Post op day 3 and gas.

Findmenow
on 10/10/14 4:23 pm

Any advice on getting rid of the gas postoperative?  I was discharged yesterday, have been walking, taking my pain meds, sipping water and a little broth. I just can't seem to pass the gas. 

Also being a general nervous person and worrier finding it hard to sleep thinking of complications and how would I knuw there was a problem?  This is my first surgery ever. 

GodsChildII
on 10/10/14 8:08 pm - Seattle , WA
RNY on 08/05/14

Have you tried the extra strength GasX? What does your clinic recommend?

Poodlemac
on 10/11/14 1:08 am
RNY on 09/26/14

I completely understand your concerns but I'm sure all is well. I belched a lot- not exactly what I had expected. Try not to lie down all the time; Sit up as much as you can and keep walking. Go to the grocery store or Target- something fun and low key  keep moving and the gas will too!

karenp8
on 10/11/14 2:15 am - Brighton, IL

The best thing to do is walk and walk and then walk some more. Take a deep breath too and stop worrying. Most people have absolutely zero complications. So put the worry away on the shelf and start healing!

karenp8
on 10/11/14 2:16 am - Brighton, IL

The best thing to do is walk and walk and then walk some more. Take a deep breath too and stop worrying. Most people have absolutely zero complications. So put the worry away on the shelf and start healing!

NYMom222
on 10/11/14 8:27 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I remember passing an incredible amount of gas a couple of days after surgery, it is normal. I even had gas pains on and off for a few weeks as my body adjusted to new stages of food. You will get past it. I was allowed to take Gas-X. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Holli R.
on 10/11/14 9:21 am - Fort Worth, TX
VSG on 09/16/14

When I was in the hospital, they told us that passing gas is generally the last natural function to return, so it's totally normal that you haven't been able to yet.  Give it a few days, and you should be fine.  Be careful though, a lot of people have very liquid waste in the first few weeks, so it's best not to trust that all you'll pass is gas, if you know what I mean.

As far as complications, your body will let you know if there's a problem.  If you're suddenly in a huge amount of pain, if you can't keep any water down, if you spike a high fever, or if your incisions start to look infected (hot to the touch, cloudy or bad-smelling discharge, greatly increased redness or pain), then you will need to contact your surgeon or go back to the hospital.  But you'll definitely know if something goes wrong.  If something seems weird and you're not sure if it's normal, you can always call your surgeon, and there are also a ton of people on this forum who have probably experienced the same thing and will be glad to share their experiences with you.

For now, just follow your surgeon's and NUT's orders, and you should be fine.

Height: 5'0"  HW: 289  SW: 279  

Next Goal: under 250 lbs

clr055
on 10/16/14 9:12 am - Lewisville, ID
On October 11, 2014 at 4:21 PM Pacific Time, Holli R. wrote:

When I was in the hospital, they told us that passing gas is generally the last natural function to return, so it's totally normal that you haven't been able to yet.  Give it a few days, and you should be fine.  Be careful though, a lot of people have very liquid waste in the first few weeks, so it's best not to trust that all you'll pass is gas, if you know what I mean.

As far as complications, your body will let you know if there's a problem.  If you're suddenly in a huge amount of pain, if you can't keep any water down, if you spike a high fever, or if your incisions start to look infected (hot to the touch, cloudy or bad-smelling discharge, greatly increased redness or pain), then you will need to contact your surgeon or go back to the hospital.  But you'll definitely know if something goes wrong.  If something seems weird and you're not sure if it's normal, you can always call your surgeon, and there are also a ton of people on this forum who have probably experienced the same thing and will be glad to share their experiences with you.

For now, just follow your surgeon's and NUT's orders, and you should be fine.

*cackles* Never trust a fart!!

Findmenow
on 10/11/14 1:42 pm

Thank you all for the advice. Just tried walking more today and feeling good. I did pass 2 tiny toots, which was heavenly, LOL. 

I'm actually amazed at how good I feel. Almost normal really just a small amount of pain and get tired really quick, but just feel generally GOOD. :)

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 446 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 453 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 396 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views
Forum Search Error & 404