What does the Quebec Dr's want you DSers to take as vitamins

schnookielumps
on 11/12/09 11:50 am - Canada
I had my surgery in the states Quebec's waiting list was way too long.  I'm wondering what the Quebec surgeons are telling their patients( DSer's) to take for vitamins/minerals.  

Can you tell me what minerals and vitamins you take and how much? Do you buy them in Quebec/canada.  I'd like to start buying in Canada if that's an option.

I take
40,000 iu vit A (dry)
50,000 iu vit D3(dry)
400 iu Vit E
2 multi vitamin (centrum fort)
6 calcium citrate
300 mg EuroFer
5000 sublingual B12
2 B complex

Thanks
Debbie
Brenda B.
on 12/14/09 3:39 am - Gaspé, Canada
Hi Debbie and welcome to the board.  I also went the self pay route but I had my procedure done in Montreal.  Although mine was RNY.  My surgeon recommendations did not meet the National Institute of Bariatric Surgery's guidelines.  Why I am not sure?  I wanted to play it safe so I am following the NIBS guidelines.  They recommend two products: Celebrate vitamins and Bariatric Advantage vitamins.  I chose the later as they are less expensive and I was able to get some from a Montreal pharmaceutical company.  Unfortunately they are liqidating their stock and will no longer be available in Canada.  The company is Minogue Medical and they have a website. Here is the link:  www.minogue-med.com.  Maybe they have some left. They are selling them off at 50% off.  You can check both these brands and compare your vitamin values to theirs and see the difference.  Celebrate I think has specialty vits for DSers. 

Your vit D3 is alot higher than mine but it may be especially for DSers(mine is 2000ui) ;same for  your B12.  I take a B12 shot once a month. I also take half of your calcium citrate but I am not sure what your values are.  Hope this helps.

Brenda B, HW 328 PreSW 298 CW 156 Goal 165 
AT GOAL..................NORMAL BMI! DOING THE HAPPY DANCE

Brenda B.
on 12/14/09 3:40 am - Gaspé, Canada
PS. If you have private insurance coverage you can get B12, Calcium citrate, Vit D prescribed and they are covered to a certain percentage. My insurance covered 80% of the price.

Brenda B, HW 328 PreSW 298 CW 156 Goal 165 
AT GOAL..................NORMAL BMI! DOING THE HAPPY DANCE

Most Active