The people who talk about not feeling full make me not want to go through with this.

Blondebetch
on 4/11/11 3:24 pm
RNY on 06/13/11 with
So many people on here talk about how they don't get a full feeling. Some people say they dont feel it EVER...and some dont feel it until months and months out. Some people say they are always hungry. Only 30 % of people dump...okay so if I don't dump and I dont feel full then WHAT IS THE POINT!? If I wanted to eat 1 oz of food and still be hungry and not get full from it I would have done that without gettin my insides rearanged!! Any insight? Any words of encouragement becauseright now, I wanna go eat some pizza and throw away my folder full of surgery papers. :(
Ladytazz
on 4/11/11 3:50 pm
Everyone has different experiences. For me, no I don't get full. I also don't pu**** I eat my measured out meals. I don't snack or just sit down with a bowl of something to eat. When I say I don't get full I mean that I never get that just ate a Thanksgiving meal feeling. What I do get is a sense of feeling satisfied after I eat. I always look at my little 1/2 cup of food and think to myself that it will never be enough, I'm going to have to eat more then that and then after I fini**** I don't feel like I need any more. I am satisfied.
I also don't really get hungry. I have had a few times where I have waited too long to eat and then I feel like I should eat something but I never get that famished, need to eat something/anything feeling. I usually eat by the clock because if I waited until I was hungry to eat it might be 5 or more hours.
So basically what I am saying is that for me all this surgery has been is a tool to help me eat smaller portions and be satisfied and to not feel so hungry as to sabotage my eating plan.
I was telling my surgeon that I never got hungry and he said that if a patient can say that it is the best that can be hoped for.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Michelle L.
on 4/11/11 3:58 pm - Phoenix, AZ
In my case, I noticed that I don't need to feel full anymore. I used to LOVE the feeling of being stuffed full of food. Pizza washed down with Diet Coke, lasagna and a big glass of milk, lots and lots of bread, etc. -- these were the things that made me happy. There was a transition from feeling that way to where I am now (not that far out!), and it wasn't fun, but it wasn't that difficult either.

I can prepare a little plate of yummies (the best one today: sausage and salsa!), and I feel perfectly satisfied when I'm done eating it. I really can't feel stuffed right now; the closest thing to that is a very tight, burning sensation below my sternum, and when I feel that I know I've really overdone it.

That is full to me, and it is not fun at all, so I avoid it by making sure I don't eat too much or too fast. Also, things like pizza and lasagna don't even taste that good that good to me now. If I have to chew it until it's dead, it just doesn't have the same appeal anymore. That especially goes for bready/doughy stuff -- but we're supposed to be avoiding that anyway, so it works out. :)

So I eat my 1/4 to 1/2 cup worth of good food, and I don't feel hungry. I just feel done. You won't have the full sensation, but you'll discover that you don't really miss it. There are better things in your future than a full tummy!

Lady Lithia
on 4/11/11 10:50 pm
The feeling of full, I am convinced, was my TRUE central issue that helped me get obese.. I looooooved how it felt to be thanksgiving-stuffed..... and I literally cried when that realization came to me because I knew in that moment that I would NEVER EVER EVER feel full like that again. It's just not possible with our pouches. They are empty, filled but not full, or OHMYGOD I"M GONNADIE..... no pleasant sense of stuffedness.
)
After I dried up my tears and got over my sad..... I just knew in my heart that if this was my number one issue, the surgery would inevitably be a success for me. If it wasn't FOOD itself that I was addicted to because truly, I could n't care less about that..... but if it was something I was physically unable to do..... ever.... then WLS couldn't HELP but be a success.

That was enormously gratifying

(I've since figured out, since I am not one to let it happen, that I am also a boredom eater. I'm rarely bored, but the month I stayed at home recuperating from back surgery.... boy howdee, I pigged out)

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

JudiJudi T
on 4/11/11 3:58 pm

When people are talking about the full feeling it's because they can't tell when to stop eating.  The nerves are cut so you lose the sensation for a while.  But you're not hungry early out so it doesn't really matter.  You just don't want to overeat because it can be really uncomfortable.  That's why you weigh your food.

