Coffee post surgery?

MadisonRose
on 3/24/19 2:33 pm
RNY on 01/23/19

Am I the only one who can't drink coffee anymore? Before surgery I loved coffee....I take that back, I was obsessed with it! I always started my day with a cup or two and on the weekends I'd find myself sometimes drinking it all day long. I practically lived at Starbucks and was always looking for new coffee shops to try. I just love the taste and love the smell!

After surgery I still crave it, but it does not taste the same. It's now gross to me and I gag everytime I try to drink it. This makes me sad because I miss coffee and the smell makes me crave it even more, but I've tried to drink it several times and each time I get one sip in and have to throw it out.

I wonder if I will ever be able to drink coffee again?

Surgery: RNY on 1/23/19

peachpie
on 3/24/19 3:29 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

If you want it- keep trying it periodically. I couldn't tolerate bacon post op, but over time I've been able to reintroduce it. My fondness for it will never be the same though.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

rocky513
on 3/24/19 4:28 pm - WI

Coffee tasted like ashes to me for about 8 months after surgery. I was so sad. I love my coffee. I drank herbal teas until my tasebuds regulated.

Keep trying. I'm back to my normal coffe consuption.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

ScaleSkater
on 3/25/19 6:33 am

Never an issue and I drink 24 to 40 oz a day (don't tell my doctor). I am on a ppi, so it hasn't been a problem. They only allow 8 oz a day post-surgery. My coffee tastes haven't changed.

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

NYMom222
on 3/25/19 10:49 am
RNY on 07/23/14

You are newly post-op your tastebuds go wacky. Likes and dislikes come and go. I am sure you will be back to your usual coffee loving ways at some point the first year. For me things were funky 6-9 months. Now food just tastes - meh- sometimes but not weird....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/25/19 11:55 am

My doc office - coffee was not allowed for the first year. After that was OK, bu the believed that caffeine in coffee can be dehydrating, plus the acid in coffee can irritate the pouch causing irritation or even ulcers.

But we were allowed decaff coffee, after first 2 months, - but only if we could add milk or cream, or other creamer to neutralize the acids.

I think they changed that later on. (I had the surgery close to 11 years ago)

Even now coffee often irritates my pouch. When I drink too much.

BTW: when you start enjoying the coffee again, be very careful when they make for you the flavored coffee , using SF syrups, etc. Some of the Starbucks coffee drinks even when you order the no sugar, etc. still may be full of sugars. Or... the barista may accidentally grab regular syrup, not SF, and you may end up with a full sugar coffee drink.

Unfortunately I experienced that. I got very sick, had a severe dumping, then after that "fun" was over, I had my very first, very scary Reactive hypoglycemia episode. My BS got very low, and I had a very hard time to bring it back to a safe number and keep it there. That was the absolutely last time I had any flavored coffee drink made by someone else. I make my own mixes, but never again would I trust a barista.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Lucile777
on 3/26/19 7:33 pm

I think as time passes you will be able to drink it again. I'm the opposite: I hated coffee before surgery but now decaf has become my life line to get my liquids in. This too shall pass.

RNY Oct. 27/17. HW 289; SW 285; GW 144; LW: 161 CW: 196 FML: Fighting regain :(

Momma2nicknmike
on 3/29/19 12:59 pm - Beavercreek, OH

I never drank coffee pre-op, then about 2 years post op I tried it and never looked back! I hated the taste before surgery, but now I love it!

Lynne    

alaskasusan
on 4/2/19 3:35 pm - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

Exact same for me. Totally did not like coffee pre-RNY, now a cup or two every morning.

kairosgrammy
on 3/31/19 1:59 pm
RNY on 10/17/17

Have you tried decaf? I actually went in the opposite direction. I was a one cup of coffee a day kind of girl, now I drink it all day long. They say to be careful of transfer addiction. I think coffee is my transfer addiction, LOL. But it's only 12 calories a cup so I figure that's way better than eating bags of licorice or Reese's PB cups.

Surgeon: Dr. David Carroll Surgery Date: 3/17/2017 Hospital: Merritt Health River Oaks Hospital

Height: 5'2" HW: 331 lbs SW: 279 lbs GW: 130 (originally, I changed to 140) CW: 130 to 135 ish

Biggest Goal: To Be Healthy in everything I do!!! To make healthy choices always!!! To just embrace HEALTH each and every day for the rest of my Life!!!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 425 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 428 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 350 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?