What did your pre-op diet consist of?

Work-in-Progress
on 4/20/11 12:42 pm
I am 28 days away from my surgery..... (happy dance). I was not instructed to be on any pre-op diet other than the day before surgery (clear liquids and milk of mag.) I would however like to put myself on a pre-op diet. Therefore my question is what was your pre-op diet and how soon before your surgery did you start it?
FIRSTMAMA25
on 4/20/11 12:52 pm - CONROE, TX
MY SURGERY IS 5/3/11, I STARTED MY PRE-OP DIET TODAY, ACCORDING TO THE INSTRUCTIONS I AM TO CONSUME 3-5 PROTEIN SHAKES DAILY, AND I CAN SUBSTITUTE 1 PROTEIN DRINK, WITH OPTI-FAST SOUP OR A PROTEIN BAR, I CAN ONLY HAVE 700-900 CALORIES DAILY, AND HAVE TO DRINK ALOT OF WATER.
qnmimi
on 4/20/11 1:04 pm - Cottage Grove, MN
I was on full liquids for 2 weeks, with clear liquids only the day prior to surgery. Surgeons have all kinds of requirements, just follow yours, and all will be well. Good luck to you both!!

redbedhead
on 4/20/11 1:17 pm - Colorado Springs, CO
My pre-op diet was for 10 days.

All the water and sugar free jello you wanted
3 times a day an 8 ounce EAS ready to drink protein shake
1 time a day a meal consisting of 
       3 ounces of chicken or tuna or 1 egg
       1/3 cup rice, pasta, or potato
       1/4 cup cooked or 1 cup raw Green Vegetable
you may use spices as needed, but NO salt!

Anna   
RNY 10/14/08 LBL 6/14/11    135 pounds lost, after bounceback regain.  And I am OK with that.  It enabled me to have double hip double knee replacements in the 9 month periond between Oct 2011 and June 2012.  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/20/11 1:31 pm - OH
No pre-op diet... just the one day of liquids only and the bowel prep.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

RLP39
on 4/20/11 2:53 pm

My pre-op diet started with my general practitioner about four months pre-surgery.  I had two protein shakes a day for breakfast and lunch with unlimited fruit and veggies for snacks.  He said I could eat whatever I wanted for dinner but needed to make sure that veggies filled 3/4 of my plate.  I actually liked that plan it worked well for me.  A week prior to surgery my doctor had me on a soft foods/liquid diet and then 2 days prior to surgery clear liquids only and bowel prep the final day.  Good luck on your upcoming surgery!

HW/SW/CW/GW - 257/229/151/136                      

skabets112
on 4/20/11 4:24 pm
full liquids for 10 days. for the most part, I had protein shakes. However, i had the option to have broth, popsicles (sugar free), and jello and pudding (both sf as well). I mainly stuck with the shakes, because they filled me up the most and it involved less thinking

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me"  Phil 4:13

Andy Lafferty
on 4/20/11 7:23 pm - Baltimore, MD
 They really didnt put me on a diet I was 440 LBS the day of surgery. But I did go from 569 to 440 in 6 months on a diet I made myself. I made a 16oz. shake for breakfast and lunch. The shake consisted of a cup of fat free milk,a cup of frozen unsweetened fruit(your choice) 2-3 scoops of unflavored soy (90% isolate) protien and a pack of splenda. Then had a sensible dinner,cutting out things like Mayo,bread,cheese,fried foods. for desert id have a cup of frozen fruit with yogurt.

Hope that helped.
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

grmadeb01
on 4/21/11 12:30 am - FL
my food plan is almost the same for the first 6 months or so..it started with the 14 days of pre op...its kinda long, but it really wasnt that bad..and then when i came home i was on the purree phase and it was very easy to just down size a little from the pre op plan..
here is what my pre op food plan is..
breakfast: 8 oz skim milk with 1/2 scoop of protein powder and 4 oz fruit
mid morning: protein drink, full scoop with 8 oz of skim milk
lunch: 6-8 oz yogurt, 4 oz fruit or vegge
afternoon snack: you have choices here: 1 oz nuts, OR 2 tablespoonsa peanut butter, OR 1/2 cup beans, OR hummus AND 4 oz fruit or vegge
dinner: 4 oz lean protein Meat, 4 oz vegge with 1 tablespoon olive oil, AND 1/2 cup whole grain starch, OR 1 slice wheat bread
evening snack: 8 oz skim milk with 1/2 scoop protein powder, AND 4 oz fruit..
so it really was noit that bad..sometimes i moved my yogurt to evening, sometimes i had my nuts in the evening....i will admit i cheated a little with some cheese as i have not drank milk in like over 30 years, i just dont drink milk so it was a bit of challenge for me..but then i added the nectar proteins to my home made fresh squeezed lemonaide and it was great..so that is how i got the portien in..but i still had some cheese...

hope this helps, please ask if you have any more questions
have a great day
debby
Work-in-Progress
on 4/21/11 10:10 am

Thanks everyone...... I dont post very much, however I read ALL the time! YOU are ALL amazing

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 444 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 453 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 395 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views
Forum Search Error & 404