Had my pre-op today and suddenly it's becoming real!

MadisonRose
on 1/17/19 4:13 pm
RNY on 01/23/19

It's really starting to sink in now that I'm actually having surgery next Wednesday. I almost still can't believe it!

My pre-op went well aside from something I was told today by the PA. She told me that if I have a lot of scar tissue from my last surgery (had surgery in 2015 to remove a 50 pound ovarian cyst) then they may have to open me up so the surgeon can see better. Of course it's only a possibility, but I'm really hoping that's not the case since I only plan on taking 2 weeks off of work. Anyone have any experience with having an open RNY surgery?

I'm also surprised that I don't have to do any type of pre-op diet as I was totally expecting that. Just the typical nothing to eat/drink after midnight the day of surgery. And as soon as I go home I can have puréed foods apparently. No strictly liquid diet. I guess every bariatric program is different though. I think my biggest hurdle is going to be getting my liquids and protein in and also training myself to not drink anything 30 minutes before or after I eat something. But I'm going to give it my all because I want to succeed!

I was a little turned off though when I was sitting in the exam room waiting to see the PA and the dietician. Two staff members were having a conversation right outside my door and they were talking about a patient who had called with a question. One of the staff members said "oh my god, she called again?! She is so annoying!" I sure hope they don't think of all their patients as annoying. When I used to work at this hospital I was always told never to talk about patients because you never know who could be listening. I'd think that would be the norm at any healthcare facility with HIPAA laws and everything. Guess I was just in shock that they just go around talking about patients within earshot of other patients...even if they didn't know I was in there.

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox. I'm definitely getting more nervous now! Not really from the surgery itself....just more of last minute jitters knowing that my insides are going to be altered. I know that this is the best choice for me though and I'm ready! Excited, nervous and ready! No turning back now...

Gwen M.
on 1/17/19 5:35 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Regarding HIPAA, while that's unprofessional for sure, if they're not sharing private health information like an identifying name, then it's not a violation.

I'd recommend that you start working on not drinking during meals now :) It's never too early to start practicing!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

MadisonRose
on 1/17/19 6:49 pm
RNY on 01/23/19

Very true! Great idea about starting now. I think I will actually. You know when I think about it, I normally don't drink anything until after I finish eating and rarely while I'm eating. I just need to get used to waiting longer between meals and drinks. Thanks for the advice! I want to make the transition as smooth as possible.

catwoman7
on 1/17/19 6:30 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

that patient may have been calling them multiple times a day, freaking out about everything. I've known people like that..

re: not having a pre-op diet - consider yourself lucky. The pre-op diets most of us are/were on are hell! And yes - programs can vary a lot - some require two weeks of protein shakes and very low-cal liquids only, some allow one small meal (the rest of the day protein shakes & low-cal liquids), some don't require a pre-op diet at all, etc... Again, you're one of the lucky ones! I also went straight to purees when I got out of the hospital - but my clinic now requires new post-ops to have a week (or two?) of liquids & protein shakes first (I went through the program 3.5 years ago - things have changed since then).

I thought separating eating from drinking was going to be really hard, but it really wasn't.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

MadisonRose
on 1/17/19 7:07 pm
RNY on 01/23/19
On January 18, 2019 at 2:30 AM Pacific Time, catwoman7 wrote:

that patient may have been calling them multiple times a day, freaking out about everything. I've known people like that..

re: not having a pre-op diet - consider yourself lucky. The pre-op diets most of us are/were on are hell! And yes - programs can vary a lot - some require two weeks of protein shakes and very low-cal liquids only, some allow one small meal (the rest of the day protein shakes & low-cal liquids), some don't require a pre-op diet at all, etc... Again, you're one of the lucky ones! I also went straight to purees when I got out of the hospital - but my clinic now requires new post-ops to have a week (or two?) of liquids & protein shakes first (I went through the program 3.5 years ago - things have changed since then).

I thought separating eating from drinking was going to be really hard, but it really wasn't.

