Vitamins

Brenda B.
on 1/29/10 10:45 am - Gaspé, Canada
I wanted to talk about the importance of taking a good vitamin post op.  The surgeons in Québec are in my opinion not suggesting the latest recommendations from the national bariatric institute (not sure what they call themselves, don't have it on hand as I type) but you should really get a reputable bariatric vitamin and calcium supplement.  They are worth the investment in the long run. A centrum multivit just does not cut it especially for RNYers with malabsorption issues.   I also opted out for a B-12 injection once a month.  I also added a B complex with vit C in my daily routine as well as magnesium as I am surgically menopaused.  My bloodwork up to now is perfect and I want to keep it that way.  Post op you will need a chewable vitamin and calcium citrate.  In pill form they are just way too huge.  I still cannot take my calcium citrate in pill form. So do your own research and compare prices and quantities and make up your own mind.  Just remember to take them daily!   

here is the link for my ressource        http://nutrition.otago.ac.nz/__data/assets/file/0005/4784/BariatricNutritionReading.pdf

Brenda B, HW 328 PreSW 298 CW 156 Goal 165 
AT GOAL..................NORMAL BMI! DOING THE HAPPY DANCE

salem4444
on 1/30/10 6:29 am - Canada
Thanks for this great ressource. I don't know if centrum could be enough for us vsg'ers, it is said in the article that RNY needs 200% of the recommended daily dose but lap band only 100% Think Vsg is more like lap band because we have no malabsorption.But in the first year, as we will eat small amount, I think it's better not to take any chances. Can you tell us, as an example, the brands you use and when do you take them. I take other pills, and I know some vitamins cannot be combined with them.

Thanks
Diane
                                              HW 320 SW 299  goal W 150 CW 138 (5' 7 " ) 
At Goal !!!

Brenda B.
on 1/30/10 6:58 am - Gaspé, Canada
I take Bariatric Advantage multivitman twice a day: in the morning along with a 1000ui Vit D, Vit B complex with added vit C and a 250mg of magnesium.

With my snack or mid morning I take my Calcium Citrate

Lunch multivitiman with vit D again

Mid afternoon another Calcium Citrate

Before bed another Calcium Citrate

Vit B-12 injection once a month.

I don't take iron as I am surgically menopaused. Because I am menopaused I added extra vit D and magnesium.

Also I take meds for my heart condition. I am still short of the daily recommended 1600mg of calcium but I am only four months out and there is just so many vitamins one can take in a day.  That is most of my morning problem. Once I get the vits down with my water my stomach is full til lunch. So that is why I switched to a protein drink in the am so that I would also get  my protein and pills in at the same time.
I bought Bariatric Advantage as I used to be able to order it from a Montreal pharmaceutical company but they have stopped recently. They had a 50% sale so I stocked up.  I am looking at the Celebrate Bariatric Vitamins for later on as I am tired of the chewable kind.  Hope this helps.

salem4444
on 1/30/10 7:17 am - Canada
Thank you very much.  The only problem is where to order those bariatric advantage or celebrate vit without paying too much on the shipping. If you find a good place, please let me know.

Bye
Diane
                                              HW 320 SW 299  goal W 150 CW 138 (5' 7 " ) 
At Goal !!!

Brenda B.
on 1/30/10 7:20 am - Gaspé, Canada
www.bariatricchoice.com  mails free shipping when ordering more than 79$. I ordered often from them and service is excellent! Highly recommended. :)

Brenda B.
on 1/30/10 7:26 am - Gaspé, Canada
Just went on the bariatricchoice website and they now carry the celebrate vitamins! I've shopped around alot prior and post surgery and they have the best deal on shipping! Don't order too much over 100$ as it will get stuck in customs and you'll end up paying extra for duties and taxes! I've made at least ten orders since 2008 and I have never paid for shipping and only paid duties and taxes once! Til next time :)

Most Active