This definately isn't easy!

jhpby
on 10/18/11 5:43 am - Oshawa, Canada
And trust me I didn't think for 1 second that it would be...i just thought I would put a post up about how things are going post op for me...I look forward to hearing peoples thoughts and opinions...im open for constructive critiscism too. Advance warning...this post is all over the place!

Ok...so far everything has been going well...I am keeping food down and feeling better and better each day.

The mindset around your eating definately doesn't change...for those who know me face to face I am a very positive person around this and have fairly good self esteem. I am a go getter and I am driven to succeed....At least thats what part of my mind is saying...the other part of my mind is saying...it's ok to eat this, there's no harm, you aren't having any bad reactions, this food isn't bad for you.... everything is a mind game these days.

I have self identified some of my challenges:
1) I am on the puree stage and I am not pureeing everything...I am able to eat chicken, beef, pork...I don't puree them...I just chew them really well. I almost feel like I have skipped over the whole puree stage

2) I am not getting in all my protein....I wouldn't say I am doing horrible but I'm not doing as good as I could... The last couple days I have made sure to have atleast 1 protein shake

3) I'm not walking enough.....I mean going out for walks....I am not sitting around as much as I was pre-op but I'm not going out specifically for the point of getting exercise...yesterday I went to the gym...yes I am only 3 weeks post op but I went and walked on the treadmill for 30 mins...I have a cold right now so I have been avoiding walking outside much cuz it just makes me cough

4) I am not getting as much liquids in as I should....supposedly we should get in about 2L/ day and I would say I am getting in 1

5) I take my vitamins (most the time) but I'm not great at keeping a schedule with them

6) I don't right down what i'm eating

I have been feeling kinda down on myself for the last few days thinking why am I screwing around with such an amazing opportunity? i have thought about putting up tyhis post but just kept avoiding it...but I think it is so important to talk about how you are feeling, ask questions, get answers.

One of the things I am wondering is....would I know I am full? There have been times where I ate more then a quarter cup of food at 1 time and I didn't feel any different then if I ate the right amount...My thought was if i overate it would feel very heavy in my chest, I may throw up, etc...but I feel nothing! I know that alot of nerve endings and stuff were cut so I may not get some sore pouch feeling but wouldn't I atleast have some physical feeling?

I have not been experimenting with things that are bad for me like sweets and breads and things like that....I have been only eating foods that I am allowed upto this stage

Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated....for the newbies....make sureyou do all your research...if you are going into this thinking it will be easy then you haven't done enough research, if you think that all your struggles will magically disappear they wont...

My surgery was sept 26- I am down 41.2 lbs (4lbs pre optifast, 23lbs on optifast, 14.2 post op)

thanks,

Jenn
HW- 343     CW- 266.4  SW- 314                                        My  is suberman!       

missjann
on 10/18/11 6:29 am
RNY on 12/21/10 with
Jenn, sounds like you're starting the hard work that lies outside the
physical changes. As you've identified, the surgery didn't alter your
mind or relationship with food. That's all just plain hard work. It
also sounds like you know exactly what you need to work on, you
numbered them!  Good for you!  Life isn't about being perfect. That's
where most of us failed in the first place.  It's about finding balance
and getting food in perspective.

I would only urge you to first take care of yourself. That means working
on the protein all the time and getting those vitamins down. You
can get really ill and feel pretty awful without both of those. You didn't
go through this to get sick or have permanent physical damage from
vitamin deficiencies.  Take care of that business and make it a priority.

