Immune System

Megan B.
on 3/20/20 5:05 am - Southgate, MI

Silly question...

Being I had open rout n y surgery and my levels are always jacked up and I'm always fighting colds and allergies now because of my job, would I be considered immune compromised?

jenorama
on 3/20/20 8:13 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Not sure what you mean by "levels", but unless you're on an immunosuppressant, it's likely your immune system is fine. Have you been checked for any underlying conditions since your surgery?

Jen

Laura in Texas
on 3/20/20 10:36 am

Are you taking the vitamins and supplements that we are supposed to take?

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Au_Contraire
on 3/20/20 10:36 am

You are probably in a stronger position to remain healthy now than when you were obese. Obesity is often cited as a risk factor for having a worse outcome, should you contract the novel coronavirus.

The caveat to that is that being too thin can make you more vulnerable. When I last saw my surgeon this past summer, my body fat was at 15.9%. That is very low, as low as that of a serious athlete in the midst of serious training. The doc encouraged me to gain a *****e specified from 5 to 10 pounds - I weighed 125 and am 5'8") specifically in order to protect my immune system. He explained that if I were to get seriously ill, I would have more of an ability to fight it and to bounce back at a slightly higher weight than if I got sick when that thin. Everyone is different and not every 125 pound, 5'8" woman's body fat percentage is that low. A DEXA scan will show where you are at.

Momma2nicknmike
on 3/22/20 5:16 am - Beavercreek, OH

I have had a low WBC (white blood count) since my surgery 9 years ago. I catch colds more easily. The Dr. says there isn't anything else going on and thinks it's more common in those of us that had RNY.

Lynne    

SuMari
on 3/24/20 11:41 am

Great question! Following these comments, for sure!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 540 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 292 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics