8 years out and extreme pouch discomfort

Jodi1277
on 10/1/21 10:42 am
RNY on 02/05/13

I am 8 years out from RNY surgery. I lost 130lbs the first year but have eventually gained back 50lbs. Recently I have a nerve issue with my face and cant taste food very well. As a result I have been eating less and I think maybe too little cause my stomach is literally sore almost ALL the time, especially when I eat. Even eating an apple makes me super uncomfortable!! Any ideas why?? Could I have a problem with my pouch or did it just shrink A LOT?? I like the forced weight loss but not a big fan of the intense pain that comes with it! Any insight is appreciated!

White Dove
on 10/1/21 12:38 pm - Warren, OH

That is not at all normal and is not from your pouch shrinking. You need to get to a doctor and get this checked out.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 10/1/21 5:22 pm
RNY on 01/01/14

I don't necessarily agree . Yes a docs opinion is always welcome ( and a little risky during Covid ) maybe you could get a zoom consultation?

I too have had big issues eating and I'm much the same time frame as you with my surgery.

But I find if am properly hydrated, took my vites and forced some food down a few hours ago I'm ok .

It's super scary not being able to eat . Don't forget your vagus nerve got cut and that affects your hunger and even distaste for food .

But ya gotta eat .... so make healthy , fresh lowfat choices , exercise ( especially yoga which is super healthy for the digestive system and also your posture and youth )

And always please appreciate the great gift we all got - lifesaving surgery. Not everything is ever perfect but you can manage this ...... and it's a heck of a lot better than the alternative.

hollykim
on 10/2/21 12:38 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 1, 2021 at 5:42 PM Pacific Time, Jodi1277 wrote:

I am 8 years out from RNY surgery. I lost 130lbs the first year but have eventually gained back 50lbs. Recently I have a nerve issue with my face and cant taste food very well. As a result I have been eating less and I think maybe too little cause my stomach is literally sore almost ALL the time, especially when I eat. Even eating an apple makes me super uncomfortable!! Any ideas why?? Could I have a problem with my pouch or did it just shrink A LOT?? I like the forced weight loss but not a big fan of the intense pain that comes with it! Any insight is appreciated!

you could have developed an ulcer in your pouch or your remnant stomach. You need to see your doctors for an X-ray or ultrasound.

califsleevin
on 10/3/21 7:38 am - CA

Not to be alarmist about things, as this may be from many causes, but if you have something growing in there, like a tumor, that may have nothing at all to do with your stomach or RNY, but is putting pressure on your GI tract, it can cause such discomfort and fullness. In this worst case scenario, it is best to get things treated as soon as possible rather than waiting it out to see if it gets better, or trying home remedies. Get it checked out to (hopefully) eliminate that as a cause or get it under treatment before it gets worse.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

(deactivated member)
on 10/12/21 4:10 am
RNY on 01/01/14

For what it's worth I'm going to the doc too - first of all to get a long overdue blood draw and vitamin analysis.

They can tell a TON of stuff from that.... which is painless lifelong and necessary... like for instance if you have cancer or an ulcer or a viral infection that causes ulcers . All from a vial of blood .

You ( or I ) could also be low on iron .... which causes chronic fatigue and devastating symptoms in the long run ... (((())) I know you're scared ... me too .... but it's better to know and catch it early.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 562 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 330 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 453 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 368 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 330 views