Lastly, relax!  Your body hasn't really healed and gotten into its groove yet.
It's still trying to adjust to the physical changes.  You know what you should
be doing, so relax, work on that and listen to your body. Your pouch will
let you know when it's happy and when it's not. Everybody is different and
just like before surgery, some days you may be hungrier and eat more, and
some days not. My "full" signal is hiccuping. I only feel uncomfortable when
I eat things that make my pouch grouchy- pasta, bread, potatoes. That doesn't
mean that will be your full signal, nor does it mean I can just eat until I
get uncomfortable.  You will find that you can't eat some things now, but
you may be able to eat them a few months from now. The point is, relax and
get to know how your pouch feels and what your body is telling you. Your
hunger signals may be completely different from pre surgery, your full
signals may be different, and your body's needs may be different from
mine or anybody else's.  Enjoy the journey and keep up the good work.
    Jan

Pholaris
on 10/18/11 6:58 am
1) I am on the puree stage and I am not pureeing everything...I am able to eat chicken, beef, pork...I don't puree them...I just chew them really well. I almost feel like I have skipped over the whole puree stage--As long as you can eat them comfortable, then you are fine. Skipping a stage is only dangerous if your pouch is not ready for the next stage- but it seems like yours is doing just fine.

2) I am not getting in all my protein....I wouldn't say I am doing horrible but I'm not doing as good as I could... The last couple days I have made sure to have atleast 1 protein shake-- I struggled with the protein as well. Sometimes I still do and I am almost 15 months out. Just do the best you can as often as you can, but remember, Rome wasn't built in a day. It takes time to adjust, it takes time to get comfortable, so don't sweat the small stuff and just keep going. There are a lot of sites that you can also visit for ideas on how to mix thing up and recipes, and it could help you get in more protein. Pouch Party is one of my favorites because you can find recipes by stages, etc.

3) I'm not walking enough.....I mean going out for walks....I am not sitting around as much as I was pre-op but I'm not going out specifically for the point of getting exercise...yesterday I went to the gym...yes I am only 3 weeks post op but I went and walked on the treadmill for 30 mins...I have a cold right now so I have been avoiding walking outside much cuz it just makes me cough-- Here is my thing with excersize, yes creating the habit is important as a total lifestyle change, but there are plently of WLS patients who can't or simply won't excersize and that has not made them any less successful. My own experience also showed me that while it helps, it is not imperative. I have been in an out of hospitals with surgeries the last few years, so excersizing has not always been possible. Now my last surgery was back in March and since then, I have A- lost of the weight I wanted to lose and B- Gotten much better- so I decided to start working out and wow what a change- suddenly I like it a lot, and I think mostly it is because it is not so hard anymore. So I would encourage you to keep trying to find an activity that not only gets you moving, but that you also find entertaining, but when you don't- again don't beat yourself on it, just keep trying and do it when you can, when you feel good.

4) I am not getting as much liquids in as I should....supposedly we should get in about 2L/ day and I would say I am getting in 1-- This was another one of my struggles. I find it much easier to get all my liquids and then some now that my puch can hold more ounces at once and now that I can drink a lot more in one gulp. This is a work uin progress, just keep challenging yourself and it will get better.

5) I take my vitamins (most the time) but I'm not great at keeping a schedule with them-- Vitamins are really important. I would suggest finding something to make it work for you. I have heard of people setting up alarms, I even know someone who's husband reminds them to take their vitamins. I use an online food tracket (Sparkpeople, but there are other alternatives) that is not only free but it allows me to track all my food, supplements, liquids, excersize, and any other self impossed goals. I find that having to track and being able to see how I am doing helps me keep me focus and on track and has helped tremendously on my vitamin schedule as well as on my protein goals.

6) I don't right down what i'm eating-- Please see above. I think tracking the food is important because it helps you with A- Knowing what you are eating and how those nutrients break down B- Helps you set goals and track them, no matter if they are nutritional, fitness, motivational, or lifestyle, C- it gives youn a quick visual of what you are doing right and what you could improve on and D- I feel it keeps you accountable. We didn't just wake up one day and had this surgery, this was a long hard road and at times a very painful process so making it work should be our top priority, it is afterall our decission to live a better, healthier life that put us here in the first place.

