Anyone else become an alcoholic post RNY?

MedicAaron
on 9/22/19 4:45 pm - San Diego, CA

Yep, I'm that guy.... got healthy, became an alcoholic.... Does anyone have similar stories? Thoughts? My marriage ended as a strong part of it and I'd like to see if anyone has any resources or advice. I'm stuck in a pretty big hole and my outlook isn't looking very good....

White Dove
on 9/22/19 9:39 pm - Warren, OH

It happened to my friend's daughter. She had RNY, became thin and also became a drunk. She decided to go to a rehab clinic in California.

She drove to the airport and while waiting for a plane, she said she saw a sign that really spoke to her. The sign said "Bar".

We live in Ohio. Three days later, the police found her in a hotel in Pennsylvania. She does not remember anything after seeing the bar sign. When the policeman asked her for her driver's license, she said, "What is it with you people. The judge took my license away and now you are asking to see it?"

After notifying the family that she was found and safe, the policeman took her to an airport and put her on a plane for California. She was out there three months and seems to be doing better, but we all know time will tell.

There is a very real risk of cross addiction. I am so sorry that it happened to you. There is free help at AA and many clinics. Please get help.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

momyshaver
on 9/23/19 4:20 am
VSG on 06/28/17

I think that cross addictions to anything, (alcohol or any other behavior that becomes destructive when we try to numb ourselves or cope using that instead of how we may have used food) illustrates how important it is to understand that any bariatric surgery is stomach surgery. It isn't head surgery. We have to change how we cope and we can only control ourselves. If there was dysfunction or when life happens as it does, a lot of people struggle. I think that is why severe regain, (or eating around a surgery) happens so often after a few years out. If you don't get with a program, a therapist who understands bariatrics, AA, etc. you might find that unmet need or struggle manifesting in another unhealthy way. You aren't alone but be prepared to tackle the root issues head on whatever they are. I would not necessary blame weight loss surgery for the alcoholism or the end of your marriage but if areas are under strain I have read of it definitely being the straw that broke the camel's back because it is such a drastic change. Any large, sustained change can cause stress, positive stress can lead to growth and as you have experienced, the fallout of negative stress not coped with in a healthy way. I hope you can find a way to sort it out.

fickleme
on 9/23/19 7:08 am - Bessemer City, NC

Yep, I'm that girl... I had RNY 4-6-11... lost 140 lbs... felt amazing... looked amazing... health was amazing...

I started drinking wine 6 weeks out from surgery... It was only a glass or 2 here and there... it didn't take much to get me tipsy and then drunk... My then husband and I moved to the beach and lived in trendy little party area... so we would go out more frequently... I would drink more frequently and more of it... the more I drank the worse it got... I'd go from tipsy to drunk to blacked out drunk in no time flat... It definitely caused problems in our marriage... we separated and I moved back home... I began drinking even more... a bottle or 2 of wine a night... almost every night... it didn't bother that it's work nights because I never wake up with a hangover... EVER... my friends say I'm a freak of nature... I say I need help... it's been over 2 years since my separation and I can probably count on 2 hands the amount of times that I didn't have something to drink... it's not only wine now... I drink beer and liquor and wine... I black out almost every time I drink... I wake up with random bruises with no clue how I got them... I've woke up in strangers beds with no clue how I got there... I've gotten a DUI... I feel like total **** I've gained 30 lbs back... I've lost 2 really great guys because they couldn't deal with my drinking habits... I wake up every morning thanking God I'm alive... and swearing to myself that I'm not going to drink tonight... I have been lurking back on OH for a while now and I couldn't believe when I saw this post this morning... I have never written these words or admitted that I need help... I'm glad you had the courage to ask... I know my church has a program that meets on Thursday nights... after I post this.. I am going to go online and sign up to attend this week... I encourage you to find an AA program near you and go to... I know if I don't do something now that it will kill me... I have 3 children and 3 amazing grandbabies that love me and I love... I will fix myself for them and mostly for me... I hope you will do the same for you!