Oh trust me, I've known people like that too! I work at a different hospital now and have patients all the time like that calling in. Frustrating for sure! So I completely get where those two staff members were coming from. Guess it was just awkward being on the other end of the spectrum.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm overjoyed that I don't have a pre-op diet. Almost feel kinda guilty since a lot of people I know had to go through a tortuous strict pre-op diet. But I'm definitely not complaining! Lol

I'm glad it wasn't that hard for you with the whole drinking/eating routine. Hopefully it won't be as difficult for me as well!

PrivateCitizen
on 1/17/19 7:58 pm

Hi I have not had bariatric surgery BUT I can respond to dealing with a vertical open incision after surgery.

Was your ovarian surgery a horizontal "bikini cut'? This will be different to recover from (slower), but many thousands manage just fine!

I woke to 37 lovely steel staples so beautifully and so perfect spaced that I admired the precision. I knew I'd have to be careful, no lifting, no driving even until OK'd to do so. (staples removed a while later)

They will give you a white 12" tall elastic, wrap around belly-band. If you have the open surgery I'd recommend wearing that band, and buy some Spanx type stretchy panty girdles, the ones that go from hip line to under breast are best, and mold the best, easier to wear than the industrial belly band with velcro you have to lie ob the bed to close. Various Spanx-type styles work better than others, softer with no hard grip at top are best to start, these are not expensive, ROSS and similar stores will carry them.

Bending over can be difficult for a while til you heal, and once home ALWAYS ALWAYS wash your hands for a solid 60 seconds before touching anywhere near the incision, what ever bandages you need to change on your own make sure everything is as sterile as possible, lay things out on a fresh clean towel, no cats/animals around, etc. Chose fresh clothing that might touch it, not rewear tops another 4-8 hours, etc. forget having more laundry, just put on fresh tops, that is more important.

This is serious enough for me to stress it not to worry you but to protect you. You are vulnerable to any bacteria entering your body, which can affect the fascia and tissues under the skin. Infections can quickly happen, so be careful using long Qtips etc on cleaning up the surgical area. We overweight people put more pressure on the incision line (gravity), so just baby yourself!

I wish you the best!

PS the scar disappears slowly over time, I later used coconut oil, warmed, every day, and I recommend a strong waist girlde if working out, avoid sit ups etc for a long time after- ask FIRST before you start a gym program, to not stress the fascia underneath that is also healing along the incision inside of you.

MadisonRose
on 1/17/19 8:57 pm
RNY on 01/23/19
On January 18, 2019 at 3:58 AM Pacific Time, PrivateCitizen wrote:

Hi I have not had bariatric surgery BUT I can respond to dealing with a vertical open incision after surgery.

Was your ovarian surgery a horizontal "bikini cut'? This will be different to recover from (slower), but many thousands manage just fine!

I woke to 37 lovely steel staples so beautifully and so perfect spaced that I admired the precision. I knew I'd have to be careful, no lifting, no driving even until OK'd to do so. (staples removed a while later)

They will give you a white 12" tall elastic, wrap around belly-band. If you have the open surgery I'd recommend wearing that band, and buy some Spanx type stretchy panty girdles, the ones that go from hip line to under breast are best, and mold the best, easier to wear than the industrial belly band with velcro you have to lie ob the bed to close. Various Spanx-type styles work better than others, softer with no hard grip at top are best to start, these are not expensive, ROSS and similar stores will carry them.

Bending over can be difficult for a while til you heal, and once home ALWAYS ALWAYS wash your hands for a solid 60 seconds before touching anywhere near the incision, what ever bandages you need to change on your own make sure everything is as sterile as possible, lay things out on a fresh clean towel, no cats/animals around, etc. Chose fresh clothing that might touch it, not rewear tops another 4-8 hours, etc. forget having more laundry, just put on fresh tops, that is more important.

This is serious enough for me to stress it not to worry you but to protect you. You are vulnerable to any bacteria entering your body, which can affect the fascia and tissues under the skin. Infections can quickly happen, so be careful using long Qtips etc on cleaning up the surgical area. We overweight people put more pressure on the incision line (gravity), so just baby yourself!