Last but not least, I think you are doing great, and writing a post about how you are doing is a great thing because I am sure it forces you to be accountable for the good, the bad, and the downright uggly. Keep your head up and keep going, you will see that you can make lots of things happen if you set your mind to it!!

Pregnancy%20ticker
Jenni_9yrspostop
on 10/18/11 7:13 am
I'm sure your doc explained to you that you won't feel full,over full or anything until the nerves that were cut during surgery heal up. Therefore. you should be measuring your food and NOT overeating, and not eating any foods not pureed at this stage. A rough piece of meat, no matter how well it's cewed can open up the suture line inside your new pouch.There's a reason we're on liquids first, then pureed or soft foods. We're not healed up for 6-8 weeks. You don't want to end up in surgery again. Please be careful and eat as your doc tells you too - no matter how good you feel. At 3 weeks out I was eating 3 tablespoons of food 3 times a day. I didn't work up to 1/4cup of food until 3 months out. You don't want to be putting too much in your new stomach. Use this time to learn new eating habits - smaller portions and not eating till overfull. You won't throw up or feel full yet. Nothing's healed and it's not working ye****er is key. We dehydrate easily, make sure you're getting in your liquids daily. Right now that's more important than food. Get on a schedule with your vitamins and stick to it. It's really important and we can become depleated in some nutrients easily. We're told about the food and vitamin regiment for a reason.
We need them post op. You won't get all your protein in for quite a while. It takes time to work up to where we can take in enough to meet our daily protein needs. Again, follow your docs orders and eat/drink what you're told to.  Post op is a time to relearn new eating habits, get rid of the old habits that made us fat in the first place. Find a good support group in your area and find a buddy if you can to compare notes with. Make sure you eat what's allowed for your stage and drink lots of water. Exercise is important too. What we were given is a gift. It's up to us to use it wisely.
Jen 10 yrs post op
Ramie A.
on 10/18/11 7:35 am - Bronx, New York, NY
Hi Jenn, it sounds like you are doing great, so you should worry a little less!  I'd like to share with you that I pretty much skipped over the food stages quickly because my own pouch was feeling perfectly fine.  I'm two months out and have been eating solid food for more than a month.

I found that after about 3 weeks I did start feeling things again, including hunger (a little) and fullness.  (Thank goodness the hunger monster doesn't growl nearly as loud as pre-surgery but I know it's there.)  At four weeks through two months (now) I can almost eat 3 oz meatloaf and 1/4 cup of vegetables and sometimes feel full just before finishing and sometimes just after.  That seems like a lot when I compare how much I can eat at 2 months to what other people report. 

Also -- my head hunger was ferocious at two to three weeks.  Everything smelled so good, I wanted to and felt capable of eating a lot of food, even when I was just days or weeks out from surgery.  However, it seems like the head hunger has decreased a bit in the last month.  I had a bite of cupcake and you know what, it wasn't all that great.  And I had a bite of the tortilla wrap and you know what, it wasn't all that great.  Now even though things smell really good I know that they probably won't taste all that great, especially if its unhealthy. 

Surprisingly, things that don't smell that good -- like when I cook mixed veggies (broccoli / cauliflower / carrots) -- they taste fantastic.  Who knew??  LOL.

Good luck to you and keep us up to date on your progress!

Ramie A.

Lapband Nov 2006; revision to RNY 8/17/2011
5'3", HW: 205 / Consult: 189  /  SW: 184  /  CW: 140  /  GW: 130