A lot of the posts you read are also 'head hunger' posts.  It's kind of like phantom pain - you're not really hungry, you just think you are.  Being over a year out, I get actual hunger now but a small amount of food satisifes me.  My body does tell me when to stop eating.  So I guess I feel full - although I never eat until I get that overly full feeling.   You won't be hungry all the time :)   

Before/after pic in my profile.  
Surgery: Dec 2009, lost 100 lbs

ceruleanme
on 4/11/11 4:06 pm - CA
I haven't heard of people not feeling full...

For me? I don't know if I dum*****t, because I haven't done anything that would cause dumping... I'm a month out and I've lost 40lbs. 

I am NEVER hungry. While I occasionally have a sort of intellectual desire for food, I'm never hungry. I do not want to put anything in my mouth. I get thirsty and I sip on water even when I'm not thirsty- but it's even sort of a challenge to get in my water.

At a month out, I should be eating 3 meals a day and 2 protein drinks, and it's kind of a chore to get all that in. 

As I understand, my desire for food may well come in about a year or so. The goal is to have gotten a lot closer to my goal weight, and have instituted some real changes in my life in how I eat. 

My surgery ended up complicated. I was in the hospital longer than planned, and the intubation lead to my getting pneumonia. My recovery has been longer and harder than planned because of this. This has not been a smooth ride for me, but I'll tell you honestly. I wish I'd done this 10 years ago. I would do it again in a heart beat. I miss food. Life is weird and I still need to wrap my head around how this needs to be the new normal. But I would still do it again.

Andy Lafferty
on 4/11/11 4:58 pm - Baltimore, MD
 I dont really feel hunger or full. I know when to eat and when to stop,Plus as an added bonus I sneeze when im full. Kinda weird but my surgeon said your body develops ways to let you know.
Ive never dumped as far as I know . The first 6 months or so was trial and error so I vomited alot.
If you asked me if id do it all over again, you bet your life i would.I like being accepted in public and not beinf stared at like i was some side show freak.Not to mention I like buying clothes off the rack and many other benifits that make pizza or any other comfort food not important anymore.
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

bunnyandbubby
on 4/11/11 5:36 pm - Henderson, NV
 I don't get hungry anymore, but I definitely feel full.  I measure out my portion of food, and sometimes my pouch is simply too full to fini****  I don't feel it in the way I used to when I would eat huge portions at buffets pre-op.  Rather, my stomach "gurgles" and then if I continue to eat after that, it gets uncomfortable.  

Honestly, the biggest difference for me between just eating small amounts of food pre-op and post-op is that after surgery, eating a small amount of food is no big deal.  If I eat only a couple ounces of food, I don't feel cheated and I don't fixate on it.  When I used to severely limit my portions BEFORE surgery, I would eat my small amount and then stare into the fridge longingly (or sit around and think about food).  Now... well, eating just isn't the big deal it used to be.

I haven't really dumped much - only a few times early out, and only with eggs.  It doesn't matter.  I'm glad I don't dump much because it's taught me to eat consciously.  I don't have dumping as a mechanism for control, so I have to use common sense about what I put into my body.  Really, it's not a big deal either way.  I find that it's not terribly difficult to exercise control, with or without the dumping.

Every single person on this site experiences post-op life differently - there are no absolutes.  You will find exceptions to every rule.  Don't let anyone's personal experiences deter you from having your surgery.  Because you are pre-op, you can't possibly imagine the ways in which your mind and life will change.  You also can't know how YOUR personal journey will take shape by comparing all of OUR journeys.  However, you will never know at all if you don't start down the path at all.  

