The people who talk about not feeling full make me not want to go through with this.

janet2921
on 4/11/11 6:33 pm - Chicago, IL
For me, its an altered sense of satiety. 
After 2 years, my pouch is still nice and small, so I get full not stuffed.  With the physical restriction, I can not eat large portions.

Its all about adapting to an improved GI tract to lose.... and control weight.

I am happy.

Janet
"Respect the pouch & embrace the scale."

cent100

I am 2 1/2 years out and rarely do I feel true hunger. I do battle "head hunger" the week before Aunt Flo visits, but other than that, nope. I will say that the hunger sensation feels much different than it did prior to RNY, and it took me a while to recognize the difference.

I always feel full after a meal, even over-full if I don't eat slowly and mindfully. I've not heard of a lot of people who don't feel full or are always hungry after RNY, so I can't say I know who you've heard this from.
sherri7794
on 4/11/11 9:58 pm
For me personally I don't have any feeling of fullness, but I also don't have any hunger either.  I actually have to remind myself by setting timers that it's time to eat.  Some days I get in what I should but a lot of times I don't get in enough by my doc and nuts standards (hence the fact that I am already more than halfway to goal at 2 months out). 
I think everyone is going to be different here.  The fact that I don't feel full doesn't bother me so bad because I don't feel hunger either.  I don't know if either of these sensations will return for me. 
I also don't know if I dump because after reading about how badly it makes you feel I have been VERY CAREFUL not to put myself there.  I hate feeling sick. 
I understand how you feel.  I felt the same way as I was going through the 6 months of classes that I had to take to get insurance to pay for the surgery.  When I felt that way I reminded myself that I also didn't like the fact that at the age of 33 I began taking meds for diabetes and high blood pressure and that to walk through the store and do something as simple as shop for groceries had became an almost unbearable chore, that I couldn't participate in life with my family because life was just too hard for me.  Was food (or I should say unlimited eating ability worth all these things?)
For me, the answer was no.  I was tired of telling my kids "No, mom can't do that because it wears me out....because I am physically unable...etc.  I have had a lot of people tell me "You've added years to your life by having this surgery." and maybe I have.  I don't look at it that way because I know you can do all the right things and die early or do all the wrong things and live a long life, but I KNOW I improved the QUALITY of my life 100-fold.  I am now able to play basketball with my kids and keep up.  Before I could shoot some hoops (no running, no defence, etc).  Now grocery shopping is easy.  Now getting the seatbelt around me in the car is easy.  Now I am not constantly thinking about food the way I was before.  Now when I get upset or mad I have found and am still finding new ways of dealing with it instead of stuffing my face the way I used to. 
It's not easy and I am sure this surgery isn't for everyone.  I think each person must make his or her own decision.  Also, I know that this is a tool for weight loss not a miracle cure-all.  We can blow it.  But this "tool" makes it much easier to lose the weight and to deal with our "food demons" as I like to call them. 
Good luck :)

M M
on 4/11/11 10:15 pm
 A full feeling can indicate going TOO FAR.

A full feeling can indicate OH **** I AM GOING TO THROW UP.

A full feeling is not always pleasant.

Many of us STOP just before full.

I am seven years post op, and I can eat until full and I know exactly my limit.  It took a long time to figure it out.
Lady Lithia
on 4/11/11 10:54 pm
AMEN

For a while I flirted with full, and full punched me in the nose every time

Now I know that "this much" is about right

And it isn't always the right amount, sometimes it's too much.

Hubby and I now have a stack of SAUCERS for our plates. He still uses full sized ones, but he knows that if the food he's serving me is bigger than a saucer full, it's going to be rejected

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/12/11 12:34 am
Yeap. When I feel full... means I ate too much and I will pay for that... lol..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

sqerlygirl
on 4/11/11 10:31 pm
I measure and stop when I feel satisfied...full feels horrible and can occur with just one extra bit of food past satisfied.

If you eat dense protein and avoid sliders...don't worry, you will be happy with the restriction :)

Char
RNY 11/28/10 5' 6"
HW 263/SW 217/CW 130/GOAL 134
LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Lady Lithia
on 4/11/11 10:44 pm
there are a lot of responses and wht I'm going to say is likely  repeated, but I only have a few minutes before I have to go to work, so I wanted to spend my time answering your question instead of seeing what others wrote. I apologize if I'm repeating what others wrote.

