Calling all Band to RNY Revisionistas

Leticia31
on 7/13/19 12:46 pm - Gilroy, CA
RNY on 07/02/19

I am 10 days post op from RNY. I was banded in 2008 and lost around 120 lbs. But in the past few years started experiencing a lot of problems with reflux and such and gained back about 70 lb. Long story short, had band removed in January and just revised to RNY on July 2. Just wondering from others who have revised, what your rate of loss has been. I've heard it is much slower with a revision. I know everyone's different, I just wanted to hear everyone's stories. So anyway, I'm back after many years! Here's to second chances!

Life is the most difficult exam. Many people fail because they try to copy others, not realizing that everyone has a different question paper.

Patty R.
on 7/13/19 2:50 pm - Harrisville, RI
RNY on 09/08/16

Weight loss is slower :( Restriction is a whole different thing as well... My best advice is make the most of the early loss: follow the rules, measure, weigh and log every bite! If you cook for your family, be careful of the little tastes, they add up quickly!

Good luck, welcome back

Lap-Band 2007 out 2013 RnY 2016 Age 64 5'6" HW 294 SW 284 LW 214 CW 235.2 goal 199

G. Dean Roye, MD FACS

Patty

White Dove
on 7/13/19 3:48 pm - Warren, OH

With RNY you will have the advantage of malabsorption That can help for the first few years. Restriction is said to be less with RNY than with a lapband. Your weight loss will mostly depend on what you eat.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Grim_Traveller
on 7/14/19 4:14 am
RNY on 08/21/12

One thing to keep in mind: those who had serious problems with the band often had a narrow range of what they could eat. Many found they could actually eat more after revision. If you might fall into that category, be careful.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Leticia31
on 7/14/19 9:59 am - Gilroy, CA
RNY on 07/02/19

Thanks for your responses. I do know this surgery is going to be very different from the band. After only the first couple of weeks, I notice the difference. Can you all tell me how much weight you lost since RNY and how long it took. I'm just hoping I will be able to get back down to my lowest weight with the band. I started at 256 lbs and got down to 140 with the band. This time my highest weight was 214, sw 202 and today I am at 192.

Life is the most difficult exam. Many people fail because they try to copy others, not realizing that everyone has a different question paper.

Queen JB
on 7/14/19 10:40 am
RNY on 07/20/15

I am a band to bypass!

The loss with RNY was definitely slower than my band, at my high weight I had 90 to lose. I lost 70lbs with the band in 9 months but I never got to my ultimate goal weight. At the time of RNY I only had 50 to lose, and it took me just about exactly a year to get to my goal. It was slow but steady and I am a BILLION times happier with this surgery. My GERD still pops back up occasionally, but it's nothing compared to life with the band. As Grim cautioned, one of my only problems is that I can eat so much more with this surgery, so it means I need to stay vigilant and choose food carefully.

I'm just shy of 4 years. It took me the full first year to lose and then I maintained for 2 years. Last year I had some major life changes that really messed with everything from food planning to exercise and I'm up 15 from my lowest weight. I'm back on track now and already losing quickly.

There is a Post Op Planner at the top of the page under resources, that might help, too!

Welcome to the revision club!

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

Leticia31
on 7/14/19 11:21 am - Gilroy, CA
RNY on 07/02/19

Thank you! I knew I could count on my OH family to give me helpful insights on what to expect. I too also had horrible reflux with my band the last few years so I'm so glad to hear that so many are happy with their revision to RNY. 1 year to get to goal would be just fine with me as long as I don't have to deal with the reflux I had before. Thanks for sharing your story! I'm a loser again!

bethmal
on 7/15/19 4:07 am
RNY on 12/26/17

I am a band to bypass revision. I had my band for 10 years and developed wicked acid reflux/gerd. It was awful and I couldn't live on medications for the rest of my life so my doctor said the band had to go. She gave us (DH had the same revision) 3 months to heal and then revised us to bypass. I have lost 105 pounds. I never thought I was a slow loser because the weight was coming off. I didn't compare myself to anyone else because this was my journey. I am so thankful for my second chance!

You can't measure your achievements with someone else's yardstick!

Revision from lapband to RNY 12/26/17 with Dr. Caitlin Halbert

HW 260 SW 248 CW 154 GW 145

Gallbladder removed 9/18

Beth

Ashley in Belgium
on 7/16/19 10:23 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Hope you are healing well - Welcome to a whole new WL experience! I am almost 6 years out from my Band to Bypass revision and I lived with the Band for 7 years....

For me I lost at an even pace with other non revision RNY folks; I didn't have the impression I was losing slowly. It took me a year to get to goal and I have been living for 5 years well below that, so I certainly didn't experience revision as being Slow - I never got to goal with my Band....

Best advice I can offer is to forget all about restriction - this isn't a thing with RNY. Measure your portions, stay 100% on plan through your first 2 years and then keep doing what works. I would have my RNY surgery every year if needed to continue as I am.

Good luck and keep posting! OH is a dead zone these days and there are quite a few of us Old Timers who like to pay it forward, but we need folks to share with!

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Annac
on 7/17/19 4:25 am - Royal Oak, MI

Hi! I'm scheduled for Sx next Thursday and will keep you posted. I'm nervous as hell, second guessing myself.... since it such a serious surgery.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 562 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 330 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 453 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 368 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 330 views