Getting Anxious

twarne
on 1/29/15 3:41 am - Highland Grove, Ontario, Canada

My surgery is less than 4 days away. I am starting to get really nervous.  I would like to think myself as having a high tolerance to pain but would like to know on a scale of 1 - 10 how painful it was for fellow RNYers. and I am keeping in mind that everyone is different and has different tolerances. I would also love to hear from any one who had theirs done at St. Mikes in Toronto with Dr. Grantcharov. I have so far found him pleasant but have only met him once.  Any input is welcome.

Ticker 89109

carimiller9173
on 1/29/15 4:06 am, edited 1/29/15 4:07 am - Wilmington, DE

My surgery was Monday.  On a scale from 1-10, my pain level never went above a 5.  I do have a high pain tolerance and the staff could tell when pain was high as so was my blood pressure.  It normally sits at 120/78 or there about.  Just remember walk and sip, walk and sip.  My Dr. sent me home with Tylenol with codeine, haven't touched it yet.  Did do liquid Tylenol this morning for some discomfort.  Good luck!!

Pre-op weight 342.5; Surgery 320.7

M 1-10.5

kayleystar
on 1/29/15 4:42 am
RNY on 01/06/15

I have a low tolerance for pain. I refer to myself as a "pain wuss", lol. Honestly, I was SHOCKED at how little pain I had. Obviously, hours after surgery, my first time sitting up was excruciating. However, each time after that was better and better. I ended up only needing to be on pain pills for 3 days (not even needing Tylenol). I believe that not only was my surgeon incredibly skilled, but getting up to walk helped immensely. 

I wish you nothing but the best!!!

Highest Weight: 412 | Day of Surgery: 385 | Current: 341
Surgery Date: 1/6/2015 

Cathy W.
on 1/29/15 4:46 am

I had lap RNY surgery 14 years ago so I couldn't assign a number to give to you.  However, I was amazed at how little pain I actually felt. I kept waiting for the anesthesia to wear off and then the pain would hit but nothing, nada.  It never did.  I was walking laps around the floor of the hospital without much pain.  

Good luck with your surgery.  My wishes for it to be a low pain WLS for you.

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

Pokemom
on 1/29/15 5:59 am
RNY on 12/29/14

In the hospital, I had very little abdominal pain, hardly noticeable at all. But I did have a LOT of back pain.  I would say the back pain was about an 8 until I got on the pain pump.  I kept up with the pain pump, giving myself a dose every time I could, to stay ahead of the pain.  By the next morning after surgery, they took me off the pain pump and gave me Lortab instead.  I did just great.  The pain was there, and it was hard for awhile, but overall in the scheme of things, it was fleeting.  Once at home, I did not need much pain medication at all.  I still have some trouble with my back at times...I take that as a signal that I am overdoing things.  But it is getting better too.

mschwab
on 1/29/15 7:39 am
RNY on 11/21/14

At most, it was a 3. Very little pain. 

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

angel91e
on 1/29/15 1:21 pm
RNY on 01/15/14

I had almost no pain whatsoever after surgery. I think that is a more common outcome than those who have lots of complications. However I was part of another very common group after surgery which was that I felt sooooo much better than I expected to I kept pushing myself to get everything back to normal and I didn't give myself enough time to heal. Now that IS a good way to end up with lots of pain and/or complications. So remember just take it easy, walk and sip water as you can and always....always.... be mindful of your dr reccomendations.  That's all there is too it before you know it we'll be sliding down the losers bench to make room for you.

You got this!

Angel

HW/217 1st apt/202 SW/191 CW/115

1st goal:140 @9months

2nd goal:130 @11months

3rd goal:115 @16months  

Judi2
on 1/29/15 9:12 pm
RNY on 12/08/14

I am almost 2 months post op and my pain was about a 5 but Tylenol controlled it. Don't focus so much on the pain as there will be some at some level but they have good drugs that will help you. It's a temporary bump in the process.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 350 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 386 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 477 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 395 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 103 views
Recent Topics