Finally Friday roll call

Lisa H.
on 7/12/12 9:55 pm - Whitehall, PA
Howdy all... been super busy with work so I've been lurking but not posting much.

Working both jobs today.. debating on what, if anything I am going to do tonight.  Tomorrow morning I think I am going to head to synagogue.  I haven't been there in months.  I'm not sure how I feel about that.. on one hand I feel guilty that I haven't been going, but on the other hand I have noticed where only one person has really reached out to me to find out why I haven't been there and that bothers me.  It's like it doesn't even matter to anyone that I'm not there.  I'm torn and probably won't decide until the morning.  

I got a call from the camp advisor yesterday about Siehara.  She is concerned b/c Siehara is not participating in many activities and keeps saying she wants to come home.  I'm not really sure what's going on.  I can only guess that something happened with another camper and she doesn't want to deal with it.  My cousin, the nurse, told me that there were some new campers coming from Ethiopia for the second session and she's hoping that seeing more Jews of Color around camp will help.  

Visiting day is Sunday so I will talk to Siehara and we have a time set aside to talk to her advisor about how we can help her to enjoy the second session.  I made some SF choc. chip cookies that I will bring for her.  She likes them and it will be a nice treat.  I can only give her a couple, though, because they are not allowed to keep food in the bunks.  As of now, her brother is also coming with me!!  I texted him yesterday to see if he had written to her b /c she has not really gotten any letters from anyone but me and Neil and we started discussing visiting day.  He wants to come and I think that will be a nice surprise for her.  I am also going to bring her guitar up.  She meant to bring it at the beginning of summer so she could learn from some people up there, but forgot it.  I bought her a book that will teach her, so I hope that will lift her spirits.   

Other than that, not much going on here... just working a lot and trying to relax during the little bit of spare time I have.  Hope everyone enjoys the day... I'm not superstitious so I won't bring up Friday the 13th... oops.... just did... lol

My tracker

hers 

lynnc99
on 7/12/12 10:43 pm
 Hi everyone! 

I work 11-8 today at Apple, so have a few minutes this morning. Busy weekend ahead, working long hours until Monday, so I can fly up to PA and be with Mike for the rest of next week. I have a few "must do" things in PA as well - including getting my blood work up done. 

Also starting Monday, we are getting new tile flooring in the house down here so everything has to be stripped down for the installation guys. Such fun!

Lisa, not sure what is up with Siehara but it is great that she has done as well as she has for as long as she has, and that she has enjoyed camp for much of the session thus far. I wonder sometimes when kids don't "join in" if it's just ok to let them have a little solo time. I was terribly shy as a kid and joining in was hard for me - beyond hard, in fact! I know that many things come to mind with Siehara, but maybe it's just a little pang of homesickness and needing her own space. 

Also, when I worked with a personal trainer for a while she gave me some great wisdom. She said, "Exercise is a lot like church. It's really easy not to go, but once you stop, it's terribly hard to get yourself back through that door." Now, flip it around. Church is a lot like exercise, no? I sense that you feel you want to go...so go. Not for the other people to notice you. For yourself. It's a good thing.  And as Mike often says, I doubt that you'll walk out the door at the end and say, "Well THAT was a waste of time!"

(Ha! Listen to me today!)

Take care everyone and happy Friday, even if it is the 13th!
Lisa H.
on 7/13/12 12:49 am - Whitehall, PA
Hey Lynn.. I'm thinking it's part of her social anxiety issues.  It's weird since she knows a lot of the girls there, though.  It's usually in a new environment.  The advisor asked if maybe it was body image issues and I said it was possible, but when we were shopping for shorts she commented that she felt better wearing shorter shorts than she used to, so I really don't know.    She also said that she is not showering properly... apparently she's not using soap or something.  I'm not surprised.  She has done that at home.. she'll get under the water, but not get clean.  I don't know what's up with that either, and with not swimming, I'm sure she does not smell too pretty.. 

I hope we can get to the bottom of this.  She asked me to bring up some coloring books she had bought for herself, so I will do that.  Maybe she just needs to decompress with something like coloring.  It is a great stress reliever... now to find where she put them in her room.  

As far as synagogue, I'm still not sure.  I'm not sure what I get out of it, if anything.  I don't know what I believe in anymore.  I believe that there's a G-d, but don't know to what extent, or what my going to the service actually does for me other than show others that I am there.  

sigh.... 

My tracker

hers 

musicaldonna
on 7/14/12 1:24 am - PA
Lisa,

Your post about not going to synagogue really resonated with me.  I have been a Catholic all my life and basically have been surrounded by it because of attending Catholic schools, college and teaching in them.  For the past 7 months I have had nothing to do with any organized religion.  My personal spirituality is vital to me and I still pray and see a spiritual director.  I am also not certain what I believe any more.  I feel very connected to my Creator and want to keep that relationship as primary in my life.  What has happened as a result of that is I have to make the effort to feed my soul.  It cannot be done by osmosis because I am surrounded by Church activities and people.  It is forcing me to put my money where my mouth is and to put time and effort into my spiritual life.  I try to be a good person and follow the golden rule as best I can.  I believe that my Creator has brought me to where I am at the present time and will not desert me.  Just wanted to reach out and let you know that there are other people out here that can relate.

Hope that you have a good visit with Siehara and you can get to the bottom of her situation.  I admire how you have dealt with all the situations this past year.  One day she will realize how lucky she is to have you as her Mom.  Take care.
\
Donna 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1771 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1866 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2549 views