Question for Vet's (anyone more than 4weeks out

Bubbles314
on 11/5/14 5:45 am - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I am so happy to add fish, etc to my diet (soft food phase).  Yesterday I ate shrimp ****tail and a couple bites of sweet potatoes mashed.  I ate 3oz of shrimp and it did take awhile and I felt really full.  I stayed full from like 3 in the afternoon until about 10:30 at night, then I thought I should eat some more.  I ate some soup 1/2 cup.  I felt so sick all night and stuffed.  I did not throw up but boy my stomach was so noisy and it hurt.  Then this morning I had diahrea several times, my stomach felt a little better but I was nauseated.  Stayed that way most of the day.  Is this normal to feel so full for such a long time?  I weigh and measure my food everyday.

I go to the surgeon Thursday morning and will ask him the same question.  I started to take my anti nausea med again today and was not hungry this a.m., still not.  I went out to eat for the first time since surgery, I chose Panera I new I could get soup and would not have a lot of problems.  I ate 1/2 cup of the soup and brought home the rest (Autumn squash soup).  Should I be worried I only ate a 1/2 cup of soup today?  I am drinking water.  Does some food affect other people like this?  (shrimp is more dense than the puree I have been eating but it tasted ok and it stayed down)  I am not going to force myself to eat if my stomach is nauseated. Last night I am looking at as an example of what not to do, I ate when I wasn't hungry (vomiting is not something I want to do to myself).  If you have any advice I would like to hear it.  Thanks in advance

Dee.spunk
on 11/5/14 6:26 am - Sacramento, CA
,That happens to me if I eat something dense. Jut pay attention to your body. If you feel full or aren't hungry, don't eat. Give your body time to get used to new foods. Now, if a long time goes by and you still aren't hungry, or worse, you feel sick, call your surgeon.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Bubbles314
on 11/5/14 8:20 am - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

Thanks for the info.  I will definately pay closer attention next time.  I see my surgeon Thursday morning.

joansch
on 11/5/14 7:03 am

I've had a lot of problems with seafood -- shrimp, fish, crab, everything except scallops. It's strange, because I can eat beef, pork, and really spicy foods with no problems. Just take it slow and hold off on the shrimp for another couple weeks. Yes, when I've had a problem with something that doesn't sit right, I haven't been able to eat much afterwards -- usually I back off and go liquid for the next meal (or two) and then start back slowly.

The anti-nausea meds have been q big help. I was resisting taking them for a long while, but finally gave in and now whenever I feel nauseated I take one. It really helps settle my stomach, and I think feeling nauseous makes it more difficult to eat or drink anything.

Joan, Annapolis, MD

5'3"    SW: 248   Surgery date: 28 Aug 2014

Bubbles314
on 11/5/14 8:18 am - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

Glad I'm not alone in this.  Sounds like I should back off and wait to try it again later and maybe even eat less of it.  The anti-nausea meds are a god's send.

joansch
on 11/6/14 12:43 am

I just looked up the Panera Autumn Squash soup, and it has 31 grams of sugar!!! Yikes! That may have contributed to you feeling bad.

Joan, Annapolis, MD

5'3"    SW: 248   Surgery date: 28 Aug 2014

Chilipepper
on 11/6/14 11:07 pm

Exactly. Autumn squash soup is not on an early post ops diet plan. You should be filling your tiny pouch with high protien, low carb foods.  I would also stay away from the saltines. I saw that you have added them to your diet.   

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Mamazoune
on 11/5/14 7:30 am - Canada
Revision on 08/01/12

Hi there,

I was so nervous the first year after my surgery as I was discovering what I could and couldn't tolerate anymore.  Starches like patato as well as rice are still  not well received....my stomach... screams at me everytime not to mention gas, diahrea etc....this is the new reality.  Take it easy, take it slow and listen to your body. Your stomach will often make lots of noise, that's normal especially after you eat.   You have to eat though to lose weight, so remember little bites, chew,chew,chew and eat several times a day.  If you find something you like, get your proteins in first, and stick with it for a while.  I used to add new foods slowy and would assess the reaction.  I loved protein shakes and would make my own everyday for the first year and a half.  I got my protein, fruit and calcium in...and it was safe.  You are in the discovery phase, take your nausea pills and pay attention to your body.  Pain should always be monitored, if it persists I would suggest seeing your doctor.  I have to admit though that I was not hungry for the first year and half....so eating was a chore, I only recently started to have hunger pangs and even then.  I learned the hard way that you must eat often.  I have reactive hypoglycemia now, I have to be very careful to ensure that I eat or else...bad things happen.  Good Luck with everything and congrats on your surgery! 

Mamazoune                
Bubbles314
on 11/5/14 8:15 am - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

Thanks for the tips.  I am not in pain just sick to my stomach.  But I will not eat if I don't feel right.  Thanks for the encouragement.

cspotrun
on 11/5/14 10:42 am
RNY on 07/01/14

since you're on softs, it might be better to stick to cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, refried beans with melted cheese, oatmeal, greek yogurt, etc, just for a little while before something dense like shrimp.  You will get there though!

Karen   

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 362 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 387 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 232 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 479 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 398 views