No restriction

Rnyjen
on 9/17/19 6:28 pm

I had RNY surgery almost 3 weeks ago. However, I have felt no restriction. I have passed through every diet phase without issues. I thought once I hit pureed stage I would start to feel full. I literally feel like nothing has changed for me. I am still always hungry. I know this can be from severed nerves from surgery. My question is how many of you had this, and for how long? TIA

(deactivated member)
on 9/18/19 4:31 am

I did . I felt constant hunger post op ( it must've been a " phantom" vagus nerve lol)

I think looking back it was excess food withdrawals combined with very real fear that I'd always feel this way ( empty ... kinda hurting inside... scared for my health with no source of comfort )

I held tite to my loving pet ...( a Persian cat ) who slept and walked every endless step with me practically tripping me winding around my legs as we walked 10 minutes every half hour when we were awake .

I also came on here a lot for support - back then there was a chat room so you could actually virtually talk .

Welcome to the losers bench ! It gets a lot better in the next two weeks and even better at eight weeks ... hugs

Rnyjen
on 9/18/19 9:11 am

Thanks! It seems like everyone on here worries about too much restriction or not being able to eat. I was getting worried.

Partlypollyanna
on 9/18/19 4:41 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Your nerves are still healing. It takes a couple weeks/months to come back, depending on how quickly you heal. Stay the course, measure everything -- eat the amounts you're allowed, not to feel full. Head hunger is a real thing at the beginning (and for me, ever after!)! Good luck on your continued progression.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Partlypollyanna
on 9/18/19 5:41 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Oh one other thing that has been true for me and my be for you -- that feeling of fullness is actually a step too far! I find that I need to stop when my measured portion is gone, or if it's something not measured (eating out for example), if I start hiccuping or my nose starts running -- STOP. The nose running is more frequent but the hiccups are more annoying.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Tracywaites
on 9/18/19 7:36 pm

My nose runs! I've recently learned that it's a signal my tummy is full! I don't enjoy the full feeling anymore it makes me feel bloated!

Grim_Traveller
on 9/18/19 5:17 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Yup, cut nerves and healing after major surgery. It's especially important to weigh and measure your food, and follow the proper progression.

For how long? Well, you'll continue to think that maybe you were in tgge placebo group, and never had surgery. Then in a few days or weeks, you'll eat something more solid, not chew quite enough, and you'll feel like a boulder is stuck in your throat, and you want to die. Then you'll know for sure how tiny your stomach is.

It sounds like things are going well. Enjoy it.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

selhard
on 9/18/19 6:17 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Felt little restriction soon after surgery? yes, made me question my WLS.

Felt restriction weeks after WLS? yes, although seldom, there was restriction. I chewed a papaya enzyme tablet in an effort to dissolve the protein causing pain. Possible contributors to restriction were either dry meat, taking too big a bite, not waiting long enough in between bites, or overeating. There were days where none of those reasons seemed to fit.

How long felt restriction? the first year, I would occasionally have a restricted feeling. I rarely feel restriction seven years post-WLS. A support group member ten years out still reports strong restriction--he also reported more than one stricture after surgery---makes me wonder if that is why he still has restriction and low regain all these years later.

MadisonRose
on 9/18/19 10:10 am
RNY on 01/23/19

I know I always felt hungry during the first few week and it made me wonder if I had really even had the surgery, but then one night I decided I'd have a half of a banana with some peanut butter and boy that night was I in pain! I was miserable! I think I just ended up eating too much. Once I got on solid foods and eating dense protein that restriction started to kick in. I too get the hiccups when I have had enough to eat. If I keep eating after that I'm in a lot of pain.

Surgery: RNY on 1/23/19

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 524 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 451 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 318 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 324 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 122 views