A bit scared...ok a lot scared

Melody P.
on 5/19/19 10:16 am - Amarillo, TX

i'm having my revision in 10 days.

how did you combat the scared feeling(if you had it)? I had some before my VSG but not like this.

I'm trying meditation to no avail. Listening to music helps in short spurts. The fact that I have to have eye surgery in June on both eyes(cataract stuff which is frustrating due to me being 38) is also adding to it I think. I've gotten a few coloring books to help keep my mind busy along with my hands.

any tips are appreciated!

peachpie
on 5/19/19 10:55 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Not sure if you are spiritual in any sense. But as I got closer to surgery I shifted my focus to praying for peace for the surgeon and surgical staff. I accepted that my life was in their hands- so those would be the names and minds I prayed for.

Just like they say about pregnancy- every surgery is different. Every single one. So having nerves is totally understandable.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Melody P.
on 5/20/19 9:44 am - Amarillo, TX

Thanks! Good tips :)

White Dove
on 5/19/19 11:21 am - Warren, OH

This sounds awful, but I updated my will and funeral arrangements, so nobody would have to worry about that if I did not make it.

When I had my surgery I had to sign a paper saying that there was a one in 20 chance of dying. Most died of blood clots after coming home or just general complications of surgery and morbid obesity.

Of course things have greatly improved now and the surgery is much safer.

After the surgery, I woke up feeling fine. There were some small incisions, so I knew I had been operated on, but not much else was different. It seemed like all the worrying was for nothing.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Melody P.
on 5/20/19 9:45 am - Amarillo, TX

Thanks! I do believe in having all my ducks in a row!

Haley_Martinez
on 5/19/19 4:34 pm
RNY on 05/03/18

Speaking to my surgeon actually really helped me. She said something along the lines of "The most common operating room complication is blank in which case we would blank and if that did work, we would then blank. The most common non operation complication is blank and we prevent that by blank and blank " which really made me realize that they have so many preventative measures and things that they can do during surgery. Like it's not like you just drop dead on the table, it takes something going wrong and then it would take them missing like 3 levels of action afterward. Basically I'm saying it's very hard for a professional surgeon to kill you with this procedure lol

27 years old - 5'5" tall - HW: 260 - SW: 255 - LW: 132.0 - Regain: 165.0

Pre Op - 5.0, M1 - 25.6, M2 - 15.6, M3 - 14.0, M4 - 13.4, M5 - 10.8, M6 - 13.8, M7 - 9.8, M8 - 7.8, M9 - 2.8, M10-2.4, M11-0, M12-7

Lower Body Lift with Dr. Carmina Cardenas - 5/3/19

Melody P.
on 5/20/19 9:46 am - Amarillo, TX

I did call this morning and talked my my surgeons Np who I like a lot too. Settled me a bit!

Cris1976
on 5/19/19 8:29 pm, edited 5/19/19 1:30 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XamZkWBSW-8

you can ear and think: were is the sound?

Is a simple tibetan thecnic.

stacyrg
on 5/20/19 8:41 am
VSG on 05/12/14

Can I ask what is scaring you? If you can identify the precise issue, it may be easier to combat? Is it the surgery itself? Something related to the conversion to RNY? What life will be like after? I fought my conversion to RNY, didn't want it. In fact it took almost a year of torture and testing and fighting insurance companies for any other treatment . . . any. other. treatment. before I'd consent to conversion. It was finally when my surgeon looked at me and said "if you were my sister you would already have had the surgery" that I knew it was time. When he walked in to see me the day of surgery he asked if I was going to run. I said that I wasn't, because I was at peace with my decision.

So, what's scaring you? if you can identify it I, as someone who has gone through conversion to RNY, may be able to offer some comfort

Melody P.
on 5/20/19 9:44 am - Amarillo, TX

I think it's just having to have surgery again. Not even so much RNY itself. When I had my vsg the first 24 hours after were really rough. I threw up no less than 20 times.

Then when I had my gallbladder out in February I got a slight wound infection AND strep throat. Thankfully a trip to the er and a shot took care of that.

i also have terrible anxiety issues on the best of days. My brain isn't shutting down. I also have ocd which has been doing a lot better but the unknown & uncontrollable is scaring me.

i trust my surgeon, very much so! My brain not shutting down i think is the thing bothering me most. I dream about it, not necessarily bad dreams. I started an adult coloring book & app and it helped me last night.

Thank you you for your reply. You are very informative and I thank you again for sharing.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 568 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 354 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 242 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 458 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 375 views
Recent Topics