10 years post-op

Lizlo76
on 7/19/13 7:09 am - PA

Hi!

Liz, from Pittsburgh, Surgery(RNY) in October of 2003.  I was a member of OH way back in '02-05ish and drifted off.  I met many wonderful people that have helped me along the way, some of which I still keep in contact with.  I'd love to meet more people from my area to keep me on track!  I'm currently at my lowest weight(Well 5 pounds from) and am maintaining.  However, would I love to get off 20 more?  Yes.  Another reason I am here, to ask if anyone has had any health issues since surgery?  Mainly, anemic due to iron levels.  I ended up in the hospital for a week because I had no idea I was anemic and had no idea how low my blood was.  4 units of blood and 3 iron infusions later, I am alright and being followed by my pcp and hemotologist.  With that, I thought for sure I had huge ulcers in my stomach due to stomach pains every time I ate, but a scope showed no ulcers, but acid erosion around my original surgery incision.  Anyone have anything like this?   Another reason I am here, to make sure I make everyone aware of the importance of proper vitamin intake and following the 'rules' of bypass surgery.

Anyone else have any issues, are in my area, and if you are, would you like a new exercise partner?  I try to run 3-5 miles at least 3 times a week.  Straight up cardio until I get this last chunk of weight off.

Liz

lynnc99
on 7/21/13 8:59 am

Liz, I am not in your area (in fact, moved to FL in 2012) but am interested in your issues and questions 10 years out. Ten years is a LOT! 

I'd love to hear your tips for maintaining.....

Lynn

Aries1973
on 3/9/14 3:18 am

We had surgery same month same year.  I also have had some deficiencies, but mostly my own fault.   I went through a period of time that I wasn't taking my vitamins like I should have.  I was never instructed to take an iron supplement.  I had been suffering from fatigue for a long time, and that's how I found out that I had a deficiency.  Fortunately, I didn't have to have any transfusions or iron shots.  

Seems there aren't very many of us old timers on here.  I used to come to the site routinely when I was a newbie.  

I came on today because I have been struggling to keep the weight from creeping back on, and was looking for some moral support.  Seems this far out, you try to eat like a "normal person", and you blend in with the masses..no one knows your food issues.  I know though, and my relationship with food never has been and never will be normal.  

I read a lot of the stuff the weightless babies post, and I fear for some of them.  Weight loss surgery forces you to deal with your emotional food issues, because when you wake up from the anesthesia, you're comfort/hiding place/your excuse for failure is stripped away from you.. You want to eat ..but you can't.  That's when you really realize what a mess you have been. If you don't truly resolve your issues, you end up posting 13 years out because food is still more important to you than it should be....

Anyway, sorry to ramble.  

Dena

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1762 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1858 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2538 views