Just something to think about. . . Dis-ease and how we see ourselves

Laureen S.
on 6/21/13 9:13 pm - Maple Shade, NJ

While this is not necessarily WLS related, I think if you read it through and get to the questions part of it, you will see the value. . .  we start out this journey with hope and expectation that we will be better somehow because we've become "healthier and more socially acceptable in appearance", time goes by and perhaps some things change, mostly focus and if we don't change our perceptions of self, therein lies the Dis-ease. . .  Just think this article I copied from a Daily email I receive (DailyOm), is a good one, most especially as we "age" post-WLS.  Best wishes to all. . .

Find the Healing Message in Dis-ease
From Find the Healing Message in Dis-ease On-Line Course

by Steffany Barton, RN

The following is an excerpt from the "Find the Healing Message in Dis-ease'" on-line course. If you would like to enroll in the course, click here.

Regardless of the severity, intensity, frequency, or duration of any condition that would cause you dis-ease, Spirit can and will inspire you to the most perfect cure: self-acceptance and unconditional Love.

Although wonderful and beneficial on many levels, our medical system, from a spiritual vantage point, greatly separates us from our nature and encourages us to form an identity around what is wrong. Whatever is off balance receives recognition, the perpetual pursuit for “what’s wrong” becomes all right.

This point was driven home to me at a Christmas dinner I attended. On my right hand side was an older couple, the man wore jeans and a white, oxford shirt. He sat forward in his chair, frequently imbibing his alcoholic beverage.

Next to him, back erect, donned in a red jacket and blinking earrings, sat his wife. Her lips pursed, she stared at him.

Desiring to engage in friendly conversation, I asked the man, “What kind of work do you do?”

No sooner had the words left my mouth than the wife jumped in, “He can’t work. He’s got a bad knee.”

Instantly, he looked deflated, then replied, “I’ve got a good one, too. And all my other parts work.”

“Well, the doctors and I know about your bad knee. It’s stopping you. If you’ll get the knee fixed, maybe you can work,” she replied.

“Yes, but I’ve got a good knee!” he insisted.

“Yes, but you’ve got a bad one!” she reiterated.

Both sat speechless. I quietly munched my salad. The silence was golden.

What struck me most about the revealing conversation was that this woman had reduced her husband to a bad knee. Despite his full life, decades in which I am sure he had acquired many experiences, memories, materials, and moments to share, she recognized that he had a bad knee!

You are not your knees, your nose, your knuckles, or your nervous habits.

YOU are a spirit, and you are more that you believe yourself to be!

“I am Spirit, whole and free. I now allow my physical, emotional, and mental health to reflect this perfection in every way! I am healed!”

Let’s talk about your body.

TAKE SOME TIME TO ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS

1. What are your beliefs about your body? Are you willing to let go of the old in exchange for a spiritual belief about your body? Do you believe you can heal?

2. Write a list of physical and emotional illnesses and how you think these may be connected to your underlying thoughts or fears.

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1773 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1868 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2551 views