A week before my surgery!

Dianamar
on 5/16/19 7:42 pm - NY

Update...my pre-op went well, and my surgery is definite for May 24th. I'm taking this step, because I want to enjoy the life I have left, as healthy as possible, participating with my family, not on the sidelines, but to the fullest! A bit nervous and excited. Will be back, soon after surgery next Friday!

Surgeon: Fernandez, Surgery on 05/24/2019 HW: 290, SW: 268, CW: 224, GW: 180

I exercise to be fit, not skinny...I eat to nourish my body...and I always ignore the haters, doubters and unhealthy examples that were once feeding me. I am worth a lot more than I realize, and that is my daily motivation!

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/17/19 5:29 am

A few pointers, if you don't mind:

• Read read some more on here.
  • Be careful with FB groups on RNY, in so many years I have not found one that I could stand be a member of. So much anabling. And a lot if bad advice.
  • Be prepared for anything
  • Read more, or run search function. Most likely someone asked similar question before, maybe even on the same page...
  • Don't get your feelings hurt when not many people would respond to your posts. We do have lives, and we are busy. Most people here are volunteering their time to pass the info, that once was given to us
  • Google is your friend. Often people would post a specific questions, like i.e about "PTH lab work results", before you ask "what is it" Google that, exactly ad it is. You would be surprised how much useful info is there
  • Just because you doc or but (nutritionist) told you you can eat something, it does not mean you should eat that.
  • When seeing responses from people, pay attention who it is. Did they have the same WLS as you? How far along are there? How are they doing so far?. I.e some people may tell you it is ok to eat carbs and continue losing weight, but if you look at their numbers, they may be in their 1st or 2nd year where as long as you roughly follow the plan, you would be losing. The question is - what about maintenance? The first 2 or even 3 years seam so easy, then comes the real challenge. Maintenance. I see a lot of people who stumble by the time they get into 3, 4 or beyond that year. I was "them". In what seemed in a blink of an eye I gained 30 lbs in my year 3-4, and it took a very hard work, dedication, and a norovirus to bring my weight back to my goal.
  • Have fun during the process
  • And lastly - take the good out of responses, ignore the bad, or what you would see as very negative rude comments. There are people from all backgrounds, and you can't see or feel the tone of their response. What is a simple question, you may read as "interrogation", or "how dare are you questioning my docs nutritional advice". We've seen it all.

Be patient. Stalls happens. Almost to anyone. If something would **** you off on OH, take a break, a day, or 2. Then try to see the other person perspective. If you still don't like it, you can always block that person. Just make sure that you don't block s possible valuable advice for the future.

I'll been blocked by some, and I blocked a bunch. Because they irritated me, and instead of being able to avoid them, to avoid responding badly to them, I just block them. If I can't see their posts - they can't see mine, and I can still get on OH and ty to pass knowledge, that I was given freely, or got through my personal research to others.

And - this is last one, I promise, some of us use English as a second (or 4th) language, plus I mostly use my tablet to read and respond, and sometimes it is my English, or sometimes it is my tablet that is messing up words or whole sentences. Get the message, but if my posts irritate you, just block me. I'll be fine. I promised.

Hugs. Hala

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Dianamar
on 5/17/19 3:31 pm - NY

I don't mind at all, thank you fo the very good advice you have given to me. Very valuable, I appreciate it!

I exercise to be fit, not skinny...I eat to nourish my body...and I always ignore the haters, doubters and unhealthy examples that were once feeding me. I am worth a lot more than I realize, and that is my daily motivation!

Erindil
on 5/29/19 8:44 am

How are you doing following surgery? Hope your recovery is going well. :)

Erindil
on 5/17/19 2:25 pm

Hope everything goes well for you in your surgery. Please keep us posted. :)

Dianamar
on 5/17/19 3:31 pm - NY

Thank you, I will be sure to post after surgery.

seattledeb
on 5/18/19 5:01 pm

Hey don't rush while the good drugs are going.

Immediate post op is about deep breaths,walking in the hallway, and sipping fluid.

Good luck.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 566 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 351 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 168 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 370 views