How long does liquid stay in new pouch after drinking it?

TR_F
on 9/23/19 4:53 am

Hi. RNY 12/2018. Having trouble with bile reflux. Trying to figure out why.

This didn't start happening till about 3 months ago. Never had acid reflux before surgery. (I know the two are different. Completely!)

So my original question was how long does liquid stay in your pouch after drinking it.

I usually drink two cups of tea a(yes, 30 minutes), to wash everything through and to get up to my liquid requirement.

How long before bed should I stop drinking.

I've probably heard this from my doctor, nutritionalist and nurses. But I cannot remember.

White Dove
on 9/23/19 5:41 am - Warren, OH

It goes straight out. The pouch is like a funnel and open on each end.

Watch this video for a great demonstration of why no liquids with food

Do Not Drink with Meals

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

TR_F
on 9/23/19 5:57 am

Yes, I've seen that video!

I just had the bile reflux again last night.

I had just drank a cup of tea right before bed. I did set up for a little while. But I still had a terrible reflux last night!

I think I might have to go to the gastrologist like my doctor suggested. I really really really do not want to do that!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/23/19 9:23 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Why don't you want to go to the gastro doc? I would think that they'd be most likely to help find a solution to the problem and help you to feel better.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

TR_F
on 9/23/19 12:39 pm

They're going to stick a catheter up my nose down my throat into my stomach I just can't see that happening.

Tracywaites
on 9/23/19 7:01 pm

Actually it's an EDG and it's down your throat they sedate you and you won't remember anything! I've lived with GERD for over 20 years! Since surgery I haven't had any problems but at least let them see what's going on in your stomach! Good luck

momyshaver
on 9/24/19 3:53 am
VSG on 06/28/17

Is that a ph probe test? My bariatric Dr mentioned that to me. I can completely understand why you would hesitate. I have been dealing with issues where sometimes liquid seems to "sit" a bit. Not always though. I find pacing my sips a bit helps me but I realize everyone is different. I had a scope recently and the Dr. did not find a stricture so that is ruled out in my case. I have found that I not only have to stick to the guidelines of waiting after meals to drink my fluids but tune in to my body. It is not a hard and fast rule for me. I have to wait longer sometimes. If I have eaten something that sits a little harder I will test a few sips. If I feel them go through I am usually ok. You learn what works and what doesn't in time I think.

White Dove
on 9/23/19 10:30 am - Warren, OH

I take 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in 4 ounces of water. I had been on all of the prescriptions and find baking soda to work quickly and easily.

For some reason, baking soda helped when the prescriptions did not. Give it a try.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

TR_F
on 9/23/19 2:11 pm

I'm talking about bile reflux

I googled it and the baking soda water is good for acid reflux.

Are we talking about the same thing?

Tracywaites
on 9/23/19 7:02 pm

They took care of my bile reflux during my bypass contact your surgeon for sure

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?