Low blood sugars

Troy Roberts
on 3/17/20 8:54 am - CO

Hey you all I had my bypass 10 years ago . I have done great with it been able to keep my weight off. Went from 375 at my highest wieght down to around 168 to 175 . My question is,I was a type 2 diabetic. I have had a real hard time with my sugars dropping into the low 40 and mid 30 even a few times my meter would read low . My doctor start me on acarbose to help and glucagon inhaler when my sugar drops way too low. Does anyone one else have this issue and if so what do you recommend to help . I have had to leave work several times in the past year . Any hell would be greatly appreciated. And thank you in advance .

This site has always been my go too we are all great on here and going throw the same things.

stacyrg
on 3/17/20 10:56 am
VSG on 05/12/14

I have the same issue. I revised from VSG to RNY in 2017 and have had horrible hypoglycemia ever since. I drop that low on almost a daily basis. i'm also on acarbose, a drug called proglycem, and have the glucagon nose spray for when I'm unresponsive. Sadly, I don't have any good suggestions. I seem to do better when I stick to a high protein, moderate fat, low to no carb diet. I've been known to drop low after eating a salad or broccolini, which shouldn't cause my sugars to crash. I seem to do fine with the sugars in dairy, but sometimes an apple is too much. So really, there's no rhyme or reason. It's taken a lot of food modifications, and strict monitoring of what I eat, when and what activity I was involved in prior to the crash (I do much worse on the weekends when I exercise longer and earlier than during the week, where my exercise is limited to an hour and conducted at night), to even come close to getting a handle on it. And congratulations for maintaining your weight with lows like that. My weight has gone up because of the extra food (and sugars) i need to consume to get my sugars back up to a normal level.

Sorry I wasn't more help, but I sometimes take comfort in knowing im not alone.

Troy Roberts
on 3/17/20 3:00 pm - CO

Thank you for helping. The real problem I have is if I eat sugars after I crash I get even lower . And yes putting on weight again has me scared too. Plus alot of time I crash right after I eat so I can eat any more . It hard to deal with .

stacyrg
on 3/17/20 3:50 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

I usually crash 60 - 90 minutes after I eat. The only thing that will raise my sugar is a food or drink with sugar in it. So i always have apple juice, or some flatter soda on hand. Still, it happens so often with me, that those extra calories add up. Have you tracked to see if you can identify food triggers? I have and while it hasn't been helpful (I mean really, a blood sugar crash from broccoli? Lettuce??) it's been interesting. I now wear a freestyle libre glucose monitor so I can continuously track. My sugar stays in a flat line when I eat high protein.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 566 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 350 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 370 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 97 views
Recent Topics