Speaking of the Bat Mitzvah

Lisa H.
on 11/2/11 1:57 am, edited 11/2/11 3:56 am - Whitehall, PA
Since not all of you were in attendance at Siehara's Bat Mitzvah, I thought I'd share my speech to her with you all.  It was a very emotional day, but it turned out beautifully and I'm glad some of you were willing and able to trek through the snow to share the day with us.   We were not able to invite everyone, so I hope those of you with whom we are close understand that it was just not possible to include everyone. 

Here it is.  If you don't want to read it, don't feel bad.  It's ok... 

Siehara, 

It seems like just yesterday that you were a baby. You are turning into such an amazing young lady. Over the years I have received many compliments from people regarding your caring nature, tenderness with young children, and maturity. You have never judged people based on the color of their skin,looks,disabilities,or preferences. You give people the benefit of the doubt and take the time to get to know them from the inside out. You have made some special friends because of this and your sensitivity is contagious.

I believe that you inherited this ability from your Zayde, alav hashalom. He could have a conversation with anyone who he happened to be standing near in a line or at an event.   There was never any judgment, only opportunity to meet someone new. He was always so personable and friendly and chances were pretty good that he would run into someone he knew if he traveled within 100 miles of home.

I hope you know that in spite of the arguments about homework, friends, cleaning your room, texting and other typical teen stuff, I love that you are an outgoing, intelligent, compassionate and opinionated person.   You have inherited many of these traits from your bubbe,alav hashalom. Bubbe was also very compassionate and outgoing, and those who knew her would have to agree that when she had an opinion about something, she made sure everyone knew about it and tried to get them to see things her way. You were always very special to her. You were her only grandchild and she would have done anything for you.

I truly believe that they are both here with us today as we celebrate you becoming a Bat Mitzvah. Today is the day you start your transition to become an active and responsible member of the Jewish community.

Eleanor Roosevelt said “You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, ‘I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along’. You must do the things you think you cannot do."

As you begin your growth to womanhood, know that you will always be my source of pride, no matter where you go or what you do. You must stand up tall and proud and within you feel no fear. All of your dreams and goals are attainable as long as you hold onto them and pursue them with all of your heart and determination.  

Together, we have been through many ups and downs, often more than the typical mother and daughter. We have survived them together and have both come out stronger because of these roadblocks.    There is a quote that I have seen many times and I try to live my life by these words and hope you will remember them and do the same. 

“When something bad happens you have three choices. You can either let it define you, let it destroy you, or you can let it strengthen you." I hope that you continue to gain strength from all of your challenges in life.  I love you and am so proud of you today and every day. 

My tracker

hers 

Lois G.
on 11/2/11 6:00 am - Ashland, PA
Thank  you for sharing, I am sorry with the weather, but we wouldn't have gotten back home up the mountain.....your love for your daughter shows all the time in all you do and will continue to do for her forever....thats what a mom is and you a a very good one........and strong......

IdaMae D.
on 11/2/11 6:12 am - Philadelphia, PA
Beauitul!!!!

IdaMae

musicaldonna
on 11/2/11 7:56 am - PA
Lisa,

What a beautiful speech.  I'm sure that Siehara appreciated it but something says to me that this is like a fine wine - it will get even better as time passes by.  I hope that she treasures this and reads it often.  It touched a warm place in my heart.  You work very hard at being a good parent and believe me, it shows.  Be proud of the great job you have done with your daughter and be proud of yourself  Take good care.

Donna
Decolady
on 11/2/11 10:40 pm - Bethlehem Twp., PA
Just beautiful, you must be so proud of her, and you should be so proud of yourself for being an amazing Mom.
Nicole0216
on 11/2/11 10:43 pm - Lancaster, PA

Lisa I hope that you know that Jason and I love you. I am more sorry than I can say that we missed this ceremony, we were just too afraid to risk it. I so wish I could have been there to see you give this speech. It is so beautiful. That was the thing about Mollys that impressed me so much. It is so special that the Jewish Faith give the opportunity for a child to be celebrated and outwardly loved by their family this way. It makes me so sad that other Faiths do not do this. Children often go through their lives not knowing how loved and valued they are. I wish I could have been there but I am so thankful that she heard this from you and that you love her so much. Thanks for always being a strong mom for her

Laureen S.
on 11/2/11 11:15 pm - Maple Shade, NJ

Lisa,

Mazel Tov to you and Siehara and what a wonderful speech, your expressions of pride, unconditional love and hopes for the woman she will one day be, as well as the the person she now is, was AWESOME!!!

Raising a teenage daughter is full of challenges, but I can say that once they have grown into the women they become, it is magical.

Kind regards and best wishes, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

dit657
on 11/3/11 9:23 am - Boothwyn, PA
Beautiful tribute to your daughter on that most special occasion. I'm sorry the weather didn't cooperate fully for your special day but it sounds beautiful regardless of the snowy weather.

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Arlene E.
on 11/3/11 11:21 am - Philadelphia, PA

Lisa

This is a beautiful tribute to your beautiful daughter.  Mazel Tov to you both.  

I hope Siehara knows how fortunate she is to have such a wonderful loving mother. 

Arlene 

enasangels
on 11/5/11 6:39 pm - PA
Lisa, how beautiful, brought tears to my eyes.  It is important to let our children know how proud of them we are and how much we love them, to do so publicly makes it all the more cherished.  Siehara will some day look back on all these things and realize how lucky she was to have such a great mom.
Ena

"Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1771 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1866 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2549 views