lilbear412
on 10/18/11 8:59 am - MN
 I have to say Jenn that i can understand most of what you say.  I don't write things down much either but i am constantly aware of what i am eating.  And i don't have a cold.  lol  i went to work out last night also.  I struggled with protein POWDERS not protein itself.  i have felt good pretty much the whole time.  I DID do my stages but at the end of the puree stage i realized i could eat most foods without pureeing them with no problem. I can eat most foods now but really i just eat soft foods and not much else.  I ate breakfast of oatmeal this morning made with milk and i put some wheat germ in it. I am becoming aware that i need to up my fiber some.  I ate at culvers and all i ate was a chicken breast.  Probably 3/4 of one.  It was so good.  The culvers lady was so concerned for me?  not eating the bun, not drinking water, not wanting the fries....lol until i had to explain to her why.  I ate the rest of that chix for a snack.  Tonight..i am not sure what i am going to eat.  Probably left over chicken from last night.  And a vegie of sorts.  After supper i will make my berry/banana protein shake.  I took my d3 and multivitamin and calcium this morning and calcium this afternoon. 

I have also had conflicting things told to me and sometimes my head spins wondering what the heck to do.  My nut says to eat until i feel the fullness in my chest.  I swear to you last night i ate about 3 oz of chix and a few roasted carrots and i never really felt that fullness in my chest.  I don't want to just sit and eat and eat.  Others say oh you should not be eating that much..others say there were eating more at this stage.  So you ahve to just try to do what you think is best.  I have been starting to get more hungry towards evening so i decided to do my protein shake at night.  Nice treat anyways.  I have decided also that a1/4 cup of food is probably not enough for me at this point.  My hard work isn't because i am never hungry and am sick all the time, my hard work is because no foods have bothered me and i AM hungry sometimes.  So i have to really listen to my body.

Ramie...i am almost exactly like you.  I too think i can eat more than others have said.  And i do also crave things and then when i try them....wow what the heck did i spend so much time craving them for?  lol  I have lost about 50 lbs but this week my weight has surprisingly been up some.  TOM and thats about it i suppose.  Been on a little slump and i think its because i am not allowing myself to eat more.  I don't spend a lot of time snacking really so i might just be in starvation mode.  I might just be a slow loser from this point on too..who knows.  

But with your issues Jenn, don't think your alone cause obviously there are a few of us that are the same.  Its not easy to be sick and never hungry and its not easy to be fine and always hungry.  lol

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

glzgowlass
on 10/18/11 7:46 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
I can relate to some of your issues so you are not alone.  I do get in my vits though.  I thought this would be a real challenge for me because I'm not a scheduled  type of gal.  I want to make it as easy as possible seeing as I'll be doing it forever.

I take most of my vits in the am. including any scripts.   I take the first multi, the b50, the b12, the calcium citrate and the vit D.  To the best of my knowlege it's ok to take them together.    Around lunch I take my next load of calcium and the multi.  around dinner I take the third round of calcium  I just coincide them with meal times.   Then, before bed I take the iron chewable. 

Because I get most of them (that I can) out of the way in the am, the rest of the day doesn't seem so bad.  I also put them into a 7 day pill box which helps a lot.  I pack the box on sunday.  Takes about 3 mins.

I think you are doing fine.  Just work on the fluids, protein and vits

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

poet_kelly
on 10/18/11 7:49 am - OH
Sounds like you have a good idea of what the issues are.  What are you going to do about them?

You know what people say, they operate on your stomach, not your head.  And the head stuff, I think, is the hardest to change.  And it's the most important.  If we don't fix our heads, I think a lot of us would not be successful with WLS.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Andy Lafferty
on 10/18/11 12:59 pm - Baltimore, MD
 Get on track with your protein and water intake ASAP.

As far as feeling full, I didn't for a long time and now its only when I overeat do I feel it. My body gave me a few new tells for when im full. I sneeze, yawn and my nose runs,not all at the same time. Its mostly I just sneeze when I'm full.

Hope it all works out for you. Just remember " We may stumble and fall, but thats ok as long as we pick ourselves back up and continue on"

The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
JuniperBerry · 38 replies · 482 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
JuniperBerry · 32 replies · 393 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
JuniperBerry · 29 replies · 437 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
JuniperBerry · 27 replies · 363 views
2 Months Post Op
sopranoduck · 6 replies · 106 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?