Making veggies palatable

Haggisboy
on 5/11/14 12:19 am

I was speaking with the nutritionist about the optifast diet and the need to eat veggies. I was told I could have salads but with no fat. That means conventional dressings are out. Can anyone recommend either commercial or homemade dressings that can be used?

justpete
on 5/11/14 8:37 am
VSG on 04/02/13

dijon mustard, balsamic vinegar, sweetener packet.  no oil.  I really enjoyed steamed broccoli during my pre-op phase.  Also cucumbers and radish in vinegar with some pepper. stuff like tomato slices, baby carrots, snap peas are ok without dressing ... but in moderation because they have a fair amount of carb.

walden farms makes some zero everythign dressings ... some of those are ok.  I like the chipolte or bacon ranch ones ... not sure if the ingredients are pre-op diet freindly, but they have no oil or sugar ... jsut whatever chemicals that make them seem like they do.  lol

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

Haggisboy
on 7/3/14 2:57 am

I discussed the Walden Farms dressings and dips with the bariatric nutritionist and she was completely unaware of these products, and quite skeptical. However upon checking them out via the Walden Farms website, which provides the full ingredient list and nutritional breakdown, she told me they are fine, so long as used judiciously and in moderation. Their Italian dressing is actually very good and contains no sugar, fats, oil, carbs or gluten. Just a clever mix of a few vinegars and spices, among other things.

Most Active