Advice on what to expect

kcaves
on 10/11/14 10:22 pm

I have been working with my Dr. since May to meet all the requirements of my insurance company and my bypass surgery has been approved and will be this Wednesday, October 15th.  My Dr. does his surgeries as outpatient.  Surgery should take about 1-1.5 hrs then I will be in recovery for 4-5 hrs then home. They will have me up and walking and make sure that I am doing okay before I go home.  My questions center around what to expect the first week after surgery.  Will I have constipation or diarrhea and for how long?  In everyone's experience is there any fluids I should limit or avoid (apple juice, broth, etc)?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/11/14 10:59 pm - OH

The first week after surgery you will probably have diarrhea (problems with constipation come much later as a result of not enough fiber and fat in our diet), but you will be taking in so little that there will be a limited amount.

Some surgeons recommend watered down apple juice because it gives you some calories and is easy on the tummy.  Others say absolutely no juice of any kind. See what your surgeon's plan says.

Beef or chicken broth (or even better, stock, because it has more protein than broth) is a staple for a lot of people post-op if they a longer liquids-only stage.  (This can vary from a single day (as in my case) to several weeks, depending on the surgeon. Again, see what your plan says.  You should already have received it so you can have the appropriate things on hand.)

Everything varies SO much from one surgeon to another that you should follow what YOUR surgeon's plan says not what other people tell you what THEIR plan says. My plan, for example, put me back of soft foods on Day Three and I had baked chicken the second week post-op (when most people are still on purées if not still on liquids!)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

dccyr
on 10/11/14 11:42 pm

You will be sore and tired.  You will still have a lot of gas which will be uncomfortable.  However it it so important that you walk, walk walk and sip fluids.  Also follow your drs instructions to the letter.  Don't try and cut corners.  We've all gone through this and come out the other side.  I don't even really remember now those first few days,  things are so much better for me on the other side.  Down 90 pounds since Feb 4 surgery.  

I followed my drs instructions and journaled every thing I ate, checked off my vitamins and got a fit bit to track steps, water, etc.  Having been doing this faithfully since Feb. 4.  It is now routine for me.  Now is the time to start those routines and stick with it.  It will work and prepare for the inevitable stall, the every once in a while throwing up if you eat to fast or don't chew well enough.  It may happen, just go with it and learn from it.  Plain water was tough for me at first, so I mixed with crystal lite and that was way better to get down. I can now drink plain water no problem.  

And buy some miralax, it will help immensely with the inevitable constipation which for me started at about one month.  Don't wait till it is unbearable.  Miralax is part of my routine every two days.  

And be patient,  we  didn't gain the wait in 6 months and it's not going to disappear in 6 months and be good to yourself on the tough days.  Over time, they will be few and far between.  

Good Luck,

Bibo
on 10/12/14 2:28 am

Ditto what has been said....the anesthesia made me constipated though, but i  tend to have that anyway. Jf they send  you home with pain meds, ask if you can take some OTC colace with them so you are not having to deal with constipation as you heal. They also pump your belly full of gas so they have room to work and see what they are doing...that can cause pain in the shoulders and back, and that's part of why it's so important to walk around a lot, it helps it work its way out and get absorbed. sip water, sugar free popsicles saved me and kept me from getting dehydrated. But check with your doc and follow their food plan. Good luck!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 350 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 384 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 477 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 395 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 87 views
Recent Topics