Back to basics?

Georgianne Z.
on 1/8/12 9:56 pm - NC

Hi Everyone!

I think I need a little push from the folks on the trusted PA boards.  This April will be 5 years post op.  I cannot believe it.  Life has radically changed.  In fact, nothing is the same as it was prior to surgery.  Some of that is normal life events, and others are a direct result of surgery. 

I’ve left everything I’ve known for the unknown.  I’ve left the food way of life and gone somewhere else. Lol  Literally and figuratively.  Almost 7 months ago, I moved to NC so I really left old habits behind.  I know, I am no longer in PA but forgive me.  The PA board was my home and some of the older timers on the board might remember me. 

NC is a bit different.  And some of my old triggers are coming back – like fear and insecurity.  New place, new people, new job and new way of life in the south.  I’ve gained weight since I’ve been down here and it is terrifying me.  So, last week I started to go back to basics.  (It had nothing to do with a new years resolution!)  Get my protein and water in.  Measure my food.  And exercise!!  I am using My Daily Plate and exercising again.  I am so afraid of that scale moving up and up and up.

Life is great!  I cannot complain.  I have everything I’ve ever prayed for and I am grateful to God for it all.  I think I forgot that I cannot eat like everyone down here.  And with a smaller building at work, I get less exercise so I have to make a more conscience effort to move.  Ok, that isn’t all of it.  Honestly, that isn’t.  I’ve been grazing at home.  Too many emotions coming up and I’ve been relying on food instead of my trusted loving support that got me this far.  I did not realize how many times I went for the easy carb instead of doing what I know to work – journal, pray, walk, be with people!

For those of you new to the boards and surgery, it isn’t a quick one time fix of a lifelong problem.  It is a tool to help you on a lifelong journey to healthy and love life.  If you jump in and do it, you will be rewarded for your work.  I am proof that it does work.  I guess I am also proof that it can also be easy to be lazy with our food and where we put our emotions.

Thank you for being here and allowing me to be honest and safe.   For some reason, I had to post and come “home" for a few moments.
Georgianne

What you are, is God's gift to you.  What you make of yourself, is your gift to God.

jojomoe523
on 1/8/12 10:06 pm - PA
Welcome home! Thank you for being honest about what is going on with you. Knowing that you are slipping back into old habits is half the battle. I think you are doing the right thing by going back to basics. Good luck to you on your continued journey.

Joanne

Georgianne Z.
on 1/9/12 9:38 pm - NC
Thanks for your encouragement!
jastypes
on 1/8/12 10:20 pm - Croydon, PA
So glad you are here.  This is a great board for encouragement and support.  Coming back here (and to Barix support groups) was the best thing I did for myself in 2011.  Getting back on track can be tricky, with ups and downs, but it absolutely can be done.  I am living proof that re-gain after surgery can be re-lost again when we use the tools we have been given.  Keep posting and letting us in on your journey.  It helps you and it helps all of us.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Georgianne Z.
on 1/9/12 9:40 pm - NC
Thank you for your encouragement.  I remember your name from my first days post op! 

I think I am catching this before it gets too bad but I definately know I am not eating healthy.  I am going to be doing the 5 day pouch test thing.  If anything, it will remind me of my days right after surgery.  I forgot what protein powder tasted like! lol

Thanks again!
Kathleen W.
on 1/14/12 7:59 am - Lancaster, PA
I remember you and your kind words when I start my journey 33 months ago.  You'll always be a PA girl at heart.  Good Luck in continuing your journey.

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1761 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1857 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2538 views