Four weeks post op. Revision from lap band. Worried!!!

Funnygurl79
on 10/12/14 12:39 pm

I had lap band in 2007. Got it removed 9/8/14. There was so much scar tissue. He surgery took over 6 hours. The surgeon couldn't make the pouch the size of the egg like he wanted. He made it slightly larger. After surgery, I had to go through a lot of testing to make sure liquids would pass. There was pooling of the contrast in the pouch. No one could explain what this meant. Finally I was told that things may linger a little longer in the pouch but they may not. I'm on regular foods now. I have lots of cramping. I can eat almost a cup. Im so worried that I will fail again. I've only lost about 12 pounds since surgery. I've been worn out. It took a lot out of me. I was cleared to start light walking now. I'm trying to get in all my fluids and protein. I'm really worried about the size of the pouch and not losing the weight.

Any suggestions? 

NYMom222
on 10/12/14 2:35 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Wow, sorry for the rough time you have had. It is easy to be worried, I think we all fear failure, I know I did and do...the surgeon said he made it 'slightly' larger. You still have a reduced stomach as well as malabsorption because of the intestines. Just keep doing what you are supposed to. I also had a lot of cramping when I transitioned to regular food, it lasted about 2weeks. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

saterry
on 10/12/14 10:01 pm - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

The nerves of your stomach have been cut so the hunger and feeling of fullness may not be there yet.

ALWAYS follow your surgeons plan, Just because you CAN eat a cup of food does NOT mean you should !!

You can't feel the effects of putting that much food in your stomach yet.

My plan didn't call for a cup of food for 9 months and it was a gradual process.

I still don't feel hunger.

You will lose weight.....follow the plan like its your job and your life depends on it !!

SRVG 1997 SW 301   Revision to RNY 10/3/13 SW 247 GW 130  Ht 5'8

Eggface
on 10/12/14 10:07 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Measure and track your food and drink so you know you are not having more than your plan recommends. I agree with the poster above... just cause you are physically able to eat more train yourself not too. I am of the mindset that it really doesn't matter much what tool you use to lose weight... it's more about the head. Hope you are feeling stronger soon... protein will help, water too. Everyday aim for a little better than the day before.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Funnygurl79
on 10/12/14 10:38 pm

I have been getting hungry. They told me to eat small meals throughout the day. I'm on regular foods now. I found small snack size protein shakes that are 100 calories. I'm going to try those. I have been restricting myself. 

Thanks for your suggestions. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/12/14 11:33 pm - OH

"Small" meals after WLS has an entirely different meaning than for someone who has not had surgery!  A cup of food so early out is simply too much, even if your pouch is slightly larger.

Studies have shown that it isn't the pouch size, or even the length of the roux limb that determines long-term success; it is changing your eating habits (which means food choices and portion control (people who are many years out could often eat amounts that are MUCH more than we need)).  Most people don't eat a cup of food until they are approaching a year out!

Almost every surgeon provides guidance on very specific amounts of food per meal/snack (not just small).  Please look at your surgeon's material, because I am afraid that you are sabotaging yourself.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

karenp8
on 10/13/14 12:21 am - Brighton, IL

Measure every bite of food you eat. I am over 2 years out and I don't know how much I could eat. I was told at a certain stage(about a year) to eat three meals of one cup of food and that is what I eat. I still measure my food when I am at home and eat slowly. I feel satisfied but not how I felt when I was full before. It's my new normal!

White Dove
on 10/13/14 12:23 am, edited 10/13/14 12:24 am - Warren, OH

100 calorie snacks are just slider food and even if they say protein are often loaded with sugar and carbs.  They can slow down your weight loss considerably as will all starchy and sugary carbs.

For now concentrate on dense protein and non-starchy vegetables.  What worked for me was no white foods, no bread, potatoes, rice, noodles, pasta, flour or sugar. 

After RNY there is a honeymoon period of malabsorption.  Make the most of that period by eliminating the white starches and build your lean new body with lean protein.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Funnygurl79
on 10/13/14 2:07 am

100 calorie protein drinks with 18 grams of protein. That's what I was referring to. 

The book that they gave me says that I should be in soft foods but when I went to my 4 week appointment, the nutritionist and the NP told me to start regular foods. I was following the book they gave me but they're not. I'm restricting what I eat. feeling very tired today. Trying to find protein snacks. Have been adding protein  powder to everything. 

Thanks for your feedback 

Ashley in Belgium
on 10/13/14 4:32 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

I am also a Lapband revision to RNY and very happy for it!  As others have said - just because you can doesn't mean you should.  1 cup is WAY to much this early out.  I don't experience hunger and I am 14 months out - but I eat 5 or 6 "meals" a day.  This means that each serving gives me enough calories/fat/protein to last energy wise for about 3-4 hours.  Then I need to refuel or I get tired and wonky.  Are you taking your vitamins?  It is also normal to be tired and less energetic at 4 weeks post-op.  I really only got back to high gear at around 5-6 weeks.  Give yourself time.  Think positively.  Your pouch size isn't really important at this point.  The tool works if you use it wisely!  You can do this - Here are some of my favourite soft high protein foods:  Ricotta cheese, Fage Greek Yogurt mixed with protein powder for sweet or Curry pastes for savoury, chick peas, lentils, chill, cottage cheese, quiche, etc.

Hang in there - it gets easier once you figure out the differences between the Band and the Pouch. Keep up with your vitamins and water and protein and the weight will come off!  Good luck

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 566 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 350 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 370 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 15 replies · 88 views