19 years post op, menopause weight gain

jkosmatka
on 2/1/23 5:06 pm - Greenfield, WI

Hello everyone!

I haven't posted in a long time but I really need to know if anyone else has had this issue. If so how did you deal with it?

I am 19 years out and had some ups and downs but mostly have maintained my loss. Now as I have started menopause I am steadily gaining. I haven't really changed my eating or exercise habits. Things that worked before aren't working now.

Has anyone gone through this? Does it get better after menopause is done?

Thanks for your input.

Jennifer

Lady2This
on 2/1/23 7:57 pm - NC

Hi,

I'm 13 years out and have started gaining weight. I had also been maintaining my weight. I've now gained over 30lbs. I visited my surgeon today. They prescribed me an appetite suppressant to get back on track. Have you reached out to your surgeon?

jkosmatka
on 2/2/23 3:48 am - Greenfield, WI

Thanks, I reached out to my primary doctor who didn't offer any meds. She only offered for me to see a nutritionist. My surgeon and the clinic I went to is no longer there. So that's not an option for me.

Teenie
on 2/2/23 1:55 pm - Pittsburgh , PA
RNY on 12/19/17

You can find another Bariatric clinic in your area and access them. I changed Bariatric clinics about 1-year post-op and very glad I did. I am sure there is another one in your area that will see you. Best of luck.

HW 299 SW 290 CW 139 GW 140 2/08/2019 OPERATION: Surgical Hernia with excision of total surface area of 55 x 29 cm of abdominal skin.

jkosmatka
on 2/2/23 2:06 pm - Greenfield, WI

Thanks for the suggestion, I never thought about that.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/2/23 5:42 am

Unfortunately "I haven't change anything " is the answer to "why" your are gaining.

As we get older, and the hormones change, we need to change. What worked for us before menopause won't work after. Hormones have changed, you are no longer losing blood every month, so that can also contribute to weight gain.

The biggest change I need to make as I got older was what I eat to stop gaining and start losing. Mainly, limiting carbs, decreasing qty of foods I'm eating.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

jkosmatka
on 2/2/23 10:43 am - Greenfield, WI

Thanks for the info

White Dove
on 2/3/23 9:53 am - Warren, OH

The sad truth is that the less we want to weigh, the less we get to eat. Thirty pounds of excess weight means that you are eating 300 calories a day more than your body is burning. It takes approximately 10 calories a day to maintain one pound for a woman and 12 for a man. There are all sorts of gimmicks and diet plans but in the end it is how much you eat vs how much you exercise.

Every year you burn less and must eat have less food to stay at same weight. It does not get better after menopause. You have to track calories and you have to keep moving. I try never to miss a day on the scale because once I gain even one pound it never seems to go away. I have had that 30 pound regain and I have lost it, but it was not easy and if I relaxed, it would be back again.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 762 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 333 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 493 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 272 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 90 views