What a Great 1st Saturday Meeting at Langhorne

Arlene E.
on 10/6/12 6:57 am - Philadelphia, PA

Today's meeting was fantastic!  Much of it focused on the emotional aspects of eating and so many attendees contributed such thought provoking words. I am sitting at home going over many of the things that were said.  I must remember to stay in the present moment.  Enjoying what I have today is much better than worrying what was or what may come..

“We either make ourselves miserable,
or we make ourselves strong.
The amount of work is the same.”

Jackie Fisher
on 10/6/12 10:01 am - PA
     I have to agree! For me as a "newbie," or someone who is less than a year out, the topics that were discussed today were so important to me. I find it amazing how open and honest everyone is about their addiction to food, yet I still have yet to admit to that. I think Norm speaking about shame and guilt really hit home for me! I think I finally found it okay to feel guilty for the decisions I had made leading me to weigh in at 460 lbs at my heaviest. But like he said, he learn from those things we feel guilty about and we know what we have to do to fix them. I knew getting surgery was not going to fix me, but enable me to do the right thing. I have fallen off the wagon already at only 11 months out, but now I will always remember this meeting and about learning from the guilt and not being shameful. I am human and I will learn and grow from the things I have done.
     I know it has been some time since I have posted on here, but today's meeting really hit home for me. As always, the brutal honesty from you Arlene, Laureen, Susan, Donna, and so many others continuously inspires me to keep successing the way I have been and to always know what to look forward to and what to watch out for. I don't think it is said enough how much those of you who are further out have an impact on us newbies! You always say that we give you your spark back, but (I'm sure I speak for many people when I say this). you keep the fire burning. Your wisdom and knowledge and willingness to share have far exceeded my expectations. You are all amazing and meeting all of you has truly been more empowering than even losing 200 lbs!! Thank you all so much!!
"Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present."

-Jackie

Laureen S.
on 10/6/12 12:57 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Arlene, Jackie and anyone else lurking . . .

Today was an amazing day, rich with interactions from all in attendance, from the pre-op to the "old-timer" and everyone in between . . .  what we all do by showing up and opening ourselves up to one another is the healing part of what must take place for us to move in the direction of self-love.  

As was said, a lifetime of programming our minds and subsquently our bodies, does not change quickly, but change can be effected by staying in the present, because the past is just the history of what was, the power of the past is what we can learn from it and the future is yet to be and so, in the present, we can hopefully create all that we dare to dream by embracing what is right here, right now.  We must shut out the shame and allow guilt to simply be an indicator of what we need to change and then get into right action.

While most of our meetings are good, some are in the exceptional category and I think today's was the latter. . .  I thank each and every person who was there and those who came before me, for putting me on this path to a new freedom. . .  I am now truly aware of the possibilities and hope that this exchange continues to inspire us all.

Hugs, Laureen 

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

musicaldonna
on 10/7/12 2:15 am - PA
I agree whole heartedly with Arlene, Jackie and Laureen.  Saturday's meeting was a great experience for me.  Sometimes when I go to support group I do not feel connected to what is being discussed.  This meeting was energizing for me and I want to thank everyone who was there.  We do learn from one another - no matter if we are pre-op, newbies or old timers.  I wish I could bottle the energy that was present in the room but that would be too easy.  I know that I have to continue to make healthy choices not only food wise but attitude wise.  Just for today this is what I choose.  You guys rock.  Take care.

Donna
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1771 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1866 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2549 views