But you have a pretty face???

Tim T.
on 10/18/11 4:45 am - Eastham, MA
Just wait till you walk past someone you know and you don't get a response because they don't recognize you!

jennifer W.
on 10/18/11 5:15 am
I hate the....I can see your face now....um so I didn't have a face before? Or the when you lose the rest of the weight no one will recognize you and You will be so pretty. Really?! I never thought I was ugly but apparently Im wrong.

I take compliments wrong. I don't mind some. Like today my gastro doctor saw me for the first time since before surgery and he said wow you look well and he said I seemed really happy.
 HW: 365  SW: 342  CW: 182

Inch by Inch's Life's a Cinch, Yard by Yard, Life's Hard - Dr.
Madden
bdocker
on 10/18/11 6:02 am

The "pretty face" comment has always made me nutty. It's like people can't think of anything else to say about your appearance so they are throwing you a bread crumb. It's thoughtless -and I know they are trying.

So having been the "funny fat girl" my whole life I always pre-think up gems and I have a couple for you!

Your response to - You can see it so much in your face - That's nothing! You should see my butt!

Your response to - You have such a pretty face and a great personality - Gee thanks! They are transplants, got them off a donor list. They are working out so far, but have to take my rejection meds....

Your response to - You are going to be such a knockout! - Only if I keep up the kickboxing lessons!

Okay so mabe these won't really work, but perhaps they made you smile just a tiny bit? I think in the end we have to have a laugh so that we don't get frustrated with others ingnorances of what we're really going through. Because I think unless you've really lived it, you just don't know. And in reference to the whole "Why are you going through this, you weren't that big!" First off they are probably not medical professionals and they don't know what YOU are going through. In the end you get to make the decision because you are the person most affected by it. I learned a long time ago that while I may have hundreds of pounds to lose, they are as important to me as someone else's twenty or fifty are to them.

Enjoy watching the pounds disappear, and know there are a bunch of us out here cheering you on.

Stephanie95678
on 10/18/11 6:21 am - Roseville, CA
My favorite back-handed compliment is:

You sure don't sweat much for a fat girl. 

Wow, had to pick myself off the floor after that one.  Really?  Don't people hear the words coming from their mouths????  LMAO!

Never interrupt someone doing what you said couldn't be done.

- Amelia Earhart

ravenssummer
on 10/18/11 7:03 am - West Warwick, RI
Your already a knock out! I hate when people say crap like that, I get that myself a lot to.
HW 348 SW 329 CW 196  

Jamie M.
on 10/18/11 11:48 am
The pretty face thing seems like a backhanded compliment.  I always get that, and I hate it!
fran_pa
on 10/18/11 12:18 pm - PA
I hate the... "You're so hot...........NOW"   "You look so good.......NOW"  "You're so beautiful....NOW"
I was recently at a party with my husband in which I walked through the dining room into the kitchen and it was like walking the gauntlet... I think I had 5 of these comments.  By the time I got through I was pissed.  My husband didn't understand why and said I don't take compliments well.  I then asked several friends if they would have been annoyed at those comments and they all said they would be.  Why the trailing...NOW.  What was I before... chopped liver?  And it really has been a defining line for who I want to associate with. 

Oxford Comma Hag
on 10/18/11 1:03 pm
ugh, I hate that line. People just need to have their filters changed, I guess.

I actually had a nurse tell me, 'But you're not that big'  when she found out I was having surgery. Uh, yes, at 310 lbs I was indeed that big. D'oh!

I think people tell us how they see our weight loss in our faces because that is mostly what they are looking at. I just tell people when they say stuff like that that I am just waiting for the day I only have one chin.
Andy Lafferty
on 10/18/11 1:08 pm - Baltimore, MD
 Yeah I lost my weight from my head down. The first year I thought I looked like a bowling pin.
As far as comments " You have such sexy eyes" Really!!, was I walking around with my eyes closed my whole life?

The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

DebsGiz
on 10/18/11 8:46 pm - FL

I have enjoyed every compliment I've received because I honestly do believe the compliment comes from a place of caring.

I think when we take a compliment that was intended in kindness the wrong way, it's about us and not the person who is giving the compliment.

We each see the world from the myriad of experiences that have fashioned our views; consequently, we each put our own spin on how we interpret the things in our world...

I encourage you to take every compliment as it is intended, which in my point of view is a kindness someone is extending to you. 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 407 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 415 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 403 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views