1. Most people who never regain that 'full feeling" also never regain that "hungry" feeling either. I have some "full" signlas but other than head hunger and perhaps monthly during-my-period hunger, I just don't get hungry. I struggle to eat a decent amount every day. I lose inadvvertently all the time. it was near nine months before I got "full" in any regularity and even then it's a tiny feeling...... but I'm at goal and struggling not to lose more

2. The way this surgery messes with you is truly, honestly, impossible to explain..... I honestly felt like they did brain surgery and NOT stomach surgery because I had all kinds of strange things... no sense that my stomach was operated on but no hunger, different tastes, etc.

3. Dumping is a great tool. Expect that you won the "dumping lottery" and you dump. so ALWAYS eat as if you are a dumper. You may never find out if you are..... but you're eating like you are so what does it matter? 

4. Malabsorption helps you to lose weight fast

5. Knowing that you do not feel REAL hunger helps you to evaluate YOUR personal unique reasons for being obese. WLSs is a tool to YOU becoming more successful at eating in a thin-person way. If you think the surgery is going to do it all then there IS no point in getting the surgry...... you figure YOU out while the malanbsorption and following the ruless takes care of the big huge initial weight loss.

6. by the time the feelnigs come back, and full and empty come back, you've lost the majority of your weight and you've had a ton of food-epiphanies along the way..... you are successful if you embrace every part of the possible and change your relationship with food.

So you need to decide if it is for you. Only YOU know if this is something you want because you want to change yourself physically and mentally, or if you thought you'd just have the surgery and be done with it. I think it's an excellent tool. But YOU know if you have what it takes to use it

It might not be the right time for you, or the right surgery for you.

There is no magic surgery that anyone can have and just forget about it and live life and get thin and sexy.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Lori P.
on 4/11/11 11:04 pm - Kenosha, WI
I am almost a year out....

I dont feel full or hungry....

I weigh and measure everything.  If I feel anything, it means I ate too much and it feels awful.  Once in awhile I realize that I don't feel good....and it means that I have not eaten in awhile.

For me.....
Food is not longer important....my old favorites, I cannot tolerate.....I am totally apathetic towards food....it no longer matters what I eat becuase it no longer holds the allure it once did.  

SW 212 / Goal 130 / Current 130

(deactivated member)
on 4/11/11 11:41 pm - TX
I am exactly six weeks out today; and I have had many of the same thoughts you are expressing right now. I didn't feel full for the first three or four weeks but I definitely do now. Its a slow process of realization. I had other signs of fullness post surgery but I just wasn't recognizing them - a twinge in my breastbone, a hiccup, watering of the mouth. And if you AREN'T full; you will definitely know when you have overeaten and you throw up what doesn't fit.

I haven't dumped but I have gotten an awful, nauseous feeling when I've eaten too much carbs or fat (two instances) plus some heart racing and just a general "I have to lay down right NOW" feeling.

My reason for the surgery, overall, was this: I have been fat for twenty years. Not huge fat, but ranging from 30 lbs overweight to 110 lbs overweight at the highest. I have lost 40-50 lbs three times and gained it all back. I felt like this was probably an EXTREME way to do it - in fact, the first time I heard of gastric bypass, I was horrified. But I cannot and have not done it on my own in the conventional ways.

You are not going to be able to eat like you did before, period. You may not feel full initially but you are not going to be physically hungry. After a period of one year to eighteen months, you may be able to work your way back up to something similar but it would be an effort. I needed/NEED that year. To get the weight off. To force myself to change my habits - food is my drug. To break the addiction.

Six weeks into it I am very happy. I've lost 36 pounds in six weeks. I am continuing to lose. I am rarely hungry - very rarely. I am feeling good and getting back into exercising. I wore a size 20 pair of pants to the hospital on the day of my surgery, and today I am wearing a size 16 pair of dress slacks and a sleeveless shell sweater in an XL. Amazing. And more to come.

I was worried about so many things pre-surgery. One of them was water - I was a GOOD water drinker before surgery - and I was worried I'd never be able to take normal swallows of water or get 80 ounces in a day down. A few days after surgery I was drinking normally. Certainly not "chugging" a bottle of water but easily getting it down. Same with other liquids and the allowed foods.

Its certainly a personal decision but I have no regrets even at this early stage. I worried about the complications, the long term implications, etc., but I have decided to take one day at a time and see where the path takes me.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 368 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 339 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 401 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 339 views