dexa scann

enasangels
on 7/28/11 7:19 pm - PA
Just want to encourage anyone who has not had one to get one for a base line.  If you have had one, and it has been awhile, get a new one.  My head is still spinning from the results from mine.  I am really having a hard time wrapping my head around this, it is causing me lots of worry, and is really depressing me.  If you think that blood tests are enough you are kidding yourself.  I thought mine were good, a little low on D2, but was given a script for a supplement.  I would have never known how bad it is if I had not requested an updated test from my PCP.  I have spent a lot of time at the library in the past week reading up on info. on my results, and getting info. on what I need to do to make it better.  The worst is the underlying feeling that it won't get better, but I know I need to try.  So I am having to look at the way I have been eating and drinking and revamping it to get the most out of it I can to try and make it better for this situation.  Granted I am postmenopausal, and with the surgery my loss has been increased.  Hopefully with the changes I am making it will improve the situation.   I certainly know a lot more now than I ever wanted to know about bone mass loss.  Had I only know that some of the meds I was taking affected the situation in a round about way, I would more than likely have made a decision not to take those meds.  I am trying very hard to keep myself focused so I can make the very best decisions in the future to improve the situation if that's possible.
Thanks for letting me ramble, and please take care of your health.
Hugs, Ena

"Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."

Nicole0216
on 7/28/11 7:48 pm - Lancaster, PA
Ena I am glad you are getting answers and taking care of yourself. What is a dexa scan?
enasangels
on 7/28/11 8:07 pm - PA
Nicole,
Dexa scann measures bone mass index.  Women's bone mass is at it's greatest when they are in their 30's.  Imagine my surprise when I was asked as I was lying on the table if I had lost a large amount of weight.  (kind of a wow moment I guess, as they could see the difference from my last one.)  Someone was smart enough to have one done before I had surgery.  (at the moment, I don't remember if it was me or PCP, but may have been me as I remember having hip pain and she may have sent me to have it done as a precaution).  I think most insurances will pay to have it done every two years.  If you have not had one, check with your PCP, it is something we need to do to take care of ourselves.  We are our own best health advocate.

"Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1764 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1859 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2540 views