes

TUESDAY: dust living room and dining room, including all table tops, shelves, and tv screens; windex glass table

WEDNESDAY: clean room including closet; making sure everything in its place; dust and vacuum

THURSDAY: clean kitchen counters, stove; sweep and mop floors, top of microwave, outside of fridge

FRIDAY: vacuum living room, dining room; including picking up items off floor and under tables

SATURDAY: laundry

SUNDAY: finish laundry if needed

My tracker

hers 

bvohl
on 5/20/11 11:34 am
Lisa,

Sounds like a well thought out plan! I like the fact that you are doing the same chores as Siehara so she knows that you wouldn't give her something to do that you wouldn't do yourself. It is important for her to learn responsibility so she can be a more independent, self-sufficient adult!

Good job MOM!!! Now, how do you think this plan would work with Dee??? LOL

Love ya!!

Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

Lisa H.
on 5/20/11 12:56 pm - Whitehall, PA
It could absolutely work.. just to her level.  I WISH I had started this earlier with Siehara so it would just be common place now.. 

Better late than never, right?

My tracker

hers 

bvohl
on 5/20/11 10:05 pm
ABSOLUTELY!!!!
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

gmom62
on 5/20/11 10:27 pm - Clifton Heights, PA
I TOTALLY agree with Beth.  Good plan.

My parents were divorced when I was very young.  When I lived with my mother, being the oldest of 5 kids I had a lot of babysitting to do.  When I went to live with my dad as an early teenager, my stepmother gave me chores that I HAD to do every Saturday before I did anything else.  That included watching TV and going out with friends.  Every day I had to make my own bed, make my own lunch.  Basically did everything your asking Siehara to do.  So your only showing her what a responsible person should do.  Out of respect for you I would hope she would want to help you.

Your a great mom, Lisa.  Good luck with this contract.  Hope it works out for both of you.

Love ya,
Cyd

R K.
on 5/21/11 5:54 am
Perfect. expectations are clear and well defined and consequences are spelled out. The key is to stick to it despite pleading and crying and attempting to make you feel bad.
"If I only had three words of advice, they would be, Tell the Truth. If got three more words, I'd add, all the time."
Randy Pausch
SPANKAROO
on 5/21/11 12:38 pm
 i see all the  chores  and they seem fair  now what is the allowance like  is she being well paid  for  these hjobs  just curious  i  may need to  do them for extra spending money  hehe
Lisa H.
on 5/21/11 1:53 pm - Whitehall, PA
 right now, it's just about her learning responsibility.  I can't afford to pay her anything.. 

If you want to come and take her place after she goes to camp, you're more than welcome!

My tracker

hers 

Liz R.
on 5/21/11 10:09 pm - Easton, PA
Looks good to me! I would suggest some kind of "incentive" though if she does really well- her favorite dinner, painting your nails together, an ice pop when the ice cream man comes - whatever. Not everytime but maybe if she does really well for 2 weeks etc.

Good luck!
Sara E.
on 5/22/11 12:08 pm - Pennsylvania Furnace, PA
Lisa,
This sounds great.  We have no written plan, but Caleb is expected to do certain chores and he knows it.  And I like the "without attitude" clause.  Any attitude has a lose of privlidges in my house.  let us knwo how it works for the two of you.
Sara

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1771 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1866 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2549 views