Good luck to you!  
ANDREA 

HW 290/GW 159 (reached 2/19/11)/CW 142

seattledeb
on 4/11/11 5:46 pm
RNY on 12/22/08 with
Early out people sometimes don't feel full because they are on liquid or soft diets. Food that doesn't stay in the pouch long. Also the nerves are cut so you really can't tell early out if you are aren't full. That is why your doctor will give you a prescribed amount to eat.
Something I couldn't wrap my head around pre-op is that such a small amount of food would fill me up. I sometimes still have trouble believing it. But it does..it works. I eat some dense protein and that meal is going to fill me up and keep me going for hours.
I can't binge and get the over-filled feeling anymore.
Look in your heart..why do you want this surgery..what do you hope to accompli****'s a big thing.
Good luck
Deb T.

MSW will not settle
on 4/11/11 6:31 pm
@ WHAT IS THE POINT!?

You may feel hungry, you may have a cast iorn pouch, you may still desire all the wrong foods.  You already know this will not be easy.   Surgery or not, you still have to know when to walk away from that pizza. 

Think of why you started this in the first place and try not to allow fear to rule you.  Where will you be if you do nothing for fear of facing hunger and/ or a desire to overeat?  Before ditching the surgery papers, consider the alternative per the excerpt below. 

NEW STUDY FINDS THOSE DENIED INSURANCE FOR BARIATRIC SURGERY
DEVELOPED HYPERTENSION, TYPE 2 DIABETES, AND SLEEP APNEA

Weight Stayed the Same Over Three Years, But New Diseases Developed at Rapid Pace
LAS VEGAS, NV – JUNE 24, 2010 – Patients who were denied bariatric surgery for insurance reasons
developed a slew of new obesity-related diseases and conditions within three years of follow-up, according to a new study presented here at the 27th Annual Meeting of the American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS).

Researchers at Gundersen Lutheran Health System in La Crosse, Wisconsin, compared the medical
records of 587 patients who had laparoscopic gastric bypass (LGB) with 189 patients who were medically eligible, but denied bariatric surgery by their insurance provider during the period 2001 to 2007. At the time of initial medical evaluation, patients in both groups had an average body mass index (BMI) of about 48. The goal of the research was to track the development of five obesity-related conditions in patients who were denied treatment and in patients who had bariatric surgery.

After three years, the average BMI in the surgical group had dropped to 30.5 and less than 1 percent
of patients developed new obesity-related conditions, while a large number of patients in the denial group grew unhealthier. Though BMIs remained relatively unchanged in the denial group, more than 40 percent developed hypertension, 34 percent developed obstructive sleep apnea and nearly 20 percent developed gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Type 2 diabetes and lipid disorders developed in 9 percent and more than 11 percent, respectively.

“It is well known that bariatric surgery treats obesity-related diseases, our study now shows that it
can prevent new diseases from occurring," said Shanu N. Kothari, MD, senior author of the study and a
bariatric surgeon at the Gunderson Lutheran Health System. “Health insurers should take this data into
consideration when making decisions about whether or not to cover bariatric surgery. It is not only about the patient's current health status, but what is likely to happen to them in a relatively short period of time without access to weight loss surgery."

Previous studies have documented the beneficial effects of bariatric surgery. A 2004 study
published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) showed bariatric surgery patients lost between 62 and 75 percent of their excess weight and resolved or improved a number of obesity-related conditions including Type 2 diabetes (remission in 76.8% and significant improvement in 86%);
hypertension (eliminated in 61.7% and significantly improvement in 78.5%); high cholesterol (reduced in
more than 70%); and sleep apnea (eliminated in more than 85%).

http://www.asmbs.org/Newsite07/resources/2010_annual_meeting/access_to_care_insurance_denials.html

MSW   Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass: Eat sensibly & enjoy moderation  

Links:  Are you a compulsive eater?  for help OA meets on-line Keep Coming Back, One Day At a Time  Overeaters Anonymous 

LV'N MY RNY.  WORKING FOR ME BECAUSE I WORK FOR IT. 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
JuniperBerry · 38 replies · 482 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
JuniperBerry · 32 replies · 393 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
JuniperBerry · 29 replies · 437 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
JuniperBerry · 27 replies · 363 views
2 Months Post Op
sopranoduck · 6 replies · 106 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?