14 years still a success

Charleschan3036
on 1/16/19 5:17 pm

I started at 287 in 2005 now at 127 size 2 and 5'8" I would not go back. I no longer dump. I eat regular foods but my lifestyle changed. I guess it is shocking to me how many long term have regained and are sesrching for revisions or 2nd surgeries....what fails? Why would it work 2nd time. I am not by any means judging. I truly do not understand

catwoman7
on 1/16/19 5:59 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

they stop monitoring themselves (stop weighing themselves and their food, stop tracking what they're eating, etc) and/or they let other bad habits slip back in - like overeating at meals and grazing. I'm sure most of us are guilty of doing that from time to time (I am!!), but the trick is to catch yourself and get back on track before it gets out of control

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Kathy S.
on 1/17/19 8:34 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Congratulations on your long terms success! I think most of us get complacent and move away from the basics that got us to goal and keeps us there. Once that happens the pounds slowly creep back on. Plus it sounds like you decided this was your new life style not just a "diet". I too found even after 14 years if I worked my tool my tool worked for me.

Thanks for sharing your inspiration!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Jester
on 1/17/19 10:25 am
RNY on 03/21/16

For me, it's losing the battle with the demons in my head. Eating healthy has become a habit. I am very nearly 100% compliant with eating "on plan", but I'm not "normal", or at least not a "normal" thin person. When I have the opportunity to observe people who have always been thin, I've noticed that they not only generally make good nutritional choices, but they also don't seem to overeat (have no problem leaving food on their plate when they are full) at meals, and will turn down snacks when they are not hungry. I don't believe much of this is conscious, I just don't think they are hungry, and therefore don't have a desire to eat. I am not that person. My default state is to want to over eat. I love to eat, and I love food. Snacking has little to do with me being hungry, and everything to do with me desiring the food experience. I have to constantly battle those demons or I will regain. Granted, making healthy choices helps A LOT. My food is MUCH LESS calorie dense than before, so small transgressions have limited impact. That is definitely helpful. But if I am not forever vigilant I will lose the battle.

As far as why would a revision surgery work? I have doubts that it would in the long term. I don't have any data on long term success rates of revision surgeries (specifically done to deal with regain as opposed to complications from a first WLS surgery), but I would expect they are not good. I imagine the vast majority of people who fail to maintain weight loss after WLS do not do so because the surgery failed them, so I have no idea why another surgery would work.

I imagine people want the revision because they desire another chance to be successful. That they need that magic weight loss phase again (or some version of it, even if it is less dramatic than the first time around). And maybe for a small percentage, that first WLS failure was enough of a lesson learned to be successful the second time around. And that would be my wish for all of them, but I somehow doubt that's the case.

Gina 21 Years Out
on 1/17/19 12:45 pm - Burleson, TX

I read your post earlier today, but did respond, as it hit me as being offensive, at that time...

I'm reading it again, and giving it another try, with fresh eyes...and a lot more coffee :)

I am nearly 17 years out, myself. My personal journey was somewhat of a roller coaster, at times...I suppose you would have found it to be "shocking"...

But...I stuck it out...leading the post op life...staying plugged in, to OH, year in and year out, stayed with my local WLS buddies, etc...saw hundreds of peeps fall by the wayside...

And here I am...10 pounds UNDER goal...at 61 years old...

Crap happens...Life happens...Regain happens...Reloss happens...

But SUPPORT is FOREVER, if ANYTHING, is to work

So, I guess, to answer your question...WHY DO PEOPLE "FAIL?"...I would say lack of support

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Jester
on 1/18/19 8:09 am
RNY on 03/21/16

I didn't read it as "why do people fail", I read it as more specifically asking about revision surgeries. I think the question was "what failed with the physical surgery that people believe a second surgery would fix". That was my take anyway, just a different perspective.

In fact, I believe that the OP probably agrees with you that "Crap happens...Life happens...Regain happens...Reloss happens..." and specifically because of that is asking why a second surgery would change that.

Anyway, just providing my interpretation. Maybe I should just let OP respond for themselves ;-)

MLC45
on 1/19/19 5:31 am

I took as both "why surgery fails" and why "people fail". When I went to the doctor after regaining 80 pounds the doctor told me that the majority of revisions don't work long term because often it isn't the surgery that's the problem. He said, if the pouch is stretched out it's usually because I've over filled it or done something to begin with, and a second surgery won't fix my bad habits. He was right. I do have a friend that had a second surgery, but it wasn't from any bad habits. The ring around the stomach got twisted and needed to be removed. So it can be medically necessary. I wonder though, how many are necessary, and how many are like me, requested one because of bad habits. In case you're wondering my request was denied and I returned to watching what I ate and exercising, and the regain has been coming off.

Gina 21 Years Out
on 1/21/19 5:15 am - Burleson, TX

Thank you, for sharing this! I know, first hand, how hard mentally/physically losing regain can be, but also know it CAN be done!!!

I am cheering, for you !!!!!!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Ladytazz
on 1/22/19 7:35 pm

I wanted to address your question about people wanting revisions.

I was one who failed miserably with my first surgery. I didn't do anything right and wound up regaining 100 lbs.

I did seek a revision but not to lose the weight I had gained. I actually wanted a reversal because I had a miserable quality of life due to complications with my first surgery. Basically I was left with a blind limb in my intestines, which trapped bacteria and caused all kinds of problems with gas, diarrhea and other issues due to the toxins that were released. I even had reactive arthritis and dermatitis due to the toxins attacking my joints.

After 8 years the weight gain was the least of my problems. I was miserable and wanted my old guts back.

My surgeon told me that a reversal wasn't possible but I could be revised to correct the problems. I also had my stomach revised to a very small pouch. I previously had a very large sleeve. In 2002 they weren't doing them the way they currently do and my surgeon didn't like malabsorptive surgeries so he made my stomach larger to compensate. The problem was what goes in much come out and that aggravated my issues.

Anyway, he told me at the time that I might not lose any weight but at that point I didn't care. I was hopeful I wouldn't gain any more but mostly I just wanted to get better.

I decided since I was getting a second opportunity I might as well make the most of it and try something different like following the rules. It is almost 9 years later and I lost the excess weight and have kept it off since then.

So some people are able to learn from their mistakes. That doesn't mean I think revisions are a good idea, especially just to lose regain. But if there are problems with the original surgery having a revision to correct those problems might help with the weight. I know for me having restriction really did help me follow the WLS rules. It was hard before because I had no restriction and was hungry all the time and it is very hard to eat right when you are constantly hungry.

Which is a long way of saying that not all people who want revisions want them to lose weight. I know many people who were at goal who needed a revision because of complications.

They key, as you said, is making lifestyle changes. And sometimes you need a better tool to be able to continue those changes. If I didn't have the restriction I have now I never would have been able to maintain this long. My previous surgery was not the right tool for me, aside from causing so many issues.

That is why it is so important to go into this knowing what the best tool is for you. Not what the doctor suggests or wants to do but knowing what your problems are and what tool works best to address them.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 504 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 468 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 412 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 420 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 7 replies · 36 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?