I wish you the best!

PS the scar disappears slowly over time, I later used coconut oil, warmed, every day, and I recommend a strong waist girlde if working out, avoid sit ups etc for a long time after- ask FIRST before you start a gym program, to not stress the fascia underneath that is also healing along the incision inside of you.

Hi, thanks for your reply!! Lots of great information!

I had a vertical cut from my belly button to my pupic bone. Was told in pre-op it would be a bikini cut....but things didn't go quite as planned. I'd just rather not go through that hell again if I can help it as the recovery from that surgery wasn't exactly a walk in the park and I have a pretty high pain tolerance. Sleeping was the hardest for me. I'm a stomach sleeper and well I couldn't exactly sleep on my stomach after that surgery. I remember tossing and turning all night for days because I could not find a comfortable position...everything hurt. That and always being so nauseated...not being able to keep any food or water down. However, I know that probably had more to do with the anesthesia affects. This time they will be giving me a patch to put behind my ear to control my nausea once I wake up from anesthesia.

I wish I knew half of what you knew after my open surgery! I was given nothing to wrap around my belly after surgery. This info will definitely be helpful for this surgery just in case they do have to cut me open. If they do they do.....it won't be pleasant, but will still be worth it.

PrivateCitizen
on 1/18/19 11:36 am

HAHAA How do you think I know to tell you!? Even with perfect planning stuff that is so practical gets forgotten. like the lip balm, EAR PLUGS. I loathe shared rooms with TV hounds, and me a quiet bookworm.

My most hated after effect of emergency abdominal surgery was being in the hospital for 3 weeks shipped out in my PJs and robe from the ER visit.. Then not allowed to shower at all. My hair was so oily NOTHING would stay in, not the combs I was wearing when they jetted me down to the hosp. in SF, not the clips I begged off a nurse, and NOT even the famous 1940s "crossed bobby pins" I saw my mom use to make curls. I sent another patient to buy me a pack of bobby pins, and tried, but 15 min after I anchored 4-5 everywhichway they just slid down past my ears to my shoulder. We both laughed.

That was a tiny problem!

I am glad at least you know what to expect on the discomfort scale. That ugly 1ft tall band was in the drawer I had, no real explanation, but on my exit papers it said to wear it. I am 5'1/2" inch, it was meant for the male Veterans, not us girl Vets, I hacked it back with scissors to fit. being heavier it is not designed for 'rolls', oh well.

MadisonRose
on 1/20/19 4:42 pm
RNY on 01/23/19

I am getting really nervous now! I have to be at the hospital to check in at 8 on Wednesday morning. Still can't believe this is about to happen!

I'm mostly nervous that something will go wrong. Not because I don't trust my doctor because I do! He's done thousands of these surgeries over the years and comes highly recommended. I worry that I may have to be cut open if there is too much scar tissue from my last surgery. That will make my recovery much longer and I know I won't have a job anymore after that. I worry that something will go wrong which will prevent me from getting the surgery. Like what if my surgeon gets in there and can't do it because I have another huge ovarian cyst that I didn't know was there. I never did go back for my yearly ultrasounds. My stomach has been hurting, but maybe it's all in my head because I'm so paranoid. My worst fear would be waking up in recovery only to be told they could not complete the surgery and then all of this would have been for nothing. I worry about complications. I worry I'm not prepared for this. I worry I'm not going to be able to get my 64 ounces of liquid in per day or even come close to it. I worry I won't be able to get in my 60 grams of protein daily. I worry I won't be able to keep anything down. I worry I won't succeed or succeed only to gain all my weight back.

Sigh....just so much going through my head right now. Don't know why I'm so nervous all of a sudden. I'll just be glad when it's all over with. I am just looking forward to waking up in recovery to be told the surgery was a success. I truly hope that happens!!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 418 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 368 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 421 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 8 replies · 68 views
Recent Topics