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/23/19 11:11 am

Hi. I am really sorry for you. I kind off was there, but not completely. I drunk to deal with pain. Then drunk to not be more in pain. I used alcohol to deal with stuff in my life. I don't think I ever got into a full addiction mode. My body got dependent on it, but I never like being drank. Or even tipsy.

If your drinking has been daily for a while, you may need a Doctor supervised medical detox. It is often not safe to just stop drinking. The withdraw symptoms can be really bad, including seizures. At the time you the least expect that. I hope you get help.

After I decided to stop drinking, I tapered it. But I was really motivated, plus I really did not like being drank. I never liked being drank. I liked that some of the pains were gone, or that I can just go sleep, forget about the pain, and stress, and the next day.. just try to ignore that.

I realize that the alcohol, that first was helping with the pains, eventually caused more pain in my joints, my pouch and my esophagus (GERD).

I went to my doc and asked him for meds to help with anxiety, and depression. The stuff I am now on, really helps me. So far - I am doing OK.

During my vacation in Europe, I chose to have some beer. BY the end on my vacation, on the way back home, I drank 6 beers on a plane. ugh. Once we got home, no more drinking.

I would like to be able to have just one nice cold beer when we are out. But unfortunately, I seldom would stop on just one. Therefore, I chose none. No beer, wine or any other alcoholic beverages.

My life is too good to drink myself to death. My partner deserves someone who loves them more than she loves booze.

I am on a path to get healthier. To work and make enough money to travel. And to be healthy enough to travel.

During my last drinking spree I gained app 30 lbs. Once I stopped drinking, and adjusted my eating I lost that regain. it took me "just" 6 months... while it took me 9 months to gain...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

fickleme
on 9/23/19 11:26 am - Bessemer City, NC

Thank you for the reply... I have a great life too and I am going to get the help I need... I will talk to my PCP about my problem... I like you wish I could be normal and have a beer or glass of wine and stop but I just can not stop once I start... I feel like I need to start with my circle of friends... They all know I need to stop but yet enable me because they all drink heavily... I'm encouraged to hear that you turned yourself around and have been able to get back on the right path... that's awesome!! I will have that story to share one day... I am tired of living my life as a drunk... I'm so much more than that... once again thank you for the advice and encouragement. {{hugs}}

Tracywaites
on 9/23/19 7:14 pm

You've shown strength and courage by admitting the beginning of a could be problem! There's been some good stuff on here that's been shared. I anticipate to hear your success testimony. Good luck

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/23/19 10:45 am

Hugs. I did not become an alcoholic but ... I sure was on a way to be one. I have no problem until I get a nice drink like beer... Then I want another, then another... then I just fall asleep.

I used alcohol to deal with my gut pain, and with stress. Then with pain of my back and joints. Then I was just drinking enough to not get withdraw symptoms and.. help with pain.

Since you know what is the issue - why do you continue drinking? Alcohol like some meds, only masks some issues and then cause others.

What is your plan? Detox and sober life? There are a lot of people who don't drink.

I was using alcohol to help me with pain (gut, joints) and stress (anxiety attacks).

I got help for both. My anxiety meds stopped working and my doc put me on something else. Then added one small pill for depression that the new meds didn't do much for. I also got a couple of surgeries to fix what was wrong (hernia + a damaged joint in my toe)

My SO is wonderful person and he was standing by me to "wake up" and get better. He is a wonderful man, he deserves a happy partner. Not a drank.

Why are you still drinking? What makes you go "I like what I am doing, I don't intend to stop".

What do you need? surgery? medications? therapies?

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

gordo71
on 9/23/19 2:49 pm

Yep, I'm also that guy. I had RNY in December and made it to my goal weight. I now blackout every time I drink. I've never enjoyed alcohol so much in my life, it's like it has a hold on me. I also never get a hangover. My wife is at her breaking point now. I am now 6 days sober and waiting for my third AA class to begin. Please people, be careful!

fickleme
on 9/24/19 6:24 am - Bessemer City, NC

Congrats on 6 days sober... It seems like such an easy thing to just turn away from but it truly is not... I pray for all of us that have went down this slippery slope and now trying to pull ourselves back up {{hugs}}

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 362 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 245 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 387 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 479 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 398 views
Recent Topics