MET SURGEON

Christine F.
on 3/24/14 2:46 am

So I met with the surgeon March 21st 2014. Now it is the big waiting game. Still need to meet with the dietician to get my questions answered. I have lots. I am really struggling with my decision still. Each day I feel different and not 100% sure why I am feeling this way. The doc I met with works with Dr Court since he was in surgery and she seemed nice but got my all confused telling me that I was borderline NOT a candidate :( She also told me that I should get the Gastric Y Surgery instead of the sleeve. My sister had the sleeve almost two years ago and she loves it and has lost 130 lbs. I am just so torn. Anyone else out there that is going through this process and still not 100% sure.

matha66
on 3/25/14 6:55 am - Montreal, Canada

Hi Christine, I am also waiting for surgery. I wonder why the md suggested RNY over VSG...did she specify. Perhaps you suffer from GERD (reflux, heartburn) in which case it can worsen with VSG in which case she may have suggested RNY for you. Hope all goes well for you.

matha66
on 3/25/14 6:56 am - Montreal, Canada
claudiaes
on 4/2/14 1:20 am - ddo, Canada
VSG on 11/18/13

why are you almost not a candidate? did he say ? 

Christine F.
on 4/2/14 2:18 am

They said my bMI of 39.8 is not considered high with my height of5 foot8 1/2

claudiaes
on 4/4/14 1:34 am - ddo, Canada
VSG on 11/18/13

do you have any other issues, diabetes , anything?

if I had to , personally, I would put on some weight, you are not far at all, 39.8 is 0.2 away from 40 bmi which is morbidly obese , you would only have to put on a couple of  pounds and I would push for the sleeve, I do not like the gastric bypass but that is my opinion.

my bmi was 37 when he operated on me but I had a lapband so maybe that's why.

do your research very well because what ever you choose yo have to live with it for the rest of your life, you have to be really honest with yourself and know what you are capable of doing and what you are not.

I wish you the best of luck! 

Haggisboy
on 4/26/14 12:28 am

Sounds strangely familiar, but different. I just met with the surgeon the other day at the Vic. It would appear I met with the same one as you (it was a woman), even though I was supposed to meet with Dr. Court.

She told me that even though I was leaning for the gastric bypass, her recommendation to me was for the sleeve because of my age (53) and my BMI which is very high, and that I am Type II diabetic. She said there would be less complications with the sleeve. Who am I to argue.

I didn't get to meet with the nutritionist as they were running late so that's going to have to be done via phone interview.

Asked a ton of questions but the ONE that I forgot was "how long now"?

Most Active