Blue Agave Question

lauraanne715
on 7/7/11 5:18 pm - Pottstown, PA
Hey everyone--
I just wanted to ask if anyone has used the Blue Agave as a sweetner or cooked/baked with it? The Hubby wants to try it in some recipes but not sure if I can actually tolerate it? It is touted as being a great alternative for diabetic patients and I have been able to tolerate some diabetic products inthe past...anyone have any insight??? Here is some info I found online:

Blue Agave Nectar is a natural sweetener used in foods and beverages. It has a low glycemic index, which makes it ideal for diabetics, hypoglycemics or those who cannot handle sucrose or artificial sweeteners. Apart from raising the thrill of tequila, Blue Agave Nectar is often used in fruit juices like pomegranate or other flavors like coffee. This organic nectar is extracted from the fleshy stems and roots of Agave Tequilana, a type of agave plant grown all over Mexico and parts of South America. Actually the volcanic and semi-arid soils of these regions play a perfect host to the agave plants. To produce organic Blue Agave Nectar, farmers first gather the sap or juice in the fruit-like core or ‘pina’ of the blue agave plant by slicing off the top just before budding of the flower. And then extract in a typical process.

The juice is then selected to become dark agave syrup or is filtered to create light agave syrup. The unfiltered dark liquid contains many minerals and retains a natural and unique flavor, with a slight hint of a vanilla-like aroma. The light organic Blue Agave Nectar has the natural solids removed through a fine filtration process, creating a liquid that can be used in recipes that require a more neutral base and can be colored. Moreover, organic Blue Agave Nectar doesn’t have any strong aroma so it never overpowers the flavor of the particular it has been mixed to.

A pure dose of organic Blue Agave Nectar does not contain any unnatural and foreign sugars like Maltose, Sucrose, Mannitol and others that can be determined by chemical breakdown. It is high in fructose (more than 87%), low in glucose (around 13.10%) and does not contain any other sugars.

What do ya'll think?
Thanks!!!
Much luv!!
Laura

Laura
"Two roads diverged in a wood..and I took the one less travelled by and that has made all the difference." -Robert Frost
Over 176+ lbs lost since surgery!! :-)
See my profile for my OH Blog!!

(deactivated member)
on 7/7/11 7:08 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
I've used the agave syrup in various recipes, hot tea, etc.; I found it very palatable. It is a great alternative for those who are vegans as it provides much the same flavor and viscosity as honey, but is totally vegetable-based.

I also like truvia and Stevia as sweetners; I'm not a fan of the artificial sweetners because we don't know what these chemically manufactured substances will do to our bodies.
I do know that they affect our digestive systems by producing "gastric distress" which is code for lots of
gas!!

give it a try--it can't hurt!
lauraanne715
on 7/8/11 10:07 pm - Pottstown, PA
Thank you for the info! I have tried Stevia and Splenda--I am not a fan of Truvia though, it leaves a weird after taste for me...but I think I am going to double check with my NUT just to be sure about the agave!!

Thank you again!!!

Laura

Laura
"Two roads diverged in a wood..and I took the one less travelled by and that has made all the difference." -Robert Frost

Jayne
on 7/7/11 10:07 pm - Swiftwater, PA
I posted about AGAVE syrup some time ago and many folks were quite vocal that I should check with my nut......(their nut did not recommend it).... anyway, my nut suggested I avoid it.....too much like corn syrup.    I've been using stevia and truvia.

It is natural and much better than any artifical sweetners... but has been known to cause dumping in some folks...

Hugs,

Jayne
lauraanne715
on 7/8/11 10:02 pm - Pottstown, PA
Jayne--

Thanks for the info--I am not a fan of Truvia..it gives me a bad aftertaste but have used Stevia in the past.  I am terrified of dumping...I get very woozy when things that are NSA have too high of a sugar alcohol content so I am going to check with my NUT and be cautious. Thanks for the info!! Much appreciated!!!

Much luv!
Laura

Laura

lynnc99
on 7/7/11 10:34 pm
I have asked my husband about this (he does a lot of product development and quality work for a wholesale bakery, and is the 3rd generation in his family in the baking industry).

He says agave could be compared to sugar cane - the agave syrup would be similar to evaporated cane juice (which is cane sugar). He also compared the agave syrup to maple syrup. Both can be organic, both are plant based sugars, etc.

The difference would be the fructose vs. glucose ratio - but I haven't dared to try it. I use Truvia or Splenda.
lauraanne715
on 7/8/11 10:00 pm - Pottstown, PA
Lynn--
I am such a nervous nellie when it comes to this stuff so I always need to double and triple check first...Thanks for the info!!! I am going to check with my NUT too.

Thanks again!!

Laura

Laura

lynnc99
on 7/8/11 10:14 pm
BTW, Truvia is simply a brand name for stevia (like Splenda/sucralose). It has only very recently been approved for commercial use - such as in no sugar added products we would buy at the store.

I am with you on sugar alcohols. I have to be VERY careful and unfortunately have learned the hard way....more than once!
Laureen S.
on 7/8/11 12:36 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Laura,

You might try calling Barix and asking for one of the nutritionist's advice on this. . .  you had your surgery there and are entitled to get information if you need it ;)

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

lauraanne715
on 7/8/11 9:58 pm - Pottstown, PA
Laureen--
I think I am going to check with my NUT...I don't have the best tolerance for NSA items when the sugar alcohols are too high so anything like this makes me nervous...will be calling Barix next week for sure. Thank you!!!!

Laura

Laura

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1762 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1858 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2538 views