Help!!!! How can I fit exercise in without going to a gym?

steffihope
on 11/7/11 4:10 am - Philadelphia, PA
 Hi all - so for the past several weeks, I kept telling myself I am going to join the new LA Fitness that opened up within walking distance of my house.  So, each weekend, I look at my schedule to see what days that week I would be able to get there.  And each week, every day, there was another reason that I could not get there.  The kids have all kinds of things going on.  Larry works nights and I have said this before, I need to be there for the homework dance or things will not get done.  

So, having said that, I have not joined as expected.  However, I do know that I have on demand which has a wonderful exercise channel.  What would you all recommend?  And what time of day?  I have a hard time getting up in the morning to do it, although that would be the best time.  And the kids are all around in the afternoon and I have to do the afterschool stuff anyway.  Then Larry HAS to have dinner every night and then I have to make sure that the kitchen gets cleaned up because Larry has to get ready to leave for work....yadda yadda yadda......Any thoughts as to what I can do exercise wise and how I can fit it in to my crazy schedule?
jastypes
on 11/7/11 6:00 am - Croydon, PA
Not a clue, Steffi, but I'm anxiously awaiting to hear what others have to say.  I find it hard to get exercise in, especially in the winter months.  I've joined a million gyms in my lifetime.  I'm not doing that again, because it truly is a waste of money for me.  I do walk home from the train station on occasion, about a mile and a half.  I used to do it regularly, but I'm not a fan of the cold weather.  Again, looking forward to others' suggestions.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

IdaMae D.
on 11/7/11 6:19 am - Philadelphia, PA
I am right there with you.  We are within walking distance of NorthEast Raquet club in the Krewstown shopping center.  Keep saying that we are going to get a membership.  I had a membership to Curves and if I did not stop immediately on the way home from work, I did not stop at all.  If I went home I didn't go. 

I used to get home from work, change my clothes and get on the treadmill, I'm so exhausted now that I can't find the energy to do that and I love walking.  I will not wake up any earlier than I already do.  I'm up at 5-5:30am to get ready for work, I will not wake up at 4 am, that is just too insane for me even me being the morning person I am...

I'm looking forward to seeing responses as well.....

IdaMae

bvohl
on 11/7/11 7:21 am
Steffi,

My advice would be get a Wii! It is something fun and the kids could do it with you, so they would get exercise too! We have one and although I don't use it as much as I used to, I LOVE IT! Some of the games that I really like are the Wii Sports Tennis and Boxing, Wii Fit, any of the Just Dance games, and of course ZUMBA!!!!

Yes, I know it is another expense but take the money you were going to invest in a gym and get the system.If you go to Sams Club they usually have a good deal going on with a package deal with games and the Wii Fit board which you will need to do some of the games. If you can wait until Black Friday I am sure there will be some GREAT deals out there!

If all else fails, there is always walking around the neighborhood with the dog!!!

Hope this helps!

Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

Sara E.
on 11/7/11 12:19 pm - Pennsylvania Furnace, PA
I love my Jillian Michaels 30 day shred DVD and Biggest Loser last chance workout & powersculpt DVDs.  The 1st one is  3 different great 20 minute workouts.  I am sure you can carve out 20 minutes after all have gone to bed. 
Good luck!
Sara

Laureen S.
on 11/7/11 7:01 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Steffi,

I'm not sure what you did in the beginning of this journey as I have CRAFT disease (lol), but was your schedule any less hectic then?  I ask for the simple reason that you were probably putting yourself first more then and now with all the challenges of late, it sounds like you put yourself last again. 

Your children are not little babies and your husband and you have different schedules, but is it not possible to ask them for one hour a day off that you can use for Steffi time, to exercise and ultimately help you feel better about yourself.  Whether it is to do a Wii fit thing, an exercise channel routine or anything else, you need to enlist their help, after all they all love you and I think they would be more than happy to be a part of your successing, if you gave them the opportunity to pitch in somehow.

Hugs, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

enasangels
on 11/7/11 7:18 pm - PA
Steffi,
With a schedule like yours, doing something at home looks to be the best.  At least you could work it around what needs to be done at home.  I am also with Laureen on this one, there has to be something that your family can help you with that will give you the time you need, you give them so much I am sure if they think about it there is a way they could give back to you by freeing up some time for yourself.  Maybe they need to pitch in to help with the kitchen cleanup, and remember don't get frustrated if the job they pick to take off your hands is not done exactly like you would prefer, as they will give up.  Show them how you want it done, and let them try.  The Wii, or a DVD (maybe you could find one at the library and give it a try) or something on TV, take care of you first as Laureen said, if only for this one period of time to get the exercise in.  It may put you in a more upbeat mood.  Hope you find an answer that works for you, and you get the family support you need to help you get there.
Hugs, Ena

"Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."

dit657
on 11/7/11 9:15 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Why is it as women we always put others needs before ours? And the thing is if we're not healthy how can we take good care of others? When I was dealing with my mom's illness riding my exercise bike was 'my' time - it was a great stress reliever and I was up to 15 miles in about 45 minutes - great workout for me. Sadly when she passed away I lost all interest in it. Why? I wish I knew.

I've been struggling to get back into some type of routine myself - and as we all know the  less we do the harder it is to get motivated again, especially with winter coming on. But, this morning after I got ready for work I grabbed the dog and went for a walk - no, it wasn't a marathon, but honestly it felt good to get out and get my legs moving first thing - so baby steps, right?

I get up at O-DARK-THIRTY myself to get ready for work, and the thoughts of getting up earlier to exercise send chills up my spine, but my little walk was 15 minutes of exercise this morning and I managed to squeeze it in.

We all have life issues that tend to get in the way of exercise - for me lately it's been 1 1/2 to 2 hour commutes home due to construction and traffic - by the time I get home and make dinner, eat, clean it up, feed the dog, etc., the last thing I feel like doing is exercising - but in all honesty it's the first thing I should think about.

So my 'goal' is to walk the dog in the morning now - and at lunch before I eat get off my arse and out of the office and even if I just walk around the parking lot it's something.

Come on Steffi - we can all do this together - helps clear the head as well. So grab an iPod, a good pair of sneaks, and get out at least once a day for 10-15 minutes for a walk - start there - and we can work out way back into a good routine, and feel much better for it!!

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
swedeville1
on 11/8/11 12:00 pm - Mount Pleasant, PA
Well little girl, I hear tell there was this young man from the western side of the state that got some pretty decent results from P90x.  You might want to give that a shot.  Muaah.
Swede

HW=400  SW=383  CW=252  GW=240
Pounds to go=12!!!  Pounds Lost =148

Cheryl.P
on 11/9/11 9:53 am - Philadelphia, PA
if you have netflix they have some streaming exercise videos. and youtube.com has some  so that would mean no extra money and you could exercise anytime.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1773 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1869 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2552 views