USA versus Quebec

imaladybug
on 9/5/09 2:45 am - St. Zotique, Canada

I am so confused!!  My sister, who lives in Ottawa, has been referred to Utica for weight loss surgery because of the wait list.  She was told she does not have to pay a penny for this.  Quebec is accepting Ontario OHIP patients for FREE also - OHIP is covering everything.  The wait list is long though.  We (my sister & I) have decided to do this as a team so how does this work for me?  One of the criteria on the RAMQ site states that they will only cover this surgery if it is not offered in Quebec.  I have absolutely NO money to have this done but at this point I am desperate!  I am 62 years old, am 5'2" tall and weigh 193 lbs., have yo-yo'd most of my life and reached goal twice in the past 10 years only to have it pack on again.  Back surgery complicated my life in 2001 followed by a hysterectomy.  Now I have Type 2 diabetes, fatty liver, acid reflux, depression, back, hip, knee & foot pain (for which I am prescribed even more paint medication).  My quality of life is the pits.  Can anyone enlighten me about how to go about having the lap-band procedure done in the US & will Quebec Medicare cover this?

Spezza_Fan
on 9/10/09 12:21 am - Gatineau, Canada
Hi Lady Bug,
Unfortunately it is not possible to have this operation done other than in Quebec to have it covered. The waiting lists are somewhat long for whatever surgery you choose but because of your list of comorbities, you may be eligable to be moved up on the list. The waiting time varies between 1 to 7 years. I know it sucks as I am waiting to and people I know in Ontario started looking into this after me and have already gotten the surgery. Good luck and keep us in the loop.

Derek
Brenda B.
on 11/1/09 8:49 pm - Gaspé, Canada
The gouv. of Québec announced this fall that it will be investing quite a bit of $$$$ in the lap band procedure.  It wants to make this procedure more easily available through out the entire province.  You should at least start your process and get yourself on a list.  The money will be invested this year.  I work in the health fiel and went online to get the ministeiral assessment report. It is available online.  If you do not mind travelling I know that Dr. Brouiette (?) in Val Der has much smaller weight times.  You should call a few  centres and see their policy on age and weight.  from your post you may not quatlify with the weight you mentionned as well, many doctors will not operate for this procedure with someone over 60.  A friend of mine had to go privately and it was only Dr.Christou who accepted her.  She didn't have comorbities though.  I wish you much success in your search, but if I were you I would start be meeting bariatric doctors to have a better idea of the wait time and if they will operate on you. 

Brenda B, HW 328 PreSW 298 CW 156 Goal 165 
AT GOAL..................NORMAL BMI! DOING THE HAPPY DANCE

MARVEN00037
on 1/8/10 9:41 am - pierrefonds, Canada
I was on a list until i decided to go to mexico may seem exteme but it was a very good experience cost me less that 6000 $ was done last month and i have already lost 40 pounds i know for some it is a lot of money but it was 18000$ for a gastric sleeve in montreal.  if money no problem then pay and get it done in canada in montreal i would go see dr christou but if waiting is not an option and money is a problem i would recommend mexico.    I did and i have no regrets

Spezza_Fan
on 1/13/10 12:15 am - Gatineau, Canada
Hi Marven,
6000$ is actually a very good price for the VSG in Mexico and might be one of the lowest price I've seen so far. Does that actually cover your plane ride down and your stay down there? What Dr. did you go see and do you recommend him? The wait time in Quebec has gone down since the Gov. gave money Dr. to perform more Bariatric Surgeries. I think it's a plan that covers for 3 years so far. Let us know the steps you took to get your surgery done.
Most Active