Gastric bypass and psych meds

Nursegetsfit94
on 6/10/21 7:58 pm
RNY on 07/06/21

Hi,

I have my surgery scheduled for the beginning of July

but I wanted to ask about gastric bypass and it's affect on psych meds. I've been on a regime for a good couple of years now and I'm not looking forward to having to ride that rollarcoaster of feelings again because of the malabsorption of the bypass.

I am on Wellbutrin, Prozac, and buspar

I know Wellbutrin can come in liquid form but has anyone had any success with it still ??

thanks

(deactivated member)
on 6/11/21 6:55 am
RNY on 01/01/14

I've never tried Wellbutrin in liquid form but I'm very interested in finding out more about it because I use Wellbutrin to exercise . My experience is to stay away from the extended release pills and just take standard Wellbutrin when I get up ( 300 milligrams ) and another 150 in the afternoon if I need it .

Some people have success with Topamax ( often prescribed for migraines or anxiety) to reduce excess food cravings post op .

If you have trouble sleeping you may want to have something like Trazodone available to help induce sleep . ((()))) good luck with your upcoming RNY !

(deactivated member)
on 6/11/21 7:31 pm
RNY on 05/17/21

Hi,

I take Lexapro and Buspar and I haven't seen any difference. I am almost 4 weeks post op. If I ever miss a dose of Lexapro I have horrible brain zaps and fatigue. Since the surgery, I haven't had any issues.

Congratulations on your surgery in July!

aesposito
on 6/17/21 12:40 pm

Back in the day I had to double my Prozac dose post surgery thanks to malabsorption. But I only take it every few years for about six months at a time, so I don't know if that contributed to the problem. I guess you need to talk to your shrink, experiment, and find out....

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

Melody P.
on 6/17/21 6:01 pm - Amarillo, TX

I'm bipolar so i'm on a bevy of meds. With both my surgeries I had some issues. I had to switch things around a lot and I'm still fighting to find the exact routine of meds that'll work for me.

my advice is to just take as it comes. Fight for what you feel you need. If you feel you need a change jump on it as quick as possible.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 519 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 402 